Last second shots by Trice

Disagree with you completely. You haven't stated anything that proves what I said wrong. I stated Trice needs to release the ball to others, and you went on about others not being point guards. None of that makes sense. He has to give up the ball so others can take those shots, instead of getting doubled and losing the ball.

Yes. We do need to agree to disagree. Moving along.....

Disagree with you completely. You haven't stated anything that proves what I said wrong. I stated Trice needs to release the ball to others, and you went on about others not being point guards. None of that makes sense. He has to give up the ball so others can take those shots, instead of getting doubled and losing the ball.

Yes. We do need to agree to disagree. Moving along.....

Hard for a guy who is not a pure PG to ask him to play one. I said it twice. He’s not a playmaker. Never has been. Yes moving along

Part of this is the offense and the philosophy, but unfortunately, they don't have a guy who can execute. Think back over the years. How many times in late game one possession situations did Bo Ryan teams simply have the point guard handle the ball and take the last shot. They rarely ran much offense in those situations. Instead, Devin Harris, Jordan Taylor, Trevon Hughes, Traevon Jackson. etc., would simply try to create and put up a shot. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it failed.

It has infuriated me at times over the years but that's the way Bo wanted it. Maybe that's the way Gard prefers to play it as well. Trice is not the guy for this, but unfortunately I'm not sure anyone is, other than maybe King. I would have preferred the ball to be in King's hands in that situation.

I also wouldn't have given it to Davison, other than if the play had created something wide open for him. He hasn't been himself for the past season and a half. He's not a point, he's not really a pure #2 either. If he was a little taller, he'd be a nice wing. I think he's just a hard working kid with limited upside. Nice player, but no special offensive talent.

Part of this is the offense and the philosophy, but unfortunately, they don't have a guy who can execute. Think back over the years. How many times in late game one possession situations did Bo Ryan teams simply have the point guard handle the ball and take the last shot. They rarely ran much offense in those situations. Instead, Devin Harris, Jordan Taylor, Trevon Hughes, Traevon Jackson. etc., would simply try to create and put up a shot. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it failed.

It has infuriated me at times over the years but that's the way Bo wanted it. Maybe that's the way Gard prefers to play it as well. Trice is not the guy for this, but unfortunately I'm not sure anyone is, other than maybe King. I would have preferred the ball to be in King's hands in that situation.

I also wouldn't have given it to Davison, other than if the play had created something wide open for him. He hasn't been himself for the past season and a half. He's not a point, he's not really a pure #2 either. If he was a little taller, he'd be a nice wing. I think he's just a hard working kid with limited upside. Nice player, but no special offensive talent.
Great post. Like you my preference might have been King in that situation but while he’s great in creating his shot he’s not the best ball handler in space. I have issues with Trices decision making but he’s not a point. 100% agree on Davison. Once Wahl gets in the weight room he’s going to take minutes away from him, maybe sooner

The biggest issue with that play was spacing. Pritzl and King both flowed to the same side as Trice. No passing lanes and clogged the paint area. While Trice took the shot overall execution was less than poor

Less Trice, more Potter. Worked pretty good if you ask me. Davison was great on the boards against Penn State, but needs to work on his shot. If he gets back in rhythm with it, the Badgers could be effective down the road. Still wondering if Gard will use Davison or someone else to drive the lane from outside, to create more easy shots for our bigs.

I liked the changes today. Kind of what I'd hoped to have seen for some time now. I think we might end up getting point guard by committee, by rotating the three guards out front, to create mismatches. Just looks like that might be where it's heading.

Some things that stood out today:
  • Potter took minutes from Reuvers today, He’s much more comfortable in the offensive flow. Would love to see both on the floor at the same time.
  • Love what Anderson brought. Maybe he’s getting healthy. Would help the rotation
  • The flop thing is in Davison’s head. Nice day on the boards but he’s a liability on offense. I get the defense part but it’s like a 180 him getting a call compared to last year
  • King needs to be less selfish and attack more. He’s really the only guy who can create his own shot
  • Wahl is going to be a stud
  • Ford is also struggling especially on defense. His shot is MIA. So streaky

Well, after today's game it was clear that Trice was in the doghouse a bit. Big drop in minutes for him. Gard was not pleased with the end of that Illinois game and he said as much.

Davison had a double-double but needed a high volume of possessions to do it. His best offense is getting fouled and making free throws. He's a tough willing rebounder. If he was 6'6", he'd be a heck of a nice wing player. As it is, his inside work is limited because he's not particularly quick or explosive but he's willing to get physical and that's worth something at times.

Potter was the difference today. We'll see if this continues. He brings a little more toughness inside than Reuvers, not because of anything Reuvers is doing wrong but Potter is just a stronger, bigger dude. He can help against certain teams.

King needs to get a few more opportunities. As has been said, he's really the only guy who can consistently get his own shot. Today, he should have gotten a few more opportunities. Agree that he needs to be just a little more selfish.

Back