Granato adding to his 2018-19 recruiting class in a big way

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Ranta_web-150x150.jpg

Four more players have committed to play college hockey for the Wisconsin Badgers on Thursday August 4, 2016. All four players will join the Badgers for the 2018-2019 season.

The first commit came from Shattuck St. Mary’s forward Sam Stevens. Stevens announced his decision via twitter:

Thrilled to announce my commitment to the University of Wisconsin! Proud to become a Badger! #GoBadgers

— Sam Stevens (@samstevens_18) August 3, 2016

The next came from Sampo Ranta, also a forward, who announced his commitment via twitter as well.

Proud and honored to announce my commitment to the University of Wisconsin! Thanks to everyone who have helped me along the way! #GoBadgers

— sampo Ranta (@RantaSampo) August 4, 2016

Ranta, a talented left-handed forward, who is originally from Finland, recently signed with the Sioux City Musketeers in USHL for the 2016-17 season. He comes in to the USHL having played for EC Salzburg’s U18 and second team, netting 23 goals in 23 games just this past season between the two teams.

Finally the last two commits came from twin brothers Christian and Cole Krygier. The brothers have both been tendered by the Lincoln Stars of the USHL and according to a statement released by the Stars organization, the intend to stay together as they head to Madison in the future.

“We knew we wanted to go to the same spot and Wisconsin was interested in both of us,” Cole said. “We were really impressed with what they had to offer. They have one of the best coaching staffs and some of the best facilities in college hockey.”

While they play hockey together they do play different positions. Cole is listed as a forward while Christian plays only defense.

The four join an already impressive 2018-2019 class making it eight total commits for the 2018-19 year.

It is clear that new Head coach Tony Granato and company have not wasted time in attempting to return Wisconsin Hockey to a premier level. Recruiting hard and backfilling a lot of needs with this class is going to be vital getting UW hockey back on solid footing for the long term.

The post Granato adding to his 2018-19 recruiting class in a big way appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

I hope Granato can turn it around. It was always a program that competed well, and had their share of championships. With the right recruiting, and development programs that draws players destined for the NHL, they could be back in contention in a couple of years, maybe three.

Back