Next Badgers Football Coach

Buffalo is Lance old club he still has stacked, Georgia Southern beat Nebraska this year and is full of talent in the passing game.... State beat us this yr. No gimmies for Bucky
Right now, even New Mexico State would be a challenge next year. Fortunately we don't have someone like Illinois State on the menu. If they beat us, they could roll up the carpet at Camp Randall.

I will 100% guarantee Leonard and Badgers won't lose next weekend.

Just an open question that needs to be part of this discussion. What are the realistic expectations of this program once we get to 2024. Here is what changes
  • USC and UCLA become members in 2024 and the expanded CFP starts no later than 2026, probably sooner
  • With that the B1G most likely will move away from division play and schedule will be more “pod” like. No more feeding off a weak West to get to Indy
  • To win the B1G you will have to finish 1-2 to get to the title game. Not an easy task to beat OSU , Michigan, USC and then factor in UCLA and PSU.
  • With the expanded playoffs more than likely NY6 bowls become part of the playoff format so if you don’t make the field of 12 your destination probably becomes Tampa or Jax as the top choice
All that said (disclaimer: not an endorsement of PC just based on wins and losses) this program went 67-26 since 2015, 3 NY6 games. I get the program has its issues and probably needed a new voice. But will Leipold or Leonhard deliver equal or better results? Sure the culture will be revamped and change but will it get you to the CFP? Personally I would not bet the ranch on it.

As to the culture discussion, that won’t change with the current AD. Culture starts at the top, it’s about resources, academic “flexibility”, facilities.

Covid cuts hit the department and in the summer of 2021 multiple staffers left including Khalif on June 1.and that date is important because it was the first day recruits were able to come to campus after recruiting bans due to COVID-19 were lifted. And even recently budget cuts related to COVID remained in effect last summer. Now who hold those purse strings is not clear that’s on the administration to figure out.

Both LL and JL have upsides but they both have significant question marks. In a perfect world give me Brian Hartline but the chances of him coming to Madison are slim and none. I would love a young HC who gets NIL, the portal and how to deal with kids in a new environment. If this team wins 2 more it’s going to be hard NOT to give the gig to JL

If you have a 12 team playoff, there would probably be a first round bye for 4 teams. That would leave 4 games on the schedule for round 2, with 8 teams. If you use NY6 games as part of the playoffs, you'd only be using 4 of them in either of those rounds. After that, it's 2, then 1. That means that at least two of the NY6 bowl games will not be inclusive in the playoff format.

If you have a 12 team playoff, there would probably be a first round bye for 4 teams. That would leave 4 games on the schedule for round 2, with 8 teams. If you use NY6 games as part of the playoffs, you'd only be using 4 of them in either of those rounds. After that, it's 2, then 1. That means that at least two of the NY6 bowl games will not be inclusive in the playoff format.
Working backwards just for assumption purposes

4 round 1 byes
Quarterfinals: Peach / Fiesta / Orange / Cotton
Semi : Sugar / Rose
Title: Bid / Rotation (It’s LA this year)

Now if they give #1 and 2 Seeds on campus that might move one game to the title game leaving one locked out each year, maybe 2 if they use a bid process.

Based on 2022 assumed seeding

BYES
  1. Alabama
  2. Michigan
  3. Cincinnati
  4. Baylor
Quarterfinal games

• No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 8 Ole Miss/No. 9 Oklahoma State
  • No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 7 Ohio State/No. 10 Michigan State
  • No. 3 Cincinnati vs. No. 6 Notre Dame/No. 11 Utah
  • No. 4 Baylor vs. No. 5 Georgia/No. 12 Pitt

Absolutely huge questions to be asked and answers to be found.

Now more than ever a Head Football Coach may be more general operations than on field 'General' - Recruiting Coaches and players to implement their vision, School and Portal, Coordinating NIL, Shmoozing boosters, managing players considering leaving, then managing and leading Football.

Who is a master of all of this? And different player attitudes - at least from my Era. Very complicated.

As stated before, I love the Leonhard story and would love it to continue - Only if he's the best candidate.

Like Leipold and his story.

And, then consider how the B1G is evolving. USC and UCLA are coming. What if more do. B1G will be tough to crack. On paper: Ohio State and Michigan are and probably will remain cream of the crop. Recent trebds inducate USC will probably be fighting to join the cream, maybe UCLA. Penn State, Michigan State most think are next tier. IL is coming on. WI is fighting hard to be with Penn State and Michigan State or above. It's going to take almost 'Wisconsin Perfection' for us to Crack the playoffs. Lots of pressure on a new coach.

Interesting times ahead

Working backwards just for assumption purposes

4 round 1 byes
Quarterfinals: Peach / Fiesta / Orange / Cotton
Semi : Sugar / Rose
Title: Bid / Rotation (It’s LA this year)

Now if they give #1 and 2 Seeds on campus that might move one game to the title game leaving one locked out each year, maybe 2 if they use a bid process.

Based on 2022 assumed seeding

BYES
  1. Alabama
  2. Michigan
  3. Cincinnati
  4. Baylor
Quarterfinal games

• No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 8 Ole Miss/No. 9 Oklahoma State
  • No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 7 Ohio State/No. 10 Michigan State
  • No. 3 Cincinnati vs. No. 6 Notre Dame/No. 11 Utah
  • No. 4 Baylor vs. No. 5 Georgia/No. 12 Pitt
The NY6 - Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl.

Since all these games are played on the same day, New Years Day, explain how you can do this?

It's pretty simple math. There's no way you can do what you suggest without having all 12 teams play in what would be the first round. That would be pretty stupid on their part, considering they'd have to put in a two team bye in the next round.

If they're smart, they have four games of round one, a week before the NY6 games. Then use 4 of the NY6 games for round 2. Then the following 2 weeks finish the playoffs.

If it's not going to add money to the pot, I doubt very much they'd be interested in doing it. In fact, it would be interesting to see which NY6 games would be targeted for the playoffs. I think they'd use a rotational system, where NY6 game would be free from the playoff scenario once in 3 years.

The NY6 - Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl.

Since all these games are played on the same day, New Years Day, explain how you can do this?

It's pretty simple math. There's no way you can do what you suggest without having all 12 teams play in what would be the first round. That would be pretty stupid on their part, considering they'd have to put in a two team bye in the next round.

If they're smart, they have four games of round one, a week before the NY6 games. Then use 4 of the NY6 games for round 2. Then the following 2 weeks finish the playoffs.

If it's not going to add money to the pot, I doubt very much they'd be interested in doing it. In fact, it would be interesting to see which NY6 games would be targeted for the playoffs. I think they'd use a rotational system, where NY6 game would be free from the playoff scenario once in 3 years.
Well they are not played on the same day. Have not been for a few years. NY 6 was just a nice monicker given. Note what would be the field using 2021 which I pulled from SI.

If you don’t use the so called NY6, which are great based on location and stadium size you then need to find alternatives and honestly the Citrus and Gator venues are not ideal, Tampa would work for multiple reasons. Past that not sure

Leonhard extends offers to 11 from Matre Dei for 2024 and 2025 including a QB.

Most have other offers from higher profile schools. But, Holy Cow if we get a couple

This team is a mess. It needs the entire staff to be gone and rebuilt from the ground up. But I think Jim has enough support among alumni and players that if he beats Nebraska next week to get to a bowl game and even if they would lose to MN to finish the season a 4-3 record and a bowl game bid is enough for him to get the job.

Granted I don't think he's on the job more then 3-4 years as I don't think this team will win much and the alumni backing him now will then demand he be fired also.

Back