Interesting off season diagnosis of Packers

TW

Reaction score
I didn't agree with some of what was stated in this article, but I did find it interesting to the point of giving a lot of scenarios of what we may be seeing during this off season with the Packers. It's worth reading, and considering that some of it just might be true.

Upon Further Review, you get an F!

The whole premise is faulty. I know it’s a “what have you done for me lately” league but they went all in last offseason and a team simply can’t do that every year. They did 3 years worth of FA spending in 1 year, and the bill comes due at some point.

The salty part is they did it on top of paying crazy money for an aging HOF QB.

I think the Packers saw the ass whipping by the 49ers as they can't compete in the NFC and that you might as well start looking past Rodgers and trying to build the team the way the new HC wants it to be so he can try to make this team compete in the way he wants. HC don't get 5+ years to often anymore to show they are going in the right way. ML knows he has to have this team ready to hit the ground running in the way he wants in a couple years when Rodgers is gone. That means getting rid of any guys he does not want who were under the TT/MM regime. Gute/ML are going to build this team with the guys they want to have this be their team not someone else's team.

this quote from the article sums up my feelings:

NFL teams shouldn’t think about five-year plans. Trying to draft a quarterback “for the next 10 years” is even more laughable. Look around. Which teams are giving coaches and general managers five years to work things out? Not many. That’s why the Packers’ offseason was surprising. The pick of Jordan Love seemed to ignore that the timeline doesn’t really work for them to maximize value from the pick, not to mention there will likely be another Love-type prospect in next year’s draft ... and the draft after that, and the draft after that. The Packers did themselves and Rodgers a disservice by not being more proactive to win it all in 2020. Players like Rodgers don’t come along often and Super Bowl windows aren’t open for very long.

and no, we couldn't afford another offseason like last year in free agency. but we could have found at least one real difference maker in the first round of the draft. and maybe an immediate starter in the second or third round.

this quote from the article sums up my feelings:

and no, we couldn't afford another offseason like last year in free agency. but we could have found at least one real difference maker in the first round of the draft. and maybe an immediate starter in the second or third round.

Interesting point. The idea of long term plans gets screwed up pretty badly when you start having to overspend to keep your guys who can leave via FA. We may be in the last year of the Rodgers window.

What bothers me most with the Packers is this idea that as long as they keep their name in the hat as a dark horse, and contend for the Central crown, that keeps the peasants happy. I think that's a bad mindset, but it's been there as long as I've been a Packer fan. The BOD is more concerned about maintaining respectability each year than going all out to win championships.

They will talk a good game but the bottom line? Look good!

What bothers me most with the Packers is this idea that as long as they keep their name in the hat as a dark horse, and contend for the Central crown, that keeps the peasants happy. I think that's a bad mindset, but it's been there as long as I've been a Packer fan. The BOD is more concerned about maintaining respectability each year than going all out to win championships.

They will talk a good game but the bottom line? Look good!
It’s just not possible in the present salary cap era to go all out each year to win. The reality is you have about a 3-5 year window and then the check comes due. We have been fortunate to have stability at QB that has allowed a long run. But even with that this team has holes, depth is a major concern and drafting is a crap shoot, as it is for all teams now. Look around the league , yeah maybe NE is an exception but that division almost guaranteed them 6 wins alone every year.

It’s just not possible in the present salary cap era to go all out each year to win. The reality is you have about a 3-5 year window and then the check comes due. We have been fortunate to have stability at QB that has allowed a long run. But even with that this team has holes, depth is a major concern and drafting is a crap shoot, as it is for all teams now. Look around the league , yeah maybe NE is an exception but that division almost guaranteed them 6 wins alone every year.

You're absolutely right. You can't stay at that level for extended periods of time. The cap situation kills you. That's why I don't think the Packers are going to invest one nickel into extending Rodgers' contract. They'll make a two year offer with more incentives than base, then walk him out after the first year, letting Love have the job, good or bad. The Smiths will be going, we'll probably lose the only WR we have (Adams), and the three guys we have on the offensive line who are mainstays will also be gone.

Then we hear about the "youth movement," as it's making the team more competitive. Any guesses as to how many times I've heard that?

This is usually followed by several years of complacency and reduction of long term contracts, and eventually, a new set of leaders who vow that this will not happen under their watch. Then they work for a championship. But, that probably won't even begin until around 2025 or 26.

You're absolutely right. You can't stay at that level for extended periods of time. The cap situation kills you. That's why I don't think the Packers are going to invest one nickel into extending Rodgers' contract. They'll make a two year offer with more incentives than base, then walk him out after the first year, letting Love have the job, good or bad. The Smiths will be going, we'll probably lose the only WR we have (Adams), and the three guys we have on the offensive line who are mainstays will also be gone.

Then we hear about the "youth movement," as it's making the team more competitive. Any guesses as to how many times I've heard that?

This is usually followed by several years of complacency and reduction of long term contracts, and eventually, a new set of leaders who vow that this will not happen under their watch. Then they work for a championship. But, that probably won't even begin until around 2025 or 26.
I don’t think he even sees another contract in GB

Back