Jim Leonhard will NOT return

I think many were going to leave regardless. We'll weather this storm.

Well, sounds like JL has made it official; he's gone after the bowl game. This actually makes sense to me because I really didn't see how this was going to work with the coaches that have already been hired and what roles they would be wiling to accept. I suspect they lose a few more players to the portal in the coming days.

He's had a offer he can't refuse and has decided to take it IMO. That's the only reason I would think he would have decided to return then back out.

Well, sounds like JL has made it official; he's gone after the bowl game. This actually makes sense to me because I really didn't see how this was going to work with the coaches that have already been hired and what roles they would be wiling to accept. I suspect they lose a few more players to the portal in the coming days.
If kids leave they leave. I think Coach Fickell wants kids there because of the program and school not because a coach decided to stay or go.

So odds Leonhard ends up at UW-Whitewater? HC has retired and less than a hour drive from Madison.

This may be the best thing that can happen, for a lot of reasons. Jim needs to develop aspects of his coaching that can only be learned at a lower level, where the heat isn't going to be on, while learning.

As far as his defense, the question has always been if it was Aranda's, or his. Reality is, it wasn't Aranda's either. It's an evolution of a defense, taught by many, and employed by many. How well it works is dictated by both, the scheming and the talent of the players you have, to make it work. Jim was still a neophyte in developing it, but was doing a good job. He'll develop even more, as he continues his coaching pursuit, elsewhere.

In 5, maybe 6 years, he could well be ready to take over a Power 5 program, and when the time comes, it just might be Wisconsin that comes calling. Until then, he needs to work on developing his skills as being the whole package of head coach. I have every confidence he can do it, but he just plain wasn't ready yet.

It's Fickell & Company. Embrace it! Get on board! And don't get stuck in the old BS about it will be "business as usual." That's not going to happen with this guy running the show, and quite frankly, that's exactly why McIntosh chose him. He wanted someone who would shake the program to the fibers, and either make it something special, or burn it to the ground, so it could rise again, like the Phoenix, from the ashes, stronger than ever. (Enough poetic license - ;) )

This may be the best thing that can happen, for a lot of reasons. Jim needs to develop aspects of his coaching that can only be learned at a lower level, where the heat isn't going to be on, while learning.

As far as his defense, the question has always been if it was Aranda's, or his. Reality is, it wasn't Aranda's either. It's an evolution of a defense, taught by many, and employed by many. How well it works is dictated by both, the scheming and the talent of the players you have, to make it work. Jim was still a neophyte in developing it, but was doing a good job. He'll develop even more, as he continues his coaching pursuit, elsewhere.

In 5, maybe 6 years, he could well be ready to take over a Power 5 program, and when the time comes, it just might be Wisconsin that comes calling. Until then, he needs to work on developing his skills as being the whole package of head coach. I have every confidence he can do it, but he just plain wasn't ready yet.

It's Fickell & Company. Embrace it! Get on board! And don't get stuck in the old BS about it will be "business as usual." That's not going to happen with this guy running the show, and quite frankly, that's exactly why McIntosh chose him. He wanted someone who would shake the program to the fibers, and either make it something special, or burn it to the ground, so it could rise again, like the Phoenix, from the ashes, stronger than ever. (Enough poetic license - ;) )
Yep as I said before we needed to move on a coach that was either not connected to BA either thru his staff, being a player, or being hired by him. This is the first coach at UW not to have a direct connection to BA since the 80's!

Back