Lakers want Brook Lopez?

TW

Reaction score
It appears that the Lakers have been putting out feelers about getting Lopez into a Laker uniform. Let's hope that they didn't play it straight enough with him after the 2017/18 season for him to show real interest. I'd like to see the Bucks stay in the hunt with him for a new contract. He may not be the best guy at the post but he does some things that make him a good player in our system. It's going to be difficult keeping him. His stats may not look all that much great than the past, but his effectiveness was obvious.

Right now rumors are everyone wants everyone. Seen a stupid rumor from some no name website that wrote how Middleton does not want to be in MKE anymore. People will put out crap right now just for clicks.

I trust 2 maybe 3 people online with NBA info and neither has posted anything on Lopez, or Middleton or Brogdon. Other than those 2 I take any info with a major grain of salt and skepticism....and how is Lopez a fit with Davis in the roster? Windhorst did mention that the Lakers were “sniffing” around on Lopez so that report may have some credibility

Last edited:
I trust 2 maybe 3 people online with NBA info and neither has posted anything on Lopez, or Middleton or Brogdon. Other than those 2 I take any info with a major grain of salt and skepticism....and how is Lopez a fit with Davis in the roster? Windhorst did mention that the Lakers were “sniffing” around on Lopez so that report may have some credibility
Yeah I read that Lakers could do something like use a exemption but could only pay him $3.5 using it. I don't think Lopez takes another 1 year at a low exemption number.

Yeah I read that Lakers could do something like use a exemption but could only pay him $3.5 using it. I don't think Lopez takes another 1 year at a low exemption number.
They have the cap space to sign someone for more than the mid level exception. Because Pelinka is incompetent I think they have around $24m not $30m+

They have the cap space to sign someone for more than the mid level exception. Because Pelinka is incompetent I think they have around $24m not $30m+
Yeah but if they spend all that one one big name FA would only leave the exemption to use.

The real question is what is Lopez worth in comparison to any other options the Bucks have, or can get, off free agency? I'm not confident that the Bucks will make an offer that will be large enough for Lopez. The contract he signs is probably going to be his last one of any consequence because of his age. He's going to look for the best financial security, and since he's from the LA area, he may well lean in that direction for the right deal.

Whether or not we believe, or even consider comments made by anyone valid, the facts remain that there are some indicators out there that could make Lopez more receptive to an offer from either the Clippers or Lakers ahead of anyone else, if the money is about the same.

I do agree that the $3.5 mill won't cut it. He's due a payday because of this past season.

My guess his value / ceiling puts his payday at $10m to $12m per year tops. If you believe that the Clips are focusing on Kawhi that may take them out of the running. As to the Lakers their target is one max guy and that makes the Lakers a long shot, Lopez is not a max guy and with Davis on board not sure on the fit to begin with

If you don’t re up Lopez going outside and landing a FA will get you the mid level exception assuming you resign Middleton.

This is a strong FA class and there is also cap room out there for teams to overspend. System wise Milwaukee makes the most sense for Lopez and my sense is they want to keep him since the alternative is not ideal

I read that with moves Bucks could use the expemption on Lopez that would pay him around $10 million this year. Question is would he play on a 1 year deal or is he going to demand a multi-year deal and refuse to sign a one year offer.

I read that with moves Bucks could use the exemption on Lopez that would pay him around $10 million this year. Question is would he play on a 1 year deal or is he going to demand a multi-year deal and refuse to sign a one year offer.

After going through the Bucks cap situation I can say that I haven't got a clue as to how they'll jump on anything. The money being moved around is staggering, and I have to laugh when I think about issues like "the Bird exemption," etc., all from the past, where favored teams were given exemptions to keep stars on their teams. At the same time, the league seemed to be pushing the movement of better players to teams in larger markets for bigger TV audiences.

All the dead cap is staggering. Guys paid millions, who don't have any business being in the NBA, and in many cases, no longer are.

Back