Family Night Round Up

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...vid-Bakhtiari-hurt-on-Family-Night-120397136/

In 2013, the Green Bay Packers moved Bryan Bulaga to left tackle. That grand experiment ended on Family Night, when he tore the ACL in his left knee.
Late in Saturday’s Family Night, two-time All-Pro left tackle David Bakhtiari suffered an injured left ankle. After walking gingerly on the side for a moment, he went back to the bench, took off his left shoe, got on a cart and was taken inside Lambeau Field for further testing.
“I don’t have enough information to answer that,” coach Mike McCarthy said the severity of the injury. “I know it’s his ankle but that’s all I know.”

For what it’s worth, Bakhtiari’s fellow offensive linemen didn’t think the injury was anything serious.
“I think he said he got his foot caught underneath him,” left guard Lane Taylor said. “Not 100 percent sure, but I’m sure he’ll be fine.”
Bakhtiari missed four early-season games last year with an injured hamstring but rebounded to earn second-team All-Pro honors. Based on ProFootballFocus.com’s pass-protection metric, he’s the best pass-blocking offensive tackle in the NFL.
“In Family Night, you never want to see dudes get nicked up,” Bulaga said. “Unfortunately, I’ve been on that end of the spectrum, so I understand it. But we’ll see what’s going on with him. In fact, I’m just going to go talk to him and see how he’s doing, but we’ll see.”

Bakhtiari was voted a second-team All-Pro each of the past two seasons. The last Packers offensive tackle to earn back-to-back All-Pro accolades? Hall of Famer Forrest Gregg.

The Packers have been down one man on their starting offensive line throughout camp. Bulaga returned to practice on Friday – his first since suffering a torn right ACL on Nov. 6 against Detroit. He did not practice on Saturday – part of the team’s plan to bring the veteran back slowly.
Without Bakhtiari and Bulaga, Kyle Murphy manned left tackle and Jason Spriggs lined up at right tackle for the final period, a two-minute drill.
“Just got to be ready to take reps whenever,” Murphy said. “Yeah, Dave got nicked up a little bit but probably not too bad, tough guy. It’s always next man up.”

Depending on the severity of Bakhtiari’s injury, it could be another setback for Green Bay’s offensive line and its quest to build some continuity for the regular season. Last year, Green Bay used 11 different starting offensive line groups.
“The sooner we can get the five we think are going to be the first five kind of starting to get a chance to jell together, the better,” quarterback Aaron Rodgers said on Friday. “Obviously, Lane and Dave have played some time together now, and Corey (Linsley) has done a great job for us. We’re still trying to figure out who’s going to be that right guard and if we can get Bryan in the mix. But I said it last time I talked to you guys: I feel better about the depth this year because, unfortunately, the injuries that we had. It’s one of our deepest lines that we’ve had.”

On Friday, quarterback Aaron Rodgers reminded reporters that it always rains on Family Night.
Sure enough, Rodgers was almost right. With storms approaching Green Bay, McCarthy hit the fast-forward button on his practice script.
“I thought it went excellent,” he said of the practice. “Obviously, we sped up the operation because of the storm. We wanted to make sure the players had the opportunity to get their families on the field and really just for the crowd, too, to experience the fireworks. You know, the adjustments you make. It actually worked in our favor because we got to go real fast with the tempo, which is what your goal is anyways. Obviously I’ll watch the tape, but I was very pleased with the work we got. We cut out a little bit of the special teams there, some fundamental drills, cut out a 2-minute period, and we also had a kicking contest at the end that we traditionally have done that what we did not do because of the storm that’s going to hit about 9:30.”
It worked. The fireworks went off, as scheduled.

A crowd of 64,702 showed up on a hot, humid night to watch the Packers practice.
Something they do every day a couple blocks away. For free.
Marcedes Lewis, the 13-year veteran tight end the Packers signed in May, was impressed.

“Man, this is something different. I don’t know what this is. I’ve never been a part of nothing like this,” Lewis said. “To have a stadium packed like this, just for a practice, I can’t wait until the season starts. The most important part is being able to feel that now, especially as a young guy, if you haven’t played an NFL game, being able to feel that energy and then being able to channel it. When I was young and ready to go get it and hadn’t played in my first game yet, it’s easy to blow your wad in the first 10 plays. That’s good for a dress rehearsal. Man, I’ve never been a part of anything like that.”

Said quarterback DeShone Kizer of his first Lambeau appearance: “The football tradition here is very similar to Notre Dame’s in the sense that there’s 70,000 people who are there to watch the game. They’re not there for the experience, they’re not jumping in pools or whatever these different stadiums have. They’re there to watch football, they’re there to support their Packers, and I think that’s very similar to what I was able to experience at Notre Dame.”

