Penn State all but ends Badgers West division hopes in 22-10 loss

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The chances of a Wisconsin Badgers West division title in 2018 rested on winning out, but the Penn State Nittany Lions had other ideas and frustrated the Badgers in a 22-10 win on Saturday afternoon. With the loss, the Badgers are all but completely out of West division contention. Wisconsin would need the Wildcats to lose all three of their upcoming games and win out the rest of the way to take...

Source

Continue reading...

The offensive game plan was designed to not lose badly, not actually go all out to win. There was no fire in the offense during the 4th quarter. They even wasted time outs by not knowing what they were doing on offense when they should have had two or three plays already called and been in hurry up mode. Very poor showing. I don't like the ramifications from games like this.

Let’s get the obvious out of the way. Coan is not ready for any meaningful snaps. The game plan was to not put him in a position to make plays. Keep the game close and win late. If any coach plans a game not to win and make a plan to not lose big he should be fired on the spot.

Coan was thrown into a no win situation. The timeouts were a communications issue witn Coan. It’s his 2nd start and my guess is they are working with 75% of the playbook. Yes very vanilla conservative approach but the right thing to do. So many fans wanted Coan to replace Hornibrook. Well they got what they wished and got a slap of reality

We are Wisconsin. We are not OSU or Michigan or even PSU. We don’t get 4 star kids to play QB and we sure as hell don’t get backup QBs who can step in and win games. Hornibrook plays yesterday they win.

Agree Pack, I think this was coaching to the talent available at QB. Playbook was pretty limited with him in there. Now, even then, there are still some things about the gameplan that I didn't like. Not sure if Chryst is just being too close to the vest with the gameplan or if it's truly Rudolph calling the plays does he need to be replaced/over-ridden.

Jonathan Taylor is a great back who unlike many good Badger backs also has some speed to him. I'd have to go back and look for sure, but I think every run play for him in the first 3 drives was run between the tackles. PSU had 8 men in a tighter box after that first drive and yet no adjustment. It's hard to win games when you don't stretch defenses horizontally hardly at all. Something as simple as a short toss sweep would be an effective way to get Taylor isolated on a single tackler in space.

Coan is clearly more athletic than Horni. Why not roll him out and give him some easy short throws. The bonus is that you can also allow Coan easier choices - see the short open receiver(s) in front of you and make the pass, see some open field and make a productive run, make it even easier to throw it away if nothing is there as you are already outside the tackle box. Add some simple elements to the gameplan that are not part of Horni's schtick, but might suit Coan's limited abilities.

When you don't have what you need get creative. There is nothing to be lost at this point. You can't win the West and you are bowl eligible. I did not see a single play that looked remotely like a "trick" play. Even Barry, who set the conservative course for this program used to pull something unconventional 8-10 times per season. The 2018 Badgers do nothing that isn't conventional.

Agree Pack, I think this was coaching to the talent available at QB. Playbook was pretty limited with him in there. Now, even then, there are still some things about the gameplan that I didn't like. Not sure if Chryst is just being too close to the vest with the gameplan or if it's truly Rudolph calling the plays does he need to be replaced/over-ridden.

Jonathan Taylor is a great back who unlike many good Badger backs also has some speed to him. I'd have to go back and look for sure, but I think every run play for him in the first 3 drives was run between the tackles. PSU had 8 men in a tighter box after that first drive and yet no adjustment. It's hard to win games when you don't stretch defenses horizontally hardly at all. Something as simple as a short toss sweep would be an effective way to get Taylor isolated on a single tackler in space.

Coan is clearly more athletic than Horni. Why not roll him out and give him some easy short throws. The bonus is that you can also allow Coan easier choices - see the short open receiver(s) in front of you and make the pass, see some open field and make a productive run, make it even easier to throw it away if nothing is there as you are already outside the tackle box. Add some simple elements to the gameplan that are not part of Horni's schtick, but might suit Coan's limited abilities.

When you don't have what you need get creative. There is nothing to be lost at this point. You can't win the West and you are bowl eligible. I did not see a single play that looked remotely like a "trick" play. Even Barry, who set the conservative course for this program used to pull something unconventional 8-10 times per season. The 2018 Badgers do nothing that isn't conventional.
With this receiving unit I’m not sure what you can do. Even when Coan rolled out he threw late and off target. If I was going to make on change it would be more jet sweep action but that’s splitting hairs

Back