McCarthy: We have to make sure we keep it fresh and creative after bye

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - The following is a summary of Packers coach Mike McCarthy's Monday press conference:

- (On career victory No. 100) It's a reflection of our program. I'm focused on the next one. It's a mark I was just made aware of. Speaks hugely about our players and coaches. Takes good program that is consisten to win each and every week. It's something Ted and I are proud of.
- (On secret formula) The organization lets you be creative and we have excellent players. I have the best coaching staff in the NFL. Our support staff is incredible, the job they do to get our players ready each and every week. It's an excellent operation. Having same quarterback 8 of same 10 years is invaluable.
- (On bye) Coaches will do a self-scout and then the players will return on Monday.
- (On offensive lulls) Last two weeks we've had two defenses that just challenged us at the line of scrimmage. Offensively, 49 plays and scoring 27 points you don't feel too bad for that. Third down on both sides of the ball doesn't get it done. We have to make sure we keep it fresh and creative when we get back.
- (On 6-0 after bye) Really sticking to the basics. Handling success we talk about all the time. It's part of every message. Really reflecting on the past, I don't know if it helps you or not. The message has been the same. 6-0 is a certain level of success. Focus is for our players to step away.
- (On Ty Montgomery) He has an ankle sprain. Talked to him last night. He's feeling a little better than when took him off the field.
- (On rookies on bye) I don't know if these guys ever step away from football. That's part of the personal time. Every time there's something like this, there's instruction to the young players. We spend a lot of time talking to the younger players.
- (On Lacy) He's like whole football team. He's beat up. I don't see conditioning as an issue. James Starks is an outstanding running back. I don't want to run one guy 20 or 25 times. Running back position is extremely punishing. They take a lot of hits. Eddie has a bruising running style. I'm not concerned there. I like one-two punch.
- (On decision Sunday) Really always been the mindset. Something the way things worked out. With James on the first series is the product of how he was playing. He was playing well in San Francisco.
- (On evaluating changes in bye) We're loaded to play a doubleheader if we have to, i mean getting in an out of schemes. What is the next twist in term is something we're in tune with. How are people attacking you, you stay on top of that. Then building on fundamental tapes. San Diego did a great job of their style of release against our corners. We'll work on that. We're going to spend more time on fundamentals next week.
- (On Janis on offense) We won't play just 11 guys. Jeff's doing a lot of good things. You look at way he played pre-season, the way he started, it's not even close now. He's playing with physicality. He's a powerful athlete, but a lot of things are new for him. He's made a lot of progress as a receiver. We'll see what the future brings.
- (On Jones' catches) We don't go by that (volume). We don't feature a guy. That's not how we're built. In the passing game, it's one of his strengths, spreading the footblal around. We have awareness who we're targeting, but I don't go into a game that a guy needs a certain number of targets.
- (On penalties) I'm aware of it. We're also aware that the officiating crew and who has been officiating. the numbers have been up. The ones that are unacceptable are the pre-snap and the bad decision in combative situations.
- (On Clinton-Dix penalty) He was competing. I don't fault Ha Ha there.

Continue reading...

Back