Modernizing Aaron Rodgers

oakleaf

Reaction score
Everyone thought that watching this GB offense conform and gel would be the story of the season. Then, the HUGE surprise of the defense's outstanding performance these first few games has overshadowed that by a wide margin! However, watching the offense struggle with the new scheme has been interesting and I believe will become even more of an interesting story in the next few games. Rodgers is no longer expected to do the heavy lifting (which one could argue was to blame for his drop-off in recent performance and certainly last year's team performance) and from his body language and other little signs, I'm reading a little frustration from Rodgers trying to conform to the new system, which limits his improvisational style. It's understandable, and actually fun to watch. That is part of gelling. This stat is telling:

Shotgun/Pistol Through Week 3

Top 5
BAL 96%
ARI 96%
PIT 88%
PHI 85%
SEA 84%

Bottom 5
MIN 20%
SF 35%
LAR 38%
TB 45%
GB 49%

Top 5 shotgun/pistol teams combined record: 5-9-1
Bottom 5 shotgun/pistol teams combined record: 12-3

Most interesting: The McVay, Shanahan, LaFleur offenses are all bottom five here with a combined record here of 9-0! Obviously, their style is about making everything look the same, starting with under center. Also pre-snap motion, running the ball, play action and misdirection also important in their schemes.

This may turn out to be a great year once Rodgers finds that balance of this LaFleur offense and his 14 year experience reading defenses and relative autonomy at the line. All good, as long as there is improvement week to week, and knowing it will still take time. So far, that is what we're seeing.

Last edited:
This is what I always said was wrong with McCarthy's offense. The specific players and formations in his offense drastically reduced the options the QB had in the huddle. The offense the Packers run now has a multitude of options off a specific formation, and the personnel on the field doesn't matter. They may shuffle Vitale, a 2nd TE, or a WR off and on the field on plays, but the number of plays they can use, and the options are much less predictable.

They just need to keep showing looks that aren't predictable. Even if the don't gain yardage on some of the runs between the tackles, they need to continue blasting at those holes. Eventually they'll open up as Rodgers becomes more versed in the offense, and the runs will be more productive as soon as Rodgers starts to make those connections.

This offense relies on the run and pass blending together in a look that's not easily countered on defense.

I agree on the shotgun. It's a viable option at times, but it should never be as high a percentage of the offense as we see with a lot of teams.

Most interesting: The McVay, Shanahan, LaFleur offenses are all bottom five here with a combined record here of 9-0!
And LA & SF are #2 and #3 in defensive yards allowed and we know the impact of how an improved defense has helped in GB. Jimmy G has been less than impressive at QB for that offense in the the first 3 weeks. Do we honestly think this team is 3-0 without this defense the first 3 weeks. I am in no way trying to undermine being 3-0 but defense has carried SF and GB to this point. ML has changed the culture and Gute has upgraded the D. That to me more of a reflection of 3-0 than the offense at this point

really interesting stats, oak. also interesting is the fact that the first two touchdowns against denver came out of the shotgun.

Last edited:
It's been an interesting ride so far. I'm a little surprised by the defense, but not a lot. They spent money there and Pettine was given full control. You could see moments last season but the lack of pass rush hamstrung them. No longer the case.

The offense isn't humming, but that's not a surprise. New scheme with old dogs needing to learn new tricks. It seems like the biggest issue is making adjustments as the game moves on. The scripted stuff that they are more prepared to run seem to work better. Once they are more fluent with the offense and who can do what, both coaches and players will do a better job of adjusting on the fly.

Defenses are likely making adjustments as the game moves along and the coaches and players on offense aren't countering appropriately. Teams are working hard to take away Adams and there is nothing else working consistently enough. especially the tight ends who are producing almost nothing at this point. JWilliams and Vitale might need to get more touches for now to make up for it.

Time to give Tonyan more snaps and hopefully get Sternberger involved when he comes back because Graham looks done. He's giving them nothing. Depending on what the young guys show will probably influence how much of a need the position is next spring.

