Packers 2020 Free Agents

Tons of good WRs in this draft, but if we're going for a ring for Aaron, can we wait two years for development?

That's why I think they'd consider Odell. He's a problem child, but so was Charles Woodson. I think it would be a low risk move, being that his contract is written to compensate for him being a head case. Easy outs. Just don't overpay.
You lost me at Woodson was a problem child. Beckham’s contract was based on production, it was not based on being a head case. You don’t give $40 at signing for a basket case. That’s said there are more holes to fill than giving up draft equity to get him plus $14m along with Adams hit in 2020 I’m not allocating $30m for 2 WR

Some things that need that need to be thought through.

We have 3 WRs signed to contracts next year. Adams, Scantling, and St. Brown. Adams $16.6 mill against the cap, and the other two combined, less than $1.5 mill.

At offensive tackle, just two guys are signed. Bakhtiari, and Alex Light. Bakh eats up $14.2 mill, Light $661K.

Our guards, Turner, Taylor, and Jenkins. Combined, about $15 mill.

Centers, Linsley, $10.5 mill.

Tight Ends, Graham $11.7 mill, Sternberger $933K.

There's a lot of changes that need to made, people signed, and only so much money to do it. Start filling in the gaps here to insure your offense keeps running, and look at the same thing from the defensive side of the ball. There's absolutely no huge paychecks that can be handed out to free agents who might make us one game better at best.

The last thing we need to do is put ourselves in a position where cap hell revisits us for several years because of dumb contracts. There's also guys in this mix that I wouldn't trust for the future. At the top of that list, Jimmy Graham. Cutting him after this year would free up $8 mill, and the dead cap hit would be roughly $3.7 mill.

Time for the Packers to start shopping for guys who are willing to stay one or two more years to get that ring. Take that page out of the Patriots book of success.

I don’t think “cap hell” will ever exist again and honestly I don’t think it ever existed in GB. Maybe cap purgatory. Only 5 teams currently have have less than $17m going into 2020, cap increases each year and with new TV deals coming soon it’s a non issue. Getting guys to come to GB is a two way street. The philosophy of this organization is conservative to a fault so taking a chance on malcontents like NE does I don’t see happing. I was pleasantly surprised with last years offseason with FA’s not so much the draft. One big hole is WR and it’s a great class to get impact and depth. This will be year 2 of a 2-3 year fix. Enjoy the ride

I don’t think “cap hell” will ever exist again and honestly I don’t think it ever existed in GB. Maybe cap purgatory. Only 5 teams currently have have less than $17m going into 2020, cap increases each year and with new TV deals coming soon it’s a non issue. Getting guys to come to GB is a two way street. The philosophy of this organization is conservative to a fault so taking a chance on malcontents like NE does I don’t see happing. I was pleasantly surprised with last years offseason with FA’s not so much the draft. One big hole is WR and it’s a great class to get impact and depth. This will be year 2 of a 2-3 year fix. Enjoy the ride
Great WR class? Will probably mean GB goes heavy Def again ... Lol

Some things that need that need to be thought through.

We have 3 WRs signed to contracts next year. Adams, Scantling, and St. Brown. Adams $16.6 mill against the cap, and the other two combined, less than $1.5 mill.

At offensive tackle, just two guys are signed. Bakhtiari, and Alex Light. Bakh eats up $14.2 mill, Light $661K.

Our guards, Turner, Taylor, and Jenkins. Combined, about $15 mill.

Centers, Linsley, $10.5 mill.

Tight Ends, Graham $11.7 mill, Sternberger $933K.

first - graham's gotta go. dude is not worth $11.7 million.
second - we need to replace bulaga.
third - i think it makes sense to re-sign lizard.
the other unsigned wrs can look for work elsewhere.

sign a veteran wr that can be counted on as a #2. preferably one who likes to run slants across the middle.
draft a wr that can at least contribute from day one. preferably a slot guy.
draft an ot that can start immediately. not as hard as it seems. there were a couple taken after the first round in 2019 that started right away.

on defense:
sign a veteran dl to replace montravious (another tt bust) and/or a veteran ilb that has coverage skills.
draft an ilb that can cover.
draft a big dl that won't get pushed around by opposing ol.
bring in a late pick and some udfas to find depth at cb and/or safety.

