Hepburn

That’s accurate but it’s also who else is on the floor. If you have 2 guys who can crate offense like say Giannis and Middleton it gives you some options. In Dallas Luka is the only real option using 2 examples. It’s part analytics and part matchups.
It's also coaching in a way to create opportunities, and that's lacking. All we see is the ball thrown in to one man, run the clock down, then throw up a desperation shot.

I've watched him run up to 10 seconds off the clock, standing outside, with nobody moving because they don't have a play in motion. I'm not going to argue this one. I see it regularly, and know what I see.

It's also coaching in a way to create opportunities, and that's lacking. All we see is the ball thrown in to one man, run the clock down, then throw up a desperation shot.

I've watched him run up to 10 seconds off the clock, standing outside, with nobody moving because they don't have a play in motion. I'm not going to argue this one. I see it regularly, and know what I see.
We can agree to disagree. That’s not concept of the swing offense. One thing that has not been an issue this year is spacing. Wahl and Crowl have gotten multiple opportunities on entry passes to the post and if they got doubled they kicked out. Creating opportunities also is incumbent on guys having the ability to create which is a problem expect for 2 guys.

When I see four players standing in 4 corners of the offensive end of the court, and a point guard dribbling the ball for 10 seconds, then throwing up a desperation shot because he's being fronted by the top defender on the opposite team, I am not buying that it's part of the swing offense. I call that just plain stupid. Not one of those 4 others even bother to move.

You're absolutely right. We will have to agree to disagree.

When I see four players standing in 4 corners of the offensive end of the court, and a point guard dribbling the ball for 10 seconds, then throwing up a desperation shot because he's being fronted by the top defender on the opposite team, I am not buying that it's part of the swing offense. I call that just plain stupid. Not one of those 4 others even bother to move.

You're absolutely right. We will have to agree to disagree.
And Hepburn did that once last night in crunch time. And worse yet the shot was early in the shot clock. All good. We see things differently

That’s accurate but it’s also who else is on the floor. If you have 2 guys who can crate offense like say Giannis and Middleton it gives you some options. In Dallas Luka is the only real option using 2 examples. It’s part analytics and part matchups.
I would say that in Dallas, they have the ball in Luka's hand way too often - but in the case of Luka, or Giannis, or Middleton, they do look to pass and create opportunities for their team-mates. I also think of James Harden, Russell Westbrook (Kobe Bryant at times) where when they get the ball, quite often it's a black hole and they're looking to shoot first.

I would say that in Dallas, they have the ball in Luka's hand way too often - but in the case of Luka, or Giannis, or Middleton, they do look to pass and create opportunities for their team-mates. I also think of James Harden, Russell Westbrook (Kobe Bryant at times) where when they get the ball, quite often it's a black hole and they're looking to shoot first.
They do but it’s more that he’s the only creator. Hardaway is more a catch and shoot guy. Agree on Harden, the younger Westbrook yes.

Here we are, a month later than my original post, and we're still seeing Hepburn throw up desperation shots at the end of games, to try to get a win. Of course he misses. The latest, against Northwestern, was totally embarrassing. He had several shots in the last minute, missed them all, and had players open who had easier shots.

This is nothing new with Gard. We've seen him use his PGs like this for years. Everyone who plays them knows it, and they force them into bad shots. Apparently Gard will never understand it, and therefore, must not be as good of a coach as some would believe.

Agree, this is part of the Bo Ryan/Greg Gard DNA. They both did it with their point guards and were both stubborn about it. When is works, it's fine, but as you said, too often it results in an embarrassing shot, or sometimes no shot at all. Gard needs to be less stubborn and switch it up sometimes in end of game situations. Teams know what's coming.

I'm still watching the games, but I'm not really connecting with this team. They've been tough to watch since the beginning of the New Year.

Interestingly enough, I read an article with an interview of Gard, and comments by Hepburn, and Gard hasn't been happy with Hepburn's last minute decision making. Apparently Hepburn disagrees with Gard. So, we have a guy who can't get it across to a player what should be done, and a player who thinks the coach is a doofus? An interesting combination of ineptness at two levels.

And by the way, this article came out after I made my comment, and way too late in the season if you ask me. I think this whole Hepburn/Gard thing is just the tip of the iceberg on the problems.

Repeatedly, I have watched "more experienced players" pretty much refuse to put the ball in Essegian's hands, and he's the one player out there that I see as having ice in his veins. He had a poor shooting night against Northwestern, but a lot of that has to do with the looks he got. They seemed to opt away from him constantly, when he had open looks.

I've been told I was wrong about this when it dealt with a player in the past, who left the program, about our previous point guard who was also a living god to Gard, and now again with Chucky. But.... it's out there..... it's a problem..... you just have to focus on what's happening near the end of games, and you can see it. Gard created it by not showing trust in his better players.

Back