Instant Reaction: Wisconsin vs. Rutgers

Except for the lack of an inside scoring punch, I thought the Badgers looked pretty good. I don't like their lapses during a game though. Against seriously good teams, it's a game changer.

Their inside scoring is suspect, but maybe that's OK. They had plenty of it the last few years with Happ and that didn't get them anywhere either. It would be nice to see them more balanced, but right now this is what they've gotta do - hit from midrange and outside. Reuvers and Potter do have some inside skills but not like Happ. Ford just doesn't seem to have that skill and their guards are not athletic enough to penetrate and finish around the rim unless there is a defensive mistake.

What's made the difference in the last month or so have been Pritzl and Trice and to some extent Potter. Pritzl by doing more, Trice by doing less. Pritzl is finally showing that shooting touch that's been talked about for years. Plus he's rebounding and playing defense. Trice has been decent on defense and has done a better job of running the offense and being more selective with his shot. Potter is contributing a bit more as well, though he still has defensive lapses.

I think they make the tournament though I suspect they don't get past the first weekend.

Its been addition by subtraction since King left, its given Pritzl a chance to get more minutes and its payed off not just scoring but rebounding. Trice has played some great ball the past month or so, his asset to TO ratio is excellent and again seems more comfortable with King out . I like Potters game both inside and out but as 57 pointed out his defense lapses have cost this team more than a couple of times, mostly on pick and roll situations.

As to the game yesterday,
  • I really thought we did well to contain Baker and Harper, not one guy on this team can play them one on one but Ford and Pritzl played very good help defense
  • Not sure we win without Trice on the 15 foot pull up or Davison 3, Rutgers has momentum but as has been the last month different guys have stepped up and made key shots.
  • Wahl needs to just finish at the rim or kick out, I get he need a year in the weight room but the last 3-4 games he's lost some confidence and maybe the legs are gone. With the short bench we need his minutes
Favorable schedule next 4. Road games at Michigan and Indiana are winnable and should take care of business at home so looks like 12-8 conference and 19-12 is doable and a good shot at 4th in the league and that gets a double bye 7 seed I think is the ceiling, 9 seed the bottom in the NCAA's, matchups then matter more than seed

Back