Davante's Toe: Not Serious

I agree with everything you said TW, but in order to give teams an incentive to sit guys rather than risk further/long term damage they need to change the rules to allow for dramatic expansion of rosters so teams can keep enough personnel to offset injury losses.
Unlike most other sports, football is the ultimate “team” sport where 11 function as 1. Most other sports are dominated by “individual” performance.
Until they figure out how to overcome that hurdle, we will likely continue to see players coming back from injury sooner than they should.

Maybe they should change the IR rules. Think in terms of having a few more guys on IR. Possibly setting up a 2 game, 4 game, 6 game, and 8 game IR rule. A max of 2 guys on each one? They could then expand the practice squad some, and the replacements for those going on what would be "short term IR?" The guys they shuffle on and off the 53 man roster could be from the practice squad, or off the street.

Of course there are hiccups in what I just stated, but there can be work around answers to those problems that would exist, like stashing players, and cheating in some way on the cap. It's workable, just needs adjustments.

It has always seemed to me that the IR rules in the NFL were a little arcane. It's the sport with the most injuries but any injury that takes a while to heal basically kills the season for the player and the sometimes the team. Something more like baseball, with fluidity between the roster and PS. Something along the lines of the 7-day, 10/15 day and 60 day lists MLB uses. Plus I have never really understood the game day inactives. Why not just allow the whole 53-man roster to play on game day.

The NFL IR rules are arcane. But like Pack said I think the issue is more about $$$ than what's best for the players and team.

$$$$. Sure they get a game check but some contracts have per game roster bonuses. Personally I think it’s a dumb rule

You make a good point, but it seems to me that the large majority of the inactives on game day are bottom of the roster guys who either don't have per-game bonuses or at least not large ones. I suppose there are a few big name players who are inactive due to injury that account for some bucks.

Back