Insider: Thumbs up to Blanchard, down to offense

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Former UW-Whitewater QB made one of his best plays of the summer Thursday.

home

Continue reading...

I know it's early but when your offense has trouble with the red zone in a game and now its happening in practice, I get a little worried.

I am sure its too early to worry about it, though.

It's never too early to worry.

lol. spoken like a true half-empty kinda guy.

on another subject, i keep looking but i can't find a definitive answer on whether matt blanchard has any remaining practice squad eligibility. pete dougherty must think he does since he starts off this article saying that blanchard could end up on some other team's practice squad. but blanchard has been in the league three years and was on the practice squad in chicago for one season and carolina for at least parts of two seasons (not sure how much of a season is needed to count as a season).

lol. spoken like a true half-empty kinda guy.

on another subject, i keep looking but i can't find a definitive answer on whether matt blanchard has any remaining practice squad eligibility. pete dougherty must think he does since he starts off this article saying that blanchard could end up on some other team's practice squad. but blanchard has been in the league three years and was on the practice squad in chicago for one season and carolina for at least parts of two seasons (not sure how much of a season is needed to count as a season).

Here you go RB:
Practice squad basics
Each NFL team can have up to eight players on their practice squad.
Practice squad players ... practice with the team. They do not play in games.

Not all players are eligible to be signed to NFL practice squads (more on that below).
Practice squad players are paid per week and can be released at any point during the season.
Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, assuming they are signed to the 53-man active roster. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released.
A practice squad player can not sign with their team's upcoming opponent, unless they do so six days before the upcoming game or 10 days if their team is currently on a bye week.

If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, they will receiver a minimum of three paychecks, even if they are released before spending three weeks with the team.
In order to be signed to a practice squad after being released, a player must first clear through waivers.

Eligibility

Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.
A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.

A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times

However, the NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to expand NFL Practice Squads for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Absent an extension of the agreement, the current rules will be reinstated beginning with the 2016 season.

Under the agreement, 2014 and 2015 Practice Squads will increase from the current maximum of eight players to 10 players.

In addition, the criteria for Practice Squad eligibility has been expanded in two respects.

First, a player must have a minimum of six games - up from the current three games - on a Practice Squad in order for that season to count as one of the player's three permissible seasons of Practice Squad service.

Second, each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club's 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.

So, is Blanchard eligible or not? :)

exactly. i am perfectly capable of looking up the rules, mark. how about just providing an answer? my interpretation of those rules is that he is not eligible - which is what i have been saying all along. but i continue to see professional sportswriters make comments that would seem to indicate otherwise.

Gee next time I won't even attempt to answer .... however if you would actually read the post thoroughly you would have seen this :

[BCOLOR=#ffff00]Second, each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club's 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.[/BCOLOR]

He didn't ...so he is. As it stated the rules changed for 2014-15 to allow this. He would be someone's exception player.

Third string QB at best. GB is invested in Hundley so it won't matter really.

Gee next time I won't even attempt to answer .... however if you would actually read the post thoroughly you would have seen this :

[BCOLOR=#ffff00]Second, each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club's 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.[/BCOLOR]

He didn't ...so he is. As it stated the rules changed for 2014-15 to allow this. He would be someone's exception player.

and i say he's already got three accrued seasons on a practice squad, which means he is ineligible for that exception. but i'm saying that without actually knowing if he spent six weeks or more on carolina's practice squad in each of the two seasons that he was with them. if either one of those two seasons was less than six games on the practice squad then it is possible that he could be eligible for one more year on somebody's practice squad if they use that exception which you have highlighted above.

Last edited:
Back