Full Combine numbers show clear difference between Winston, Mariota

Cheesedog

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...how-clear-difference-between-winston-mariota/

Winston’s biggest edge comes from his one-loss-in-two-seasons track record at Florida State, which uses a pro-style offense under coach Jimbo Fisher. But with that same system generating a first-round bust in Christian Ponder and a potential first-round bust in EJ Manuel, at what point does the success of the players become attributed more to the coach than the players? (By the way, Fisher also coached JaMarcus Russell at LSU.)

Mariota ran a far different offense, and that has been the primary source of concern regarding his ability to thrive at the next level in a different one. But it’s impossible to ignore the fact that, athletically, Mariota has a clear edge over Winston.

I still think Mariota is the better pro. Just seems like the kid has the right mind set. tc(

Mariotta not going to start and do well years 1 or 2. In the right situation he'll be really good. If he winds up in CLE or TEN he'll wash out.

Mariotta not going to start and do well years 1 or 2. In the right situation he'll be really good. If he winds up in CLE or TEN he'll wash out.

Anyone who goes to TEN or CLE is going to wash out... ;)

It's all about system at this point. However, if I'm a team that is honestly looking at what next season will be like and wondering who could handle the diversity of losing better? mariotta seems more mature. Like he may be able to handle it better. I wonder if Winston can handle the mental aspect if he loses a lot of games early.

Winston's off the field red flags are enough that I wouldn't take him in the 1st rd much less with the 1st overall pick. Putting that aside, I can't recall a QB being taken 1st overall after throwing so many INTs. If he was a choir boy off the field, the INTs would give me pause about his future as a pro. If Mariota is allowed to learn and develop his game I think he will become a very good QB.

Back