Joel Stave cleared to practice, will remain Badgers starter

BuckySaunders

Reaction score
491157590-150x150.jpg

Sorry to all those on the Bart Houston bandwagon, you won’t be seeing the backup quarterback any time soon. That’s because Wisconsin Badgers head coach Paul Chryst announced that starting QB Joel Stave is all set to return as the starting quarterback.

Most importantly, he’s been cleared to make his return to the practice field — a move that is quickly becoming a requirement for any player to even think about making a return on the field come Saturday.

“I feel good about Joel,” Chryst said. “He’s gone through all the concussion protocol and he’ll be able to practice this week.”

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, Chryst made it clear who the starter would be heading forward.

“Joel’s our starting quarterback,” Chryst said. “I think he’s been doing some really good things for this team. I’m proud and appreciative of how Bart stepped in and what he did and how he contributed in a big way to getting a good win for us.

“You feel good that Bart was able to come in and execute and do good things, and I feel good, as does our team, with where Joel is and what he means to this team.”

Through eight games, Stave is at or near the top of the Big Ten passing marks this season, ranking fourth in both completion percentage (61.7) and passing yards (1,757). He also ranks in the top five in the Big Ten in passing yards per game (219.6), all of that despite getting knocked out early on in last Saturday’s contest at Illinois.

Should all things go well this week in practice, expect Stave to return behind center as UW hosts Rutgers on Halloween weekend.

The post Joel Stave cleared to practice, will remain Badgers starter appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

What is Chryst seeing in Stave that makes him think he is better than Houston? sh))

I think fans get a little fooled by Houston being a bit more mobile and having a more compact and quicker release into see him differently than Stave who is not a "quick-twitch" athlete in any sense. For the coach though, that stuff is secondary to making good decisions, not just in regards to your throws, but making proper adjustments at the LOS. I suspect Stave just has a more complete grasp of the offense and what he sees on the other side of the LOS than Houston. Here's hoping Stave plays well in the remaining games, but at least now we know that the back-up has enough ability to win you a game in the event that another injury occurs at some point.

Back