Jim Leonhard on Mertz

TW

Reaction score
I read a few articles on this issue. I had no idea that the Badgers QB room had been one where the QBs were pretty much tasked with listening, and just doing what they were told. But, that's pretty much what I've been seeing with most of the articles. It appears that the Chryst mentality is that the QB just does what he's told, the coaches will do all the thinking for them. If that was the mentality across the board, on offense, I can see where they've stalled.

Although, I agree somewhat to the philosophy that coaches coach and players listen and execute, I do know that you need the players to speak up, and help dissect what you're doing on the field in practice and games. They need to help coaches find what the player is comfortable with, so they can make informed calls from the sideline, and insure that the way a play is executed, works to the team's advantage, by everyone trusting the process.

Yes, coaches coach.

Unbelievable. Agree with TW, how can you not be getting player input. If they're just sitting there 'listening you know they're going to tune out. I would tune out if I'm in a meeting about what I'm supposed to do but my input isn't wanted.

Sometimes it is the simplest of things.

I can't imagine a quarterback room where the quarterbacks don't have any input about what type of play to run at what time. But I guess it was near State Street.

Hopefully, regardless of who becomes the new coach, that is in the past - way past.

Back