Packers HOF'er Herb Adderley passes away

I met him one time. It was New Years Eve, 1961. I went to a bar named Speed's in Green Bay on New Years Eve, after having attended the NFL Championship game earlier that day when the Packers won their first ever Championship in a game played in Green Bay, over the Giants, 37-0. Looking for a spot at the bar to order a drink, I found one spot open next to the last spot at the bar on the far left side, after I came in the door. I walked over there, through the crowd, and the guy sitting next to the guy on the end got up just as I got there, and I sat down.

I ordered a rum & coke, and the guy sitting to my left said; "Sure is crowded!," and kind of chuckled. I looked over at him, and recognized immediately it was Herb Adderley. "It sure is." I answered smiling back at him. "By the way. Great game today!" He'd intercepted a pass.

"You saw it?" He said, with a smile. "Sure did! I was sitting at about the 40 yard line. You had it all the way."

"Scared the bejeebers out of me." He said. "If I'd a dropped it coach would have been all over me. Coach said; 'Way to go son!,' as I left the field. I almost cried." He gave me a tap on the shoulder.

I bought him a drink, and he bought one back. We talked a while, and he had to go back to his apartment to get ready for the next day. He and other players who lived in the same building were getting together to watch the New Years Day games on TV. I don't remember which player he mentioned, but one of them had his wife there with him in GB, and she was baking a turkey and ham for them. We wished each other a belated Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year, and he left.

I proceeded to have a great evening, hobnobbing with over 25% of the Packer players, all of whom were at the bar.

To me, the way Herb commented about coach told me all I needed to know about him. He was a humble man, who worked hard to accomplish what he did. He didn't take any of it for granted.

I met him one time. It was New Years Eve, 1961. I went to a bar named Speed's in Green Bay on New Years Eve, after having attended the NFL Championship game earlier that day when the Packers won their first ever Championship in a game played in Green Bay, over the Giants, 37-0. Looking for a spot at the bar to order a drink, I found one spot open next to the last spot at the bar on the far left side, after I came in the door. I walked over there, through the crowd, and the guy sitting next to the guy on the end got up just as I got there, and I sat down.

I ordered a rum & coke, and the guy sitting to my left said; "Sure is crowded!," and kind of chuckled. I looked over at him, and recognized immediately it was Herb Adderley. "It sure is." I answered smiling back at him. "By the way. Great game today!" He'd intercepted a pass.

"You saw it?" He said, with a smile. "Sure did! I was sitting at about the 40 yard line. You had it all the way."

"Scared the bejeebers out of me." He said. "If I'd a dropped it coach would have been all over me. Coach said; 'Way to go son!,' as I left the field. I almost cried." He gave me a tap on the shoulder.

I bought him a drink, and he bought one back. We talked a while, and he had to go back to his apartment to get ready for the next day. He and other players who lived in the same building were getting together to watch the New Years Day games on TV. I don't remember which player he mentioned, but one of them had his wife there with him in GB, and she was baking a turkey and ham for them. We wished each other a belated Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year, and he left.

I proceeded to have a great evening, hobnobbing with over 25% of the Packer players, all of whom were at the bar.

To me, the way Herb commented about coach told me all I needed to know about him. He was a humble man, who worked hard to accomplish what he did. He didn't take any of it for granted.
Great story TW. Back then players could go out on town without being hounded for pics and autographs. Now no way they can go out unless they have a group with them or security to keep people away.

Great story TW. Back then players could go out on town without being hounded for pics and autographs. Now no way they can go out unless they have a group with them or security to keep people away.

In those days, everyone was accessible. That morning, before the Championship game, we attended Mass at St. Willebrord in Green Bay, and sitting in the front row was Vince Lombardi and family. He was no different than anyone else. When we left the church, he was shaking hands with everyone as they walked past him, where he was talking to the Priest. It was what he did on Sunday mornings before home games. He was just part of the community, as far as he was concerned. That was the first time I met him. Just a hand shake. Then there was the dinner that night, which is another story. I've mentioned it out here.

I would not trade my life for anything. I've been so many places, met so many people, walked with them, talked with them, discussed everything from diagramming football plays, to world politics with national figures as high as President. Someone said I should write a book, but that would mean revealing intimate details about discussions I had with people, that probably want, or wanted to keep it personal, not public knowledge. Never violate that trust, because it can never be reclaimed.

I do remember one encounter, with LeRoy Butler, in GB. My wife had bought a copy of his book, and we ran into him in the motel. I asked him if he'd be so kind as to sign it. He did, without reservation.

"You know." I said. "Your Lambeau leap may be one of the most important things that came out of the early 90s in GB. It brought the team and players closer together." He laughed and said; "I don't think so. It was just something we had talked about, and I did it first."

Years later, as the leap became legend, I ran into him by accident at the place where we had our summer home in Wisconsin. He looked at me and asked; "Do I know you?" "Not exactly," I said, "but you did sign a book for my wife in Green Bay years ago. I mentioned to you about the leap?"

"That's it. I remember. I didn't believe it at the time. You were right. It has become so much a part of the game." Then we talked for a few minutes, shook hands, and went our separate ways. I haven't seen him since.

Back