DirecTV Rethinks NFL Sunday Ticket Deal Amid Cord-Cutting

You already can stream DirecTv - I do it all the time when I'm traveling. I guess my point is that without the NFL package, DirecTv's market share will tumble - there's nothing unique and it's over priced.

I think you're right. It will tumble. I can stream my Spectrum TV account anywhere I go. I even take a Roku, or Amazon Fire stick with me when I travel, and plug it into TVs in motels, and have access to everything I want. Sometimes I just use the stick with my phone, and my Amazon Fire Stick, with no internet. But, I do try to stay in locations where I can get Spectrum Wi-Fi if possible because it makes it so simple to get even the entire cable line up via the stick. Because of this, I should be able to go places over a weekend, and still stream the Bucks games on the TV wherever I'm at. As an example, when we go out to South Padre Island three or four weekends every winter and stay in motels with a nice view of the Gulf, and enjoy the great seafood. I can bring my stick along, and use it to watch the games on TV, and my wife can watch her shows on her tablet, or vice versa.

Things have sure changed. I can remember having a 50' high Rohn tower with a huge antenna and rotor, along with an amplifier, to get stations from a distance, and even then, they'd start washing out under certain conditions. Then there would be the skip signals from stations a long ways off. I can remember that when it was happening, living in Northwest Wisconsin. I'd get one out of Mason City, Iowa, and another out of the Texas Panhandle. That was back in the days when at 11 PM they played the National Anthem on stations and you'd get to look at test patterns until 6 or 7 AM the next day. FP(

Yup, remember those days as well. Not quite the same experience as you, but I remember my dad, the ultimate cheap-skate. being frustrated by not getting the Milwaukee games because those were blacked out for us. He was willing to spend money for those games, so we went and researched getting a high enough mast, a large enough antenna, and a rotor to get the feed from the Green Bay station, which aired the games played at County Stadium.

I'm guessing here, but I think DirecTV is looking to move their market into the non-satellite business, having it available over your existing internet, and using the Amazon/Roku unwired applications for around the house.
I don’t think so, any satellite service is a subscription model, not sure how you monetize that when retransmission fees would apply. Also steaming has its own issues. The ad revenue model is a challenge and that’s being kind, not enough people stream to begin with and when they do, especially sports the time spent viewing is low. It’s one reason the NFL is having an issue finding a streaming partners. They want a big rights fees number but you can’t drive enough revenue to justify it

i streamed the entire packers game on amazon thursday night. and i have streamed entire games from "alternative" sites in the past. who watches just a few minutes of a football game? and if someone is paying for a streaming package, aren't they far more likely to watch the whole game?

i streamed the entire packers game on amazon thursday night. and i have streamed entire games from "alternative" sites in the past. who watches just a few minutes of a football game? and if someone is paying for a streaming package, aren't they far more likely to watch the whole game?
The time spent viewing numbers are anemic even for NFL. Depends where they watch. At home? Office ? Places they can’t sit and watch for for 3 hours.

Last edited:
Just pulled some numbers for a Cowboys game last year. 2.5 million watched streaming. 21.5 million watched on linear TV. You can’t drive ad revenue with only 2.5 million or more relevant you can’t drive enough revenue to justify rights fees

isn't that a little misleading though? you have to have a consistently available streaming service that offers the games before you will get strong viewership numbers. offer the viewers that choice and they will buy it. imho.

I don't think it's rational to compare a streaming source to a live TV offering. The TV offering would be primary because it's readily available. The streaming source is available more to those who can't, or don't want to watch the game on TV. It also deals with a national audience in a lot of cases on TV, and more than likely a two team oriented viewing group streaming. I doubt too many Steelers fans give a hoot about a Cowboys game unless it's against the Steelers.

there are a lot of displaced fans who would love to follow their team, but only get a chance to see 2 or 3 games a year.

Reactions: TW
isn't that a little misleading though? you have to have a consistently available streaming service that offers the games before you will get strong viewership numbers. offer the viewers that choice and they will buy it. imho.
But whoever is the streaming service will have to pay a over a billion a year in rights fees and you need an audience to drive ad revenue.

Back