NIL era brings cautious optimism to college-town businesses

If Saban can use it as a recruiting tool, by telling kids that there are people out there willing to pay big bucks for your name on products if you go to Alabama, he's gonna jump on it like a lion on a crippled zebra.
Fact is so far NIL has been a bit of a letdown. Spoke to folks at Wasserman and it’s so far a non story

• As of Thursday, there were 1,361 NIL transactions reported by athletes at INFLCR schools.
  • Roughly 1 percent of all athletes in INFLCR’s community reported engagement in NIL deals.
  • Transactions totaled $1.256 million.
  • The average transaction value: $923, with individual transactions ranging from $0 in cash value to the low six figures.
  • 802 athletes reported transactions themselves through INFLCR, from 64 Division I schools.
  • 53 percent of all transactions were reported by athletes playing sports outside of football or men’s and women’s basketball.
  • 34 percent were football players.
  • 13 percent were women’s or men’s basketball players.
  • 10 percent of transactions were by athletes in lacrosse or swimming and diving. Those were the most common sports initially reporting summer camps and lessons transactions.
  • 20 percent were female athletes
  • 12 percent of transactions were from non-Power 5 schools.

• As of Thursday, there were 1,361 NIL transactions reported by athletes at INFLCR schools.
  • Roughly 1 percent of all athletes in INFLCR’s community reported engagement in NIL deals.
  • Transactions totaled $1.256 million.
  • The average transaction value: $923, with individual transactions ranging from $0 in cash value to the low six figures.
  • 802 athletes reported transactions themselves through INFLCR, from 64 Division I schools.
  • 53 percent of all transactions were reported by athletes playing sports outside of football or men’s and women’s basketball.
  • 34 percent were football players.
  • 13 percent were women’s or men’s basketball players.
  • 10 percent of transactions were by athletes in lacrosse or swimming and diving. Those were the most common sports initially reporting summer camps and lessons transactions.
  • 20 percent were female athletes
  • 12 percent of transactions were from non-Power 5 schools.
So $0 in cash value? aka they get free meals or something like that?

Not sure what that means since 99% of things have “cash value”.
I see his point. Some will be handed checks, others might end up getting merchandise, or food, instead of cash.

I see his point. Some will be handed checks, others might end up getting merchandise, or food, instead of cash.
But all those have cash value. As an an example if you give the kid 15 free meals you have to account for that’s somewhere, that has value. Guess it’s how it’s worded in the agreement

I think Pack was saying that he didn't know what the $0 cash value item would be, since most items have "cash value". Even if the kids get food, there is a cash value to that item. Just my take. I certainly don't want to speak for Pack butnit would be interesting to see what things are considered $0 cash value.

But all those have cash value. As an an example if you give the kid 15 free meals you have to account for that’s somewhere, that has value. Guess it’s how it’s worded in the agreement
Oops, sorry Pack. Just spoke on this and must have posted at same time!

Would definitely be interesting what kinds of things are a $0 cash value

It’s also a tax question. This from a friend who works for Legends who handles U of Miami rights.
“ goods, clothing and shoes, and the income listed on a 1099 will ultimately need to be picked up as income.”

What comes into play is anything less than $600 does not need to get reported on a 1099. Also an example they get a car to drive that’s also by law “income” based on vehicle value

Back