Jim Polzin: Brutal season leaves Wisconsin with a decision to make on future of men's hockey program

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Badgers men's hockey coach Tony Granato has a plan to avoid another season like this one. But will he get a chance to implement that plan? And should he?

Continue reading...

Can't get to the article. Why would anybody believe in his plan? Does he have a bunch of hot young recruits coming in? His guys completely quit at MN last week. I really wish this would have worked, but it just doesn't seem he can get it done. Bucky Hockey is dead. It's worse than what happened to Nebraska Football.

Having the best players in hockey doesn't necessarily evolve into a great team. You need role players who can fit into facets of the game, meshing their play together, not in opposition to each other.

I wonder how much of that came into play this year?

It’s not the old WCHA anymore. It is what it is

Bucky doesn't have the best players. I don't think we lost any to the Olympics.

Agreed, it's not the old WCHA. Somebody please tell MN, MN Duluth, North Dakota, Denver, Colorado College who all didn't get the message and are competitive, if not every year, almost every year.

Admittedly I have a small sample size of watching them this year, but they were bad and had little hustle and heart.

Now watch them win the B1G Tourney get a bid to Nationals and win it all.

It took a generational talent in Caufield to get things done last year, and even when he went Super-Cole it wasn't enough to 1. beat Minny in the B1G title or 2. get out of the NCAA first round

Defense - especially transition D - has been a weak link on this team since Granato took over. And the talent in goal doesn't live up to the guys Eaves was able to bring in even at the end.

I'll defer because I know you get to see them more.

But, when I've seen them the last few years, their effort has been lacking. Seems like Bucky is always out hustled and the other team wants it more.

We have so many getting to the show, I wonder if they're not using their WI time as a rest stop before they have to put out?

I don't know. I wish I had answers. It's sad - really really sad how far our once nationally prominent program has fallen.

It took a generational talent in Caufield to get things done last year, and even when he went Super-Cole it wasn't enough to 1. beat Minny in the B1G title or 2. get out of the NCAA first round

Defense - especially transition D - has been a weak link on this team since Granato took over. And the talent in goal doesn't live up to the guys Eaves was able to bring in even at the end.
This

Back