How shapeshifter Bill Belichick has beaten a league built for parity for 18 years

A perfect article that points out what some of us have said. You revamp your offense and defense to take advantage of the capability of your players. Trying to fit square pegs in round holes don't work. Reshape the holes, so the pegs fit.

That means that you can reach out to free agents who can fill voids, if you can see how you can implement their skills into your game, through change.

Guys like McCarthy, who can't see this is the best coaching strategy will always be chasing behind a Belichek, trying to catch up.

Heard a great conversation on how Belichick schemed for the Rams by not aligning in the gaps. McVay and the Rams were reading run by where teams would line up in the gaps, but it confused them when the Pat's didn't do that. Didn't watch that closely so I don't know if that's true or not but it's interesting that Belichick is able to devise such a plan.

I mean, as the article says, Brady withstanding, Belichick has done a great job. I know players make plays and they win the games but come on, coaching has a lot to do with it as well and Belichick has become one of the best ever.

Heard a great conversation on how Belichick schemed for the Rams by not aligning in the gaps. McVay and the Rams were reading run by where teams would line up in the gaps, but it confused them when the Pat's didn't do that. Didn't watch that closely so I don't know if that's true or not but it's interesting that Belichick is able to devise such a plan.

I mean, as the article says, Brady withstanding, Belichick has done a great job. I know players make plays and they win the games but come on, coaching has a lot to do with it as well and Belichick has become one of the best ever.

Listening to interviews with Patriots after SB the DEF constantly switched schemes on the Rams. They rotated through man, press, off, gap, etc... Rams never knew what what going on. It's a brilliant plan, but how many HC's in the NFl today would try that kind of complexity?

To me break it down to a common man level. Quite simply, he went back to old school smash mouth football and the Rams weren't ready for it, nor could they handle it.

In defense once Pats lost their Safety some thought they would be toast. But either by choice or by necessity, Coach B went to blitzing and putting the pressure for various positions. The Rams didn't adjust and Pats did.

A perfect article that points out what some of us have said. You revamp your offense and defense to take advantage of the capability of your players. Trying to fit square pegs in round holes don't work. Reshape the holes, so the pegs fit.

That means that you can reach out to free agents who can fill voids, if you can see how you can implement their skills into your game, through change.

Guys like McCarthy, who can't see this is the best coaching strategy will always be chasing behind a Belichek, trying to catch up.

I do not think you need to be an Economics major for that. It is just common sense.

Belichek is just willing to change, put in the work, and put his ego aside which most coaches are unable or unwilling to do.

Back