And LA & SF are #2 and #3 in defensive yards allowed and we know the impact of how an improved defense has helped in GB. Jimmy G has been less than impressive at QB for that offense in the the first 3 weeks. Do we honestly think this team is 3-0 without this defense the first 3 weeks. I am in no way trying to undermine being 3-0 but defense has carried SF and GB to this point. ML has changed the culture and Gute has upgraded the D. That to me more of a reflection of 3-0 than the offense at this point
You miss my point Packinatl. I'm talking about the journey towards a "modern" offense. (BTW, LA has a great offense and SF's is currently #4 believe it or not. I watched SF and their offense clicks with the misalignments, play actions and even a few trick plays!) Saying the Packers D is more of a reflection of 3-0 than offense is obvious.

I am finding it very interesting and reassuring that Shanahan, McVay and LaFleur's (who were nicknamed "The Fun Bunch", now called "The Young Innovators") teams are 9-0. My point is this... It is and will be interesting and fun to see if and how Rodgers "modernizes", going from a 14 year experience in the McCarthy offense reading defenses and relative autonomy at the line, to the style of offense LaFleur brings. What will this meshing look like and how long will it take?

Rodgers is no longer expected to do the heavy lifting (which one could argue was to blame for his drop-off in recent performance and certainly last year's team performance) and from his body language and other little signs, I'm reading a little frustration from Rodgers trying to conform to the new system, which limits his improvisational style. It's understandable, and actually fun to watch. That is part of gelling. This stat is telling.

I'm not sure why, but I'm reading this as if Tupac was spitting a rhyme....maybe it's the "That is part of gelling. This stat is telling".

Anyways, the stats are interesting. McVay's offense is fun to watch. Shanahan's was clicking and his run game was on point which made his misdirection and deeps shots that much more prevalent. Hoping Rodgers finds his balance in this offense because it could become fun to watch as well.

"Modernizing" Rodgers by having him take snaps from under center and hand the ball off 50%+ of the time. What a world!

You miss my point Packinatl. I'm talking about the journey towards a "modern" offense. (BTW, LA has a great offense and SF's is currently #4 believe it or not. I watched SF and their offense clicks with the misalignments, play actions and even a few trick plays!) Saying the Packers D is more of a reflection of 3-0 than offense is obvious.

I am finding it very interesting and reassuring that Shanahan, McVay and LaFleur's (who were nicknamed "The Fun Bunch", now called "The Young Innovators") teams are 9-0. My point is this... It is and will be interesting and fun to see if and how Rodgers "modernizes", going from a 14 year experience in the McCarthy offense reading defenses and relative autonomy at the line, to the style of offense LaFleur brings. What will this meshing look like and how long will it take?

I get that but not sure how "modern" it is. It more going back to a more balanced system, the formations, motion, misdirection and things like that are new. Shanahan was running this system in Atlanta a few years ago. GB offense is ranked 28th, Rams is only 16th. But what is carrying SF is their ability to run the ball, same with LA. My point is what would the narrative be if SF and GB defense was not able to step up? SF opponents have a combined 1-7 record. LA 4-5. Love being 3-0 but the change in culture to me is more impressive than the change in the offensive system

I get that but not sure how "modern" it is. It more going back to a more balanced system, the formations, motion, misdirection and things like that are new. Shanahan was running this system in Atlanta a few years ago. GB offense is ranked 28th, Rams is only 16th. But what is carrying SF is their ability to run the ball, same with LA. My point is what would the narrative be if SF and GB defense was not able to step up? SF opponents have a combined 1-7 record. LA 4-5. Love being 3-0 but the change in culture to me is more impressive than the change in the offensive system
Change in culture is easy to gain and sustain when you're winning. But yeah, that system probably goes back to Kyle's dad. I don't believe there is any one thing new in it. But how you put it all together to manufacture advantage is the genius of this system, using RBs to create balance, keep defenses guessing by condensed formations (which LeFleur really hasn't went to like LA), QB under center, quick-snaps, and of course good fundamentals to create mismatches, misdirection, play action and checkdown opportunities and so on. Different from the predictable, slower-paced offense McCarthy ran which depended almost entirely on Rodgers ability to buy time and the WRs ability to get open. I'm seeing defenses confused early in games with the scripted plays allowing us to get an early lead. Then once defense figures that out and settles in, Rodgers ability to buy time and WRs ability to get open come into play, which seems to be a problem. Especially WRs ability to get open.

Last edited:
Back