Packers' Cobb: Jeff Janis 'really close' to becoming key contributor

To be perfectly honest Arod seems to be a bit stuck up it seems with his WR's sometimes. If Janis hasn't earned his trust by now, when he's wide open. Then either Arod is being too critical about it, or Janis shouldn't be out there at all. Second years of "oh he needs to earn more trust, just not there yet". Sorry you guys are professionals. Deal with who you have. The Brady thing is a valid point. He doesn't turn everyone into good WR's. But he uses what he has. And every year it seems some nobody contributes.

Reminds me of something Favre said once about not even knowing the names of all the guys in the huddle. IMO Arod still hasn't reached his full potential, and this is one of the things that's holding him back. I think his level of needing "trust" holds him back. Almost a weakness really. Which is scary considering how good he is now...

I think we can all agree we'd rather have Arod be this way instead of a gunslinger like Brett used to be. Turnovers can be real game killers, especially on the road. I suspect we'll see more of Janis as he and Arod work together in practice. Jeff has something you can't teach = speed. He is one who can really stretch the field, something many of us have been clamoring for this season since Jordy got hurt.

The thing is Janis was so not much the deep threat in college. He caught the short underneath routes and turned them into big plays with his speed. Kind of like he did on the AR scramble play for 33 yards.
The trust talk drives me crazy. There has to be more to the story here. AR was always known to throw the ball to whoever was open. How many times did he have 8-10 different guys catch passes.

What struck me was Aaron said he wishes he could throw the ball 65 times. Do you guys think the offensive play calling is holding him back some?

Last edited:
We didn't put a bunch of maulers on the interior of the line and draft a thunderbucket of a rb to let AR toss it up 50 times a game. Thats not gonna fly in Lambeau in about a month anyway.

That said, I would argue we don't have the personnel healthy to throw it that much right now.

The thing is Janis was so not much the deep threat in college. He caught the short underneath routes and turned them into big plays with his speed. Kind of like he did on the AR scramble play for 33 yards.
The trust talk drives me crazy. There has to be more to the story here. AR was always known to throw the ball to whoever was open. How many times did he have 8-10 different guys catch passes.

What struck me was Aaron said he wishes he could throw the ball 65 times. Do you guys think the offensive play calling is holding him back some?

Interesting question. I'd say yes. To a point. The reasoning why the OC is calling plays like he does may have, and probably does, have a rationale to it.

IMO I'd love to see Arod be a little more like Favre. Ya turnovers are game killers sometimes. But risky throws that work also can win games. Favre was able to balance the two. HOF but almost always was one of the higher INT totals.

I re watched the tape and there were times that Janis was wide open and AR looked right at him. Did he throw him the ball? Nope.

Also, the deep ball that Janis caught was supposed to go to Richard Rodgers.

I just don't get this. Janis may not be able to be trusted all the time but if he is open throw him the damn ball and be a team. bh(
A little surprised that suddenly Aaron is portrayed as NOT hitting the open guy. We have to realize that most of a Pro QBs tosses are before the WR makes his final cut. Aaron is well known for spreading the ball around, for hitting the guy who is open. I think we are over reacting a little here. How many 5th WRs on teams are on the same page as the QB. Brady's had some very mediocre wide outs, but they were his 1-3 WRs. Not his #5. I don't believe there is a conspiracy here, I don't believe our QB won't through it to the open WR. I do believe this is mostly a media concoction resulting from the multitude of injuries to our WR corp.

Also, the deep ball Aaron threw to Janis? The only ones I heard say it was 'maybe' intended for RRod were the TV announcers.

You may be right Dubz but the media isn't the one saying that Janis needs to build that trust with Rodgers. It is Rodgers, Janis and other players saying it. Remember it is the bye week and we have nothing much to discuss so this is a fun little distraction. In the end Rodgers is still playing at MVP caliber and his numbers through 6 games are about the same as last year. I'd say we have nothing to worry about other than health with the team at this point. Depth is good but diminishing quickly with all the injuries

Interesting thread but forgive me some serious misconceptions about WR in general here.

Speed is just not the only factor with a WR, it's how they catch the ball. Route running and ability to work off blocks. Both Janis and Abby are fan favorites but if they were anywhere near as talented as fans perceive them to be both would be starting right now.

Also if you go back on the deep catch by Janis he body catch's that ball which is a real bad habit he has and one I am sure is driving conchs nuts.

As to the Arod trust issue it's valid and you have to grasp that GB runs a ton of timing routes and landmark patterns. Aaron throwing it to a spot in the route tree..he's adapting his package and formations by how the defense is lined up etc. If your WR isn't on the same page it isn't going to work.Period.

Why did James Jones work so well so fast ? He knew the adjustments and landmarks Aaron wanted day 1.

Sorry will get off my sb(

Interesting thread but forgive me some serious misconceptions about WR in general here.

Speed is just not the only factor with a WR, it's how they catch the ball. Route running and ability to work off blocks. Both Janis and Abby are fan favorites but if they were anywhere near as talented as fans perceive them to be both would be starting right now.

Also if you go back on the deep catch by Janis he body catch's that ball which is a real bad habit he has and one I am sure is driving conchs nuts.

As to the Arod trust issue it's valid and you have to grasp that GB runs a ton of timing routes and landmark patterns. Aaron throwing it to a spot in the route tree..he's adapting his package and formations by how the defense is lined up etc. If your WR isn't on the same page it isn't going to work.Period.

Why did James Jones work so well so fast ? He knew the adjustments and landmarks Aaron wanted day 1.

Sorry will get off my sb(

No need to apologize, as long as it's well reasoned and respectful feel free to soap box all you want :D

A little surprised that suddenly Aaron is portrayed as NOT hitting the open guy. We have to realize that most of a Pro QBs tosses are before the WR makes his final cut. Aaron is well known for spreading the ball around, for hitting the guy who is open. I think we are over reacting a little here. How many 5th WRs on teams are on the same page as the QB. Brady's had some very mediocre wide outs, but they were his 1-3 WRs. Not his #5. I don't believe there is a conspiracy here, I don't believe our QB won't through it to the open WR. I do believe this is mostly a media concoction resulting from the multitude of injuries to our WR corp.

Also, the deep ball Aaron threw to Janis? The only ones I heard say it was 'maybe' intended for RRod were the TV announcers.

Very valid point.

Perhaps Janis does not practice well and drops balls so Rodgers won't go to him in a game.

Back