Dougherty: Packers should expect more after defensive overhaul

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay hasn’t fielded a defense that finished in the top 10 in fewest points or yards allowed since the 2010 Super Bowl season.

home

Continue reading...

If the assessment of what should be expected is correct, we should once again be the powerhouse of the NFC North, because there's no way that the Bears offense should compare to Rodgers and company. The expenditure of money, picks, and FA pick-ups could make for 5 or 6 potential changes on the defensive side of the ball, and that's dramatic. If it doesn't work, and the Packers D isn't as good as most think they should be, everything they did prior to the first snap this year is going to be judged as a failure by a lot of Packer fans.

On the other hand, there are some of us who believe that not all can be done in one year, and it will take a little time for the pieces to jell together. Improvement over last year, and being in the hunt for the North crown, and 9 or 10 wins could be considered a pretty decent jump. It could set them up for a bigger charge in 2020.

I'm not certain either opinion is correct to be honest. At this point I haven't seen anything as to how the players have taken to the system on defense, or as to how the Packers are going to super charge the offense to make them even better. I need to see it all play out on the field, not in our minds based on "coach speak" which is always a pep talk for fans to get them onboard with the product.

Not a bad article. Like anything time will tell but key pieces have been added and imo all are upgrades. I would take the smiths over clay and perry at this point everyday of the week.

The key will be forcing turnovers. We havent done that in a long time and the turnover differential shows in wins and losses. I'm not so concerned on having 1 guy getting sacks as I am a collective group getting pressure on a regular basis. If the qb is getting hassled and banged up all day they make mistakes.

It should be fun to see how this pans out this year. We have been screaming for an overhaul and new faces on d. That time has come.

I know that typically teams play very vanilla scheme-wise in pre-season, but if we see consistent pressure from multiple sources throughout the pre-season, that will be enough for me to be optimistic that they should show marked improvement in regular season when Pettine implements scheme.

Agreed. Only spot I feel that is an unknown is the guy next to marty. I know they can/will drop down a safety type next to him but they must be high on burks makimg a jump. The kid has the athletic ability. Also I think summer coild be a steal in the draft. Its a different game but i still want a guy that can get off blocks and play the run some.

I’ve read some nice stuff about the Crawford kid at ILB as well.
Last year he wasn’t signed until 10 days into camp and still made the 53 man roster for ST’s, and they had him playing both OLB and ILB.

So far in OTA’s he’s been ILB only and has flashed. He’s already pocketed 2 INT’s.
He should be someone to keep an eye on.

I know that typically teams play very vanilla scheme-wise in pre-season, but if we see consistent pressure from multiple sources throughout the pre-season, that will be enough for me to be optimistic that they should show marked improvement in regular season when Pettine implements scheme.

i know we've had several people on the forum telling us over and over that we shouldn't expect too much because this is a multi-year fix, but i'm excited about the defense. of course i have to temper my enthusiasm because it is based on all these exciting new players actually playing. i just hope we can keep the injuries in check.

The expenditure of money, picks, and FA pick-ups could make for 5 or 6 potential changes on the defensive side of the ball, and that's dramatic.

i read somewhere that it could be as many as seven new starters on defense.

i know we've had several people on the forum telling us over and over that we shouldn't expect too much because this is a multi-year fix, but i'm excited about the defense. of course i have to temper my enthusiasm because it is based on all these exciting new players actually playing. i just hope we can keep the injuries in check.

I'm excited about this year too. Not to win it all, but to see our defense brought up to a level somewhat similar of that which the Steelers employ. When you watch them play, you see guys flying around the field, making things happen. Have we got the guys to do that? I don't know, but it's going to be a heck of a ride watching them get there.... if they can.

The Steelers have used the 3-4 since the early 80s, and we know it works. Even in a bad year, they ain't that bad. It's a matter of getting the right people in the right slots.

Back