Jim Leonhard will NOT return

Very surpised. I thought he might have just taken a year off. Guess his heart bleads red and white. Guessing he gets something like a Co-DC/Assistant HC title?

I think Fickell made it clear to Jim that he is more than willing to let him explore options as he sees fit. That would include fielding calls about his taking jobs elsewhere. I think the whole idea of what he did is to insure that there will be an amicable separation, if and when Jim leaves. This is a wise decision, because Jim can be a treasure trove of help recruiting in state if he stays, and won't be a hindrance, except for competition in recruiting, if he leaves.

I still believe it's 50/50 that Jim leaves. But at least it's not a messy divorce.

As for Mertz. I've said since before Chryst was fired, that Mertz was going to end up in the portal. I know someone who's son knows him very well, and the frustration level for him was so high that this was about the only choice he had. Rest assured, it isn't something he wanted to happen, but in the end, it's given him peace of mind, and he deserves that.

According to the same source, Mertz went all in, and did what was asked of him, by Chryst, and it just plain didn't work with him. He's felt for quite some time, he'd be better off elsewhere. This pretty much made him want to go elsewhere, where he could start with a clean slate. I think it was a good choice, for him, and the Badger program. I wish him well.

I might also mention that I have family living in Olathe, & Overland Park, KS.

Just one more thought/ note on Mertz. Assuming Fick brings a similar system to UW, that’s not the skill set #5 brings to the table and I would think he’s smart enough to understand that. Lot of nice “coach speak” that he wanted him to stay and that’s fine, no issues with that. Even JL has made comments that he would prefer a dual threat type QB so even if he would have got the gig Mertz was about as good as gone

Potrykus is, rightfully, getting all sorts of crap over this, his reports of what the Badgers were offering ($$) a coach, and who that coach was gonna be.

Not sure how a guy keeps his credentials after getting three major stories in a row just dead wrong.

Just one more thought/ note on Mertz. Assuming Fick brings a similar system to UW, that’s not the skill set #5 brings to the table and I would think he’s smart enough to understand that. Lot of nice “coach speak” that he wanted him to stay and that’s fine, no issues with that. Even JL has made comments that he would prefer a dual threat type QB so even if he would have got the gig Mertz was about as good as gone
Mertz had already seriously contemplated leaving before Chryst was fired. I mentioned it back then. This whole thing just made it easier for him to do it, without it appearing like sour grapes.

Good for him! The guy deserves an opportunity to show what he can really do.

Now you need to question whether or not you're going to lose Allen, and a few other better players on the team. How do they actually fit into the schemes that Fickell will be running? Same thing on the D. We might ask ourselves if there's a couple guys, maybe more, who contribute greatly, who will leave, if Jimmy does.

Then, ask yourself if they fit into the new defensive schemes that the new staff will be bringing to the table, if there's no Leonhard input.

In reality, not too much of it really matters, because we have no idea what the roster will look like next August.

Mertz had already seriously contemplated leaving before Chryst was fired. I mentioned it back then. This whole thing just made it easier for him to do it, without it appearing like sour grapes.

Good for him! The guy deserves an opportunity to show what he can really do.

Now you need to question whether or not you're going to lose Allen, and a few other better players on the team. How do they actually fit into the schemes that Fickell will be running? Same thing on the D. We might ask ourselves if there's a couple guys, maybe more, who contribute greatly, who will leave, if Jimmy does.

Then, ask yourself if they fit into the new defensive schemes that the new staff will be bringing to the table, if there's no Leonhard input.

In reality, not too much of it really matters, because we have no idea what the roster will look like next August.
Just spitballing but the guys on D like Herbig should be able to adjust more so than a guy like Allen to your point. Guerendo leaving was a bit surprising to me. Melvin not so much.

Back