Packers hiring Nathaniel Hackett as offensive coordinator

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net

Green Bay PackersPosition: Offensive coordinator
Personal informationBorn: December 19, 1979 (age 39)
Fullerton, California

High school:Blue Valley Northwest College:California–Davis

Career history As coach:

Word I've heard is that Monken is getting serious attention from my old HC in Stillwater, but I don't think Gundy can pull him from the NFL

Did Jacksonville have an offense?

Not to be an apologist for Hackett, but the Jags’ QB was Blake Bortles, RB Leonard Fournette was hurt most of the season and No. 1 WR Marquise Lee didn’t play a single snap. Besides it's ML offense, he's calling the plays.

I expect Hackett upstairs being ML eyes and telling him what the D is doing. Having experienced eyes up top with Hackett and MP at DC will go along way in helping a rookie HC.

Another story on the hire ~ http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-hire-nathanial-hackett-offensive-coordinator

It took Matt LaFleur only a week to make two of his most important hires as the Packers' new head coach.

The first one he made upon taking the job, when he retained defensive coordinator Mike Pettine from the previous Green Bay staff.

The second one came Monday, when he wrapped up a deal with former Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett to hold the same position with the Packers. A source confirmed that Hackett and LaFleur had reached agreement, as NFL Network first reported.

The only major coordinator position that remains open is special teams. LaFleur did not retain Ron Zook, who ran that unit under former head coach Mike McCarthy for the last four seasons. Multiple reports have tied the Packers to Dolphins special-teams coach Darren Rizzi, who is in limbo while Miami waits to introduce New England Patriots defensive coordinator Brian Flores as its new coach.

Hackett, like LaFleur, is 39 years old and has experience both in the NFL and college. Hackett is perhaps best known for getting the most out of the Jaguars' offense during their 2017 playoff run. They ranked fifth in the NFL in scoring with Blake Bortles at quarterback and had the NFL's top-ranked rushing offense on their way to the AFC Championship Game. But Hackett was fired in November by his longtime boss, head coach Doug Marrone (who also employed Hackett both with the Buffalo Bills and at Syracuse University), after the Jaguars' offense struggled to 21st in the NFL and 28th in points at the time of the move.

Hackett was one of two offensive coordinator candidates LaFleur had eyed. The other was former Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken, who interviewed for the Packers' head-coaching job. Monken was hired over the weekend as the Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator. LaFleur was unable to get permission to interview his younger brother, Mike, or fellow 49ers assistant coach Mike McDaniel for the job. Mike LaFleur serves as head coach Kyle Shanahan's passing game coordinator, while McDaniel is in charge of San Francisco's run game.

In addition to Pettine, LaFleur also will retain defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery and tight ends coach Brian Angelichio from McCarthy's staff. It's unclear exactly what their titles will be.

Did Jacksonville have an offense?

In 2018, with all the roster issues they had, they averaged 17.9 pts per game with Hackett calling the shots, and 7.6 pts per game after firing him. So whatever offense they had sure seems to have gone out the door with him.

Reading an article on the athletic site I have changed my mind on this hire. He sounds like a decent hire. He won't have play calling duties but that might be best as the once coach said he was not scared of his play calling. But will be able to work with LaFleur and put together a good game plan and help be able to teach guys and push them to get better.

He appears to be young enough to understand the movement in the NFL towards these more "innovative" offenses, but old enough to have some experience behind him to be able to help ML in implementing any new offensive scheme.

I can't judge this decision to be honest. I have to wait and see how Hackett and Le Fleur develop the offense around the skill sets of the players they'll have going into the season. I'm hopeful, and I see good signs though. That's a lot better than I felt last year at this time.

Let's see where this leads.

I think his experience is a plus.
I don't hold 2018 against him too much. JAX, as a team, was a dumpster fire this year. Their vaunted defense was in the crapper worse than the offense was.
His tenure in JAX had that offense arrow pointing up until what happened this last season.

I'm with TW in that I'm cautiously optimistic with an eye looking forward to see what unfolds.

Back