Packers named most passionate fan base

alternative viewpoint: leroy butler was unable to deliver on promises due to the fact that his business failed. because the business failed, he also was forced to default on the economic development loan.

many new businesses fail. i'm not sure it is fair to call the owners of those businesses thieves and criminals.

Former Packer LeRoy Butler closes Waupaca Ford dealership
Comparing the closing of his Ford dealership to losing Super Bowl XXXII, former Green Bay Packer LeRoy Butler called the business’ last day one of the saddest in his life.

Butler, who played in two Super Bowls with the Packers, confirmed the Waupaca dealership, which employed 15 people, had closed last Thursday, according to a report in the Green Bay Press Gazette.

“No question, this is as sad as losing the Super Bowl,” he said. “I'm heartbroken for my employees. That’s tearing me apart.”

Butler said his partners are in negotiations with a prospective buyer, but the future of the dealership is linked to the strength of the economy. “It's not up to par yet,” he said. “Having the available cash that Ford required was basically it. You’ve got to have cash all the time.”

Butler also cited Waupaca’s highly seasonal population as a factor in the dealership’s demise, saying the business was particularly challenged during the winter months.

He said the owners would reconcile delinquent tax warrants filed against the business.
Bullshit...that's my backyard so save me the "alternative viewpoints ", Butler is a lying piece of crap. I personally know two of the organizations he screwed. He is not worthy of any kind of praise.

I never did hear what happened with that situation. I think a lot of these guys put together charitable groups, then suck the money out of it through "expenses." I won't say who I've felt has done it, but let's just say Butler isn't the only one who has, and is, doing it.

These guys don't just show up and do good deeds. Rest assured, there's a paycheck attached to everything they do. The purist among them is fairly rare, but there are some. I believe J.J. Watt is one of them. The guy is constantly doing things to help others, and I think he gets high on the idea that he's doing something good.

That said, can't even be certain about Watt.

Mark asked me to chime in on this, I was part of Iola youth FB when he approached us about sponsorship and providing equipment. Now we were in relatively good shape at the time but others swallowed whole and they counted on those promises.

The checks bounced and he wouldn't answer the phone. We made out okay but two other communities had people taking out loans to cover for his SNAFU. So yes he isn't very respected in those circles anymore. Just think about it deeper. He short changed youth programs and then he skipped town. Not a very honorable fellow.

Mark asked me to chime in on this, I was part of Iola youth FB when he approached us about sponsorship and providing equipment. Now we were in relatively good shape at the time but others swallowed whole and they counted on those promises.

The checks bounced and he wouldn't answer the phone. We made out okay but two other communities had people taking out loans to cover for his SNAFU. So yes he isn't very respected in those circles anymore. Just think about it deeper. He short changed youth programs and then he skipped town. Not a very honorable fellow.
Thanks Steve!

Bullshit...that's my backyard so save me the "alternative viewpoints ", Butler is a lying piece of crap. I personally know two of the organizations he screwed. He is not worthy of any kind of praise.

sorry, didn't mean to piss you off. i know i don't have all the facts. now i have more facts, and it sounds like you are correct. i'm a little surprised that packersnews.com hired him.

sorry, didn't mean to piss you off. i know i don't have all the facts. now i have more facts, and it sounds like you are correct. i'm a little surprised that packersnews.com hired him.
You didn't, I'm very sensitive to that situation as it was my hometown that paid the deepest price, the guy in charge literally had to go to the bank and put his home up so they would deliver equipment.

What really gets me is he blew all of it off.... went undercover and has emerged as you mentioned as this hero on the internet. He might have been a solid safety that did some good things but for me knowing the person.... gotta pass on the HOF.

I've always believe the person you are off the field should be equally important in making HOF.

Surprised more people are not made aware of his past figure with social media today he would be put on blast.

I've always believe the person you are off the field should be equally important in making HOF.
Perhaps this is maybe why he has not made the HOF. People know about his history and that has kept him out.

A-holes make the HOF in various sports every year. Not sure if this matters to voters much. Sure, the guys who cheated the game often don't get in, but unless the off-the-field stuff was a felony it often doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks for the information on Butler and the goings on in Waupaca. I remember driving past that dealership a number of times and wondered what got him involved in a business in Waupaca. As someone not familiar with the story when it closed, it didn't seem that odd - hell, businesses fail all the time. Never thought much more about it.

I suspect he and his partner thought there'd be bigger money to be made owning a car dealership and when that didn't pan out they took what they could and bailed. Most of these athletes with no real understanding of how to own and run a business should just dump their money in mutual funds and learn to live on that.

** Edit . . . to be clear, I don't know if Butler is an a-hole or just a guy who got in over his head and messed up. The statement above was more a generic thing about how there are lots of crappy people in the HOF but the voters don't really seem to factor that in very much, and they probably shouldn't or the whole process just turns into more of a soap opera than it already is.

Last edited:
Back