offensive linemen - a draft priority or no?

realitybytes

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
it all starts in the trenches, right?

will there be an ot worthy of the #12 pick still on the board?

here's some tidbits of data that i came across today on the twitterverse from mike renner of pff:

The amount of true pass sets taken in their careers by the OT class:

Andre Dillard: 966
Jonah Williams: 459
Dalton Risner: 418
Jawaan Taylor: 404
Cody Ford: 99

Pass blocking grade on those snaps:

Andre Dillard: 87.8
Jonah Williams: 80.0
Dalton Risner: 91.6
Jawaan Taylor: 64.4
Cody Ford: 75.0

True pass sets in our data defined as passes with 4+ pass-rushers, straight QB drop to 7+ yards, no play action, no screens, and took over 2 seconds for QB to throw

Yes, and yes. If ML wants AR to stand in the pocket and face down the rush, they need to make sure our 36 year old QB with more screws in his shoulder than seasons played is not getting clobbered and harried every other drop back. Aaron has developed the terrible habit of bailing the pocket early, but you can argue he developed that habit for a good reason.

For my money, picking Jonah Williams at 12 wouldn't have me dancing in the living room, but it would have me sitting back easy in my chair, content that our OL and our team just got better for a long time to come.

it all starts in the trenches, right?

will there be an ot worthy of the #12 pick still on the board?

here's some tidbits of data that i came across today on the twitterverse from mike renner of pff:
A bit Misleading......how many D1 QB's take straight 7 yard drops? And I dont know if Leach knows what a scree pass is or even runs play action. And lets be honest the Pac 12 was awful top to bottom, Ford , Taylor and Williams played vs much better competition

I would not be shocked if OL is the top pick at 12 If guys like Oliver Bush are gone at 12 I don't think Burns is worthy to take at 12 plus you signed two OLB in FA so OL could be higher on Gute's board If you wait to 30 all of these OL will be long gone.

At 12 outside of MAYBE Taylor I think every other OL is on the board.

I would not be shocked or complain if Dillard was the pick at 12. He is among the top OL in the draft and to be honest I think by 12 all the top defensive players will be gone and I am not going to reach to get the best of the 2nd tier D players I rather go BPA and take a OL as that is likely the best spot on board that has not been picked over.

Trade down to the top of Round 2 and pick up a third or fourth.

Sure, if you can find a partner. But AZ, NYJ, NYG, maybe SF I think will all be looking for OL help after going defense (or QB) in round 1. Maybe they're trading up for one of the players you're trading down for.

Sure, if you can find a partner. But AZ, NYJ, NYG, maybe SF I think will all be looking for OL help after going defense (or QB) in round 1. Maybe they're trading up for one of the players you're trading down for.
You go down 4 spots means there are 4 guys on your board that you will be happy with still.

Back