Packers To Hire Matt LaFleur As HC

Also remember MM kept Jim Bates’ whole staff for two years until he mandated the switch to a 3-4 with Capers after the ‘08 season. So LaFleur may keep Pettine for continuity for now, and he may actually let Pettine pick his own staff, which MM did not allow.

I think that would be smart. Pettine has yrs of experience and knows what he wants in assistants.
At least let him in on the decision process

Done deal: The #Packers and Matt LaFleur agreed to a four-year contract with a fifth-year option, source said. Strong numbers for a first-time coach. They got their guy.
— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero)

The Titans ran the ball a lot last year. Which is a little surprising in that LeFleur was an upcoming commodity coming out of last years coaching searches. You'd think he'd go all 5 wide and motion and innovation to try and build up his resume. But he really didn't. He pretty much stuck with what the Titans did best.

I don't want this to become LeFleur has to fix Rodgers. LeFleur has to fix this offense. And the culture in GB in general. He's got a big job ahead of him.

The Titans ran the ball a lot last year. Which is a little surprising in that LeFleur was an upcoming commodity coming out of last years coaching searches. You'd think he'd go all 5 wide and motion and innovation to try and build up his resume. But he really didn't. He pretty much stuck with what the Titans did best.

I don't want this to become LeFleur has to fix Rodgers. LeFleur has to fix this offense. And the culture in GB in general. He's got a big job ahead of him.
Though you had a QB that was hurt a bunch and struggled and a really weak WR group. Titans really did not have much to work with outside of the RB's.

Though you had a QB that was hurt a bunch and struggled and a really weak WR group. Titans really did not have much to work with outside of the RB's.

That's what FT was highlighting in his post. ML focused on the offensive strength and not solely on a high flying offense which they didn't have the personnel

I said something similar in shout. This can't be the Aaron Rodgers show. This team needs fixing across the board, in all facets.

That's what FT was highlighting in his post. ML focused on the offensive strength and not solely on a high flying offense which they didn't have the personnel
and Derrick Henry was a non factor till week 13....I get the LA success butt while I like the hire and optimistic, I am not ready to say this a lock hire

and Derrick Henry was a non factor till week 13....I get the LA success butt while I like the hire and optimistic, I am not ready to say this a lock hire

By no means a lock hire. This team has issues that need to be dealt with and that won't be easy for a young, first time HC. Front office has to do their part as well.

Well, in TENN it was a new head coach (Vrabel) who may have wanted a run heavy scheme. After all he has a tough guy persona.
It may have been ML running Vrabels offense and now that he’s calling is own shots it may be very different.
FWIW

Reality is there was no lock hire out there. Did LaFleur have other HC interviews besides GB? I don't know how in demand he was. The point is, Gute hired a guy that (presumably) fits his vision for the team in terms of attitude and scheme, impressed him with the X's and O's and that jived well personally with him. Without a key additions at at least 2 levels of the D, that group just isn't going to improve, and without getting Aaron to buy in to what the HC wants - any HC - the offense isn't going to improve either. Those are universal challenges and universal issues for any HC. I'm glad and hopeful that the GM hired a guy that meshed with him, because that's about as good as you can do in this situation. The 2019 Packers are not a SB team just waiting to happen. Best case they are a 2016 Packers waiting to happen, as currently constructed.

Back