Rookie punter J.K. Scott punted eight times. The first six were from midfield, with the goal to pin the opponent inside the 10. His first five punts were fielded at the 14, 7, 10, 15 and 7, with the sixth landing a few yards in the end zone for his lone touchback. He averaged an impressive 4.51 seconds of hang time on those punts.
He backed up to the 35 for his final two punts. The first was a 50-yard bomb with 4.70 seconds of hang time. The second went only 43 yards with 3.92 of hang time.
Each of the snappers, Zach Triner and Hunter Bradley, had a high snap. Cornerback Jaire Alexander muffed the fourth punt.

New injuries: WR Randall Cobb (ankle; did not practice), RB Devante Mays (hamstring; did not practice), LT David Bakhtiari (ankle; left practice).
Old injuries: WR Trevor Davis (hamstring), S Kentrell Brice (ankle), RB Aaron Jones (hamstring), ILB Jake Ryan (knee), OLB Nick Perry (ankle), OLB C.J. Johnson (hamstring), RT Bryan Bulaga (knee), DT Mike Daniels (quad).
Returned to practice: FB Joe Kerridge (shoulder).
Cobb’s ankle is the same one that had surgery following offseason practices. After missing the end of Friday’s practice, Cobb said “we’re just managing the soreness.”
During introduction of the defensive backs, Brice jogged onto the field – a good sign, considering he was carted off the field on Monday.

PLAY OF THE DAY

During the pass-under-pressure period, fourth-round rookie receiver J’Mon Moore made a leaping, twisting, toe-tapping touchdown catch on a deep pass by Brett Hundley.
“Just a confidence boost going into the preseason games,” Moore said. “Just being able to have your quarterback’s trust and him trusting you enough to give me a chance to make a play. It’s just a stepping stone.”

As a whole, it wasn’t a great night for Moore or the other rookie receivers. Moore had two or three drops, including a deep ball up the left sideline on a perfectly thrown ball by Tim Boyle. Fifth-round pick Marquez Valdes-Scantling had two drops, including in the end zone on the final play of the night. Sixth-round pick Equanimeous St. Brown, who probably has outplayed the other two the past couple days, was stripped by cornerback Quinten Rollins.
“I did what I need to do,” Moore said of the drop from Boyle. “I created some separation, got on top of my defender. Just have to track that ball. It’s a little different tracking that ball under those lights. That’s why I’m glad I got that practice under my belt.”

After an off-day on Sunday, the Packers will practice at 12:15 p.m. on Monday and 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday to get ready for Thursday’s preseason opener at Lambeau against Tennessee. After that, there are only five practices left in training camp.

"Last year, Green Bay used 11 different starting offensive line groups".

Not sure if that's normal for an NFL team but that sure seems like a lot.

“Obviously, we sped up the operation because of the storm. We wanted to make sure the players had the opportunity to get their families on the field and really just for the crowd, too, to experience the fireworks. You know, the adjustments you make. It actually worked in our favor because we got to go real fast with the tempo, which is what your goal is anyways. Obviously I’ll watch the tape, but I was very pleased with the work we got. We cut out a little bit of the special teams there, some fundamental drills, cut out a 2-minute period, and we also had a kicking contest at the end that we traditionally have done that what we did not do because of the storm that’s going to hit about 9:30.”

I can somewhat handle the cutting of some fundamental drills but I would have lost it if they would have scrapped any of the pad level drills.

Worried about Cobb's ankle. Can he even be effective this year? Not a ton of depth at that position. Thanks for posting this!

Worried about Cobb's ankle. Can he even be effective this year? Not a ton of depth at that position. Thanks for posting this!

He'll probably be battling it the whole season. One of the young guys will need to step up. I'm hoping Cobb will be ok.

cobb hasn't done much of anything since he got paid, so i really wasn't expecting anything different this year.

Agreed, but he's supposed to be our #2 WR.

i firmly believe that graham is our #2 wr. he just calls himself a tight end. and with marcedes lewis and allison, we have a couple of experienced pass catchers that can provide alternative targets. i know i'm biased because i believe the packers got rid of the wrong ten million dollar receiver, but i just don't see cobb ever being one of the top receivers again. i think he was a one-year wonder who milked it for all it was worth.

i firmly believe that graham is our #2 wr. he just calls himself a tight end. and with marcedes lewis and allison, we have a couple of experienced pass catchers that can provide alternative targets. i know i'm biased because i believe the packers got rid of the wrong ten million dollar receiver, but i just don't see cobb ever being one of the top receivers again. i think he was a one-year wonder who milked it for all it was worth.
Graham being #2 is a matter of semantics. Fact is, we are very thin at this position, and what we had is now broken.

We got Davante and Graham, and a bunch of scrubs. Davante has a significant concussion history, and teams know they can take shots at him and Mike McCarthey won't retaliate. As for Graham, he's over 30.

It's time for AR to put his silly trust issues aside now. He has no choice.
A waste of 10M for Cobb last year and this year. If his ankle is already having issues just after surgery then he is screwed.

Back