Official : Packers retain Pettine as defensive coordinator

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
https://www.packers.com/news/packer...CT-Press Release-GB_sf205833417&sf205833417=1

The Green Bay Packers have retained Mike Pettine as defensive coordinator. Head Coach Matt LaFleur made the announcement Friday.
Pettine (PETT-in) served in the same position for the Packers last season, leading a defense that ranked No. 7 in the NFL in sacks per pass attempt (8.35 percent), with 16 different players recording at least a half-sack. It was the second most in team history (since 1982), trailing only the 1987 campaign (strike season) that featured 17 different players for Green Bay posting at least a half-sack. He helped lead the Packers to a No. 12 ranking in pass defense (234.5 yards per game) after the defense ranked No. 23 in the category in 2017. Green Bay was tied for No. 8 in the NFL with 44 sacks in 2018, the most by the Packers since 2013 (44). Last season, he also guided the Green Bay defense to a No. 9 ranking in three-and-out percentage (21.9) after the Packers ranked No. 26 in the category in 2017.

Pettine came to Green Bay after working as a consultant for the Seattle Seahawks in 2017. He previously worked as a defensive coordinator for the New York Jets (2009-12) and Buffalo Bills (2013) as well as two years as head coach for the Cleveland Browns (2014-15).

In his first season in Cleveland, Pettine guided the Browns to their most victories since 2007 as they led the league in opponent passer rating (74.1) and ranked No. 2 in interceptions (21). As a defensive coordinator with the Jets and Bills, he led his units to a top-10 finish in total yards allowed and passing yards allowed each season. In 2013, he helped the Bills rank No. 2 in the NFL with a franchise-record 57 sacks as Buffalo was the lone team in the league to have three players each register 10-plus sacks. During his four seasons with the Jets, the defense ranked No. 1 in the NFL over that span in opponent passer rating (71.0), completion percentage (52.6) and passing yards allowed per game (186.3).

Prior to being a defensive coordinator, Pettine spent seven seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, serving as a coaching and video assistant (2002), coaching assistant/quality control coach (2003), defensive assistant (2004) and outside linebackers coach (2005-08). He began his coaching career as an assistant (1988-92) for his father, Mike Sr., who was the head coach at Central Bucks West High School in his hometown of Doylestown, Pa. Pettine had a two-year stint in the college ranks as a defensive graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh (1993-94) before serving as the head coach at William Tennent High School (Warminster, Pa.) from 1995-96 and then at North Penn High School (Lansdale, Pa.) from 1997-2001.

Will be interesting to see how ML changes up the def. And what players he needs to run that defense.

Wow, #7 in sacks per pass attempt!

I kid, I kid. MM stuck his nose in the D all the time, and I’m interested to see what Pettine does with more of a free reign, because ML isn’t going to tell Pettine what to do. Personally I’ll be disappointed if Joe Whitt isn’t shown the door but you can’t have everything.

Overall I think everyone on the board is realistic about the talent level on D not being where it needs to be, so a lot of success or failure is going to come down to Gute.

I want to see if Pettine retains everyone or if he makes changes. If he keeps everyone or close to it I think that will shoot down that MM was involved in how the D was run.

Wow, #7 in sacks per pass attempt!

I kid, I kid. MM stuck his nose in the D all the time, and I’m interested to see what Pettine does with more of a free reign, because ML isn’t going to tell Pettine what to do. Personally I’ll be disappointed if Joe Whitt isn’t shown the door but you can’t have everything.

Overall I think everyone on the board is realistic about the talent level on D not being where it needs to be, so a lot of success or failure is going to come down to Gute.
Well ML is going to tell Pettine what he wants the Def to look like and overall scheme. He's HC after all. But I agree I doubt he tries to micro manage like MM.

Well ML is going to tell Pettine what he wants the Def to look like and overall scheme. He's HC after all. But I agree I doubt he tries to micro manage like MM.

Does ML have a preference of 3-4 to 4-3? I really don’t know. Is this something where he’d defer to Pettine, unlike MM who insisted on 3-4? I would hope so but we’ll see. ML has only spoken of the D in the vague generalities of press conferences so far - attacking, ball hawking, blah blah. I don’t know what his idea of overall scheme is, and if he doesn’t have one or a strong preference, you let Pettine sort that out don’t you? Isn’t that why you keep a guy like him? Let him suit scheme to personnel?

Does ML have a preference of 3-4 to 4-3? I really don’t know. Is this something where he’d defer to Pettine, unlike MM who insisted on 3-4? I would hope so but we’ll see. ML has only spoken of the D in the vague generalities of press conferences so far - attacking, ball hawking, blah blah. I don’t know what his idea of overall scheme is, and if he doesn’t have one or a strong preference, you let Pettine sort that out don’t you? Isn’t that why you keep a guy like him? Let him suit scheme to personnel?
He's run a 3-4 for most part

He will have a preference most HCs do. But how they run it might be up to Pettine. Maybe something like Mark said. 3-4 base with lots of 4-3 sprinkled in. But how that happens would be up to Pettine.

Stop stop stop........... MP has been and would expect him to run a multi front defense. One thing about all the spread looks in the NFL is you don't run very much base. You'll continue to see a lot of 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 looks more then anything.

The big difference is that our defense is going to see a lot more of what most other teams are doing not Big Mikes burger king offense everyday in practice.

Back