Is 2020 recruiting class make-or-break for Badgers & Gard?

Remember though Gard now in back to back years has missed tourney and suffered embrassing loss to a 12 seed. Another 1-2 years of that he would deserve to be canned

Did you see the team that missed the tournament

• 2 top players out for the season with injuries
  • Davison playing with one arm
  • Reuvers should have been a RS
  • Anderson top PG reserve out for season
Now add in Ryan's last recruiting class and Bobby Knight would have been hard pressed to go 500

Ryans last class
Van Vliet
Illikean
Thomas

Reactions: TW
I think you're emphasizing team record more than his recruiting ability. That's what interests me. If he can't get kids that play well enough to be competitive, it doesn't matter. Until I see consistency in the kids they bring into the system, the jury is out.

Right now, the Hauser recruiting seems to be on a lot of people's minds. I don't care one way or another about them to be honest. I want to see the raw talent Gard and his group can bring in, and turn into competitors.

As I said, way back when they were looking for a coach, they should have done everything they could to get Bennett to find a way out of Virginia, and to Madison. The guy not only coaches, he recruits well. He's going to keep pulling some of the best talent out of Wisconsin year after year, because he has charisma.

I think you're emphasizing team record more than his recruiting ability. That's what interests me. If he can't get kids that play well enough to be competitive, it doesn't matter. Until I see consistency in the kids they bring into the system, the jury is out.

Right now, the Hauser recruiting seems to be on a lot of people's minds. I don't care one way or another about them to be honest. I want to see the raw talent Gard and his group can bring in, and turn into competitors.

As I said, way back when they were looking for a coach, they should have done everything they could to get Bennett to find a way out of Virginia, and to Madison. The guy not only coaches, he recruits well. He's going to keep pulling some of the best talent out of Wisconsin year after year, because he has charisma.
Bennett was never coming to Madison. And I am sure you know the reason.

Does he recruit well? Thing is since he’s been at UVA he’s got 1 kid out of Wisconsin in 10 years who ended up transferring to Northern Iowa. And at UVA averaged 3 points per game. Overall let’s be honest he’s got a better recruiting base in the area than Madison.

The Hauser thing does matter. And he’s brought in kids who can compete. Last years injuries decimated that team Gard has 2 sweet 16’s. Beat a one and two seed in tournament and he bashed for one outlier game vs the same Oregon team that only lost to Virginia by 4 in the tournament.

This is not much different than Bo. Look back at some of his tournament embarrassing moments

I'm certainly not going to judge how good a job Gard is doing on whether or not the Hauser brothers decide to go to Wisco or not at this point. I have no idea where you're coming up with some of these comments. Nobody is throwing Gard under the bus, but I do have concerns about recruiting and the future of the program.

What happens with the Hausers on their jumping ship at Marquette, and where they go, shouldn't effect Gard at all. He's certainly not going to dump kids he's committed to for them. If he did, he'd be seriously hurting any future recruiting.

Now, I believe the Badgers have one open scholarship because of Strickland, possibly two. If there are two, and no commits, by all means, offer the two kids a shot. But, don't pursue them like you were looking for them to "save the program."

I'm certainly not going to judge how good a job Gard is doing on whether or not the Hauser brothers decide to go to Wisco or not at this point. I have no idea where you're coming up with some of these comments. Nobody is throwing Gard under the bus, but I do have concerns about recruiting and the future of the program.

What happens with the Hausers on their jumping ship at Marquette, and where they go, shouldn't effect Gard at all. He's certainly not going to dump kids he's committed to for them. If he did, he'd be seriously hurting any future recruiting.

Now, I believe the Badgers have one open scholarship because of Strickland, possibly two. If there are two, and no commits, by all means, offer the two kids a shot. But, don't pursue them like you were looking for them to "save the program."
They are not in a saving the program mode. It’s just fine. Right now they have 2 spots open. Hauser kids help the program it’s that simple. They are a known commodity at the D1 level. And overall recruiting is fine. 2 4 star kids in 2 years and Wahl is going to contribute next year. If people have issue with Gards recruits they should have had the same issue with Bo

Packinatl - Once again, you're reading things into a statement that isn't there. I'm not going to argue over something that neither of us can speak with certainty about since we don't have crystal balls to see what happens over the next two years. But, please do remember that what you offer is opinion, just like the rest of us, and often, you're wrong, just like the rest of us.

I think it's time to end this thread.

I think it's time to end this thread.
Why? As for the Hauser boys I have personal knowledge of that situation, not sure anything anyone is reading has been truth thus far. I knew Marquette was a poor choice when they pulled the trigger.

Then you know more about it than any of the rest of us. So, enlighten us as to why they made the decision they made?

Then you know more about it than any of the rest of us. So, enlighten us as to why they made the decision they made?
Hauser boys are unique in that Mom and Dad were BB coaches, that style of BB wasn't fully their cup of tea. Wojciechowski and Joey didn't jive from day 1 which led Sam to stick up for his brother. Bottom line they were at an impasse. I am not buying the Virginia report because they moved to point after the Bennett's were a thing. Knowing their parents David and Deb like I do I would think they have a plan already but it'll be tight to the vest and might even surprise people.

Just for clarification I was on David Hausers first BB staff way back in 1993. We exchange emails every now and then.

• Informative
Reactions: TW
Now that's an excellent analysis based on facts. I wouldn't even guess where it goes from here, but I can see you might have an idea where it will end up. I can also understand why you wouldn't share that specific information with us because it would be breaking a confidence, so to speak. The Hausers have to make their own decision what's best going ahead.

The only question I'd ask is if they have styles that would match up with the Badgers? You don't need to answer. I'd understand.

Back