I don't dismiss the Odell option right outta hand, but I think Browns' asking price may be higher than we think, and I can all but guarantee OBJ holding out in 2021 for more guaranteed money...

My current preference is to use a high pick to draft a WR outta this class, and add a UFA vet especially if said great WR class brings FA price tags down. This would leave cap space to use at another position.
I like MVS and EQ. I look for both to take another step next year. But Geronimo and Kumero haven't done much to impress me.

Davante, OBJ, Lazard, MVS and EQ would seem like a pretty good big five, imo.

I like MVS and EQ. I look for both to take another step next year. But Geronimo and Kumero haven't done much to impress me.

Davante, OBJ, Lazard, MVS and EQ would seem like a pretty good big five, imo.
Beckham is not coming to GB next year, sorry to disappoint

Nobody here likes my player personal stuff much but whatever..... GB has been guilty of a cardinal sin the past few seasons, overvaluing their own talent. Hard Cold Facts boys and girls.

Don't @ me with this and or that excuse. Yup, Rodgers got hurt and we had no way to overcome it because we failed to have adequate depth in key positions and or add other playmakers. Even this year take away Rodgers throwing to all these guys...who carries the team ? Our defense certainly isn't consistent enough to do it.

We have two okay, Hot/Cold RB but if they are keyed on without Rodgers arm would they carry us ?

We must add a #2 WR
A real threat at TE
A future #1 RT
Another RB/Feature back ?

Defensively... I don't know what the hell they are trying to do honestly. MP and Gute are rather puzzling so far.

IMHO we need:

A starting MLB
Another DT( If they adjust to another DC you may need a DE)
CB Depth upgrade
Another starting S opposite Savage

We MUST draft a future QB in the next 2-3 draft cycles as well or that "it'll be like the 80"s " talk some of you hate will be very real.

Nobody here likes my player personal stuff much but whatever..... GB has been guilty of a cardinal sin the past few seasons, overvaluing their own talent. Hard Cold Facts boys and girls.

Don't @ me with this and or that excuse. Yup, Rodgers got hurt and we had no way to overcome it because we failed to have adequate depth in key positions and or add other playmakers. Even this year take away Rodgers throwing to all these guys...who carries the team ? Our defense certainly isn't consistent enough to do it.

We have two okay, Hot/Cold RB but if they are keyed on without Rodgers arm would they carry us ?

We must add a #2 WR
A real threat at TE
A future #1 RT

Defensively... I don't know what the hell they are trying to do honestly. MP and Gute are rather puzzling so far.

IMHO we need:

A starting MLB
CB Depth upgrade

We MUST draft a future QB in the next 2-3 draft cycles as well or that "it'll be like the 80"s " talk some of you hate will be very real.
One of these guys will step up at WR. Lazard is coming along well.

Sternberger is in the pipeline at TE. Tonyan is a solid #2 and Mercedes could hold up for one more year. Signing Graham was ordered by Aaron. Same reason he continues to get snaps. Still, he does ok. Just not worth the big money. Wouldn't mind him at the veteran minimum.

RT will be addressed high in the draft, but I still think Jenkins could play there.

At RB, DeX Williams is in the pipeline. He's got the talent, just needs to become a pro.

We must add a #2 WR
A real threat at TE
A future #1 RT

IMHO we need:

A starting MLB
CB Depth upgrade

At MLB, we have Fackrell. Big enough to stuff the run, fluid enough to cover. It's just right now he's one of 4 edge guys. Gary could play MLB too.

Ty Summers and Curtis Bolton are in the pipeline.

Wouldn't mind another DE, but any of these tweeners can play there. Zadarius, Preston, Rashan. Definitely on the draft board tho.

I like Amos as a S, but I wouldn't mind grooming the future.

Last edited:
Back