Interesting stat on QBs and Super Bowls.

Terranimal

Reaction score
So was watching first take in ESPN this morning and talking about the Boys and Zak's new deal.

Said he earned it but doesn't deserve it.

Not really point of the thread but this is. Players like Wilson, Rodgers etc, all won Super Bowls before cashing in and haven't made it back since. Throw Rothenberg and others in there too.

The argument is that these QB's get over paid and then teams are strapped for money for other players.

Understand the point not sure I agree with it. Pack had chances and blew it and other factors.

Now if that happens with Mahomes also then maybe there is something to this line of thought

So was watching first take in ESPN this morning and talking about the Boys and Zak's new deal.

Said he earned it but doesn't deserve it.

Not really point of the thread but this is. Players like Wilson, Rodgers etc, all won Super Bowls before cashing in and haven't made it back since. Throw Rothenberg and others in there too.

The argument is that these QB's get over paid and then teams are strapped for money for other players.

Understand the point not sure I agree with it. Pack had chances and blew it and other factors.

Now if that happens with Mahomes also then maybe there is something to this line of thought
Don’t buy it. Multiple factors in play

I do believe that is part of the equation to be honest. It's logical. You put more money into one position and you have less to throw at improving where you have weaknesses. It's common sense. Terranimals point is a good one.

I think it does play a part when you are paying a QB 17-20% of your cap you are limited on what you can spend elsewhere. We have seen teams with young cheap QBs have been able to go out and spend on the defense. Once you get that QB going from maybe 2 million a year to 30 million a year that takes away some things you can add to the team

Reactions: TW
Brady is the outlier here. He skews the data, and Eli had lightning strike him (twice). o_O
Then Eli's brother (the other Manning) got his second one, but with a different team (DEN) that had to go "all in", so deep, to get him there that their record since that SB win is 27 - 37 over the next 4 seasons and they have not been back to the playoffs since.

Everybody’s cap functions differently. It’s not an absolute. You might have a QB under a rookie contract but have other guys at other positions making max deals. Ifs still about a 52 man roster

Back