LA FLEUR ON RODGERS

I met Billy Gibbons one day while he was hawking his BBQ sauce at a Fiesta down here in Texas. That was years ago. He's every bit the person he acted like in Bones, and a person would expect. One thing though. He's smarter than hell. He knows what breeds success, and plays it well. His sauces are really good. I don't use them, but that's because I have a special sauce made by a friend of my son up in Austin. The guy sells it to several brands under their label, and makes a ton of money. We get it straight out of his home kitchen!

EDIT: That's a Fiesta Market, not an event. Sorry!

the thing i hate about commercial bbq sauces is that most of them use high fructose corn syrup. several years ago i was in a walmart, in the garden shop. and they had some weber branded bbq sauce. it was on clearance for a buck. i bought a bottle on a lark, and wished i had bought them all. no corn syrup. real molasses and brown sugar and had a nice kick to it as well.

No corn syrup in the sauce we use. That's one of the reasons we use it. I wonder if the sauce you bought was bottled by the guy my son knows, and the Weber brand placed on it. It's his specialty. Could be.

EDIT: He never tells anyone who he co-packs for under their name. He's totally closed mouth. I'd guess he bottles it, and ships the bottles without labels to his customer, who actually does the labeling. Just guessing here, not certain.

No corn syrup in the sauce we use. That's one of the reasons we use it. I wonder if the sauce you bought was bottled by the guy my son knows, and the Weber brand placed on it. It's his specialty. Could be.

EDIT: He never tells anyone who he co-packs for under their name. He's totally closed mouth. I'd guess he bottles it, and ships the bottles without labels to his customer, who actually does the labeling. Just guessing here, not certain.
so no way to find out what his stuff is to buy then if he won't say who's label he bottles for

lol, i found it on walmart.com: https://www.walmart.com/ip/2PK-Weber-18-OZ-Kick-N-Spicy-BBQ-Sauce

only $82.68 for two bottles.

lol, i found it on walmart.com: https://www.walmart.com/ip/2PK-Weber-18-OZ-Kick-N-Spicy-BBQ-Sauce

only $82.68 for two bottles.

Damn! That's expensive! I think you can duplicate it. Here's a copycat recipe for Weber's. You can tweak the recipe to get it perfect. Make your own, in larger quantities. That's kind of the game down here in Texas. These good ol' boys guard their secret sauce with a gun. Seriously. LOL

so no way to find out what his stuff is to buy then if he won't say who's label he bottles for
Exactly! That way he can sell to several BBQ sauce companies and they can claim it as their own, and he makes money off the top. He's got the perfect business plan, especially as a small batch operator who doesn't need to fight for shelf space in stores for himself.

The funny part is so many people have tried to do a copycat and none of it comes out even close. He's got something in there in combination that nobody imagines.

Damn! That's expensive! I think you can duplicate it. Here's a copycat recipe for Weber's. You can tweak the recipe to get it perfect. Make your own, in larger quantities. That's kind of the game down here in Texas. These good ol' boys guard their secret sauce with a gun. Seriously. LOL

it's not the same. that recipe uses ketchup. and there's no molasses or peppers. that recipe is from a weber grill recipe book.

it's not the same. that recipe uses ketchup. and there's no molasses or peppers. that recipe is from a weber grill recipe book.
Then it isn't the same. It's just what I found out here. Hard to get any handles on the darned stuff.

These guys in Texas make pretty good bucks over the course of a year in competition, if they're good. But, like I try to explain to people who come down here and think the sauce does it, the prep, meat, and cooking all play a part in the whole thing. The process is intense.

These guys in Texas make pretty good bucks over the course of a year in competition, if they're good. But, like I try to explain to people who come down here and think the sauce does it, the prep, meat, and cooking all play a part in the whole thing. The process is intense.
I think the prep is underappreciated. overnight marinating/seasoning, along with the corresponding rub and slow smoking/cooking are the most important; I find that the type of wood used (along with hardwood charcoal) has a minimal impact on the taste. But relative to sauce - that really depends on the individual's taste buds and what they like.

Reactions: TW
Back