Pettine Comments

Nerd

Reaction score
On bend-but-don’t-break defense:
You want to be dominant. But if that’s off the table, you want to make sure where you’re going to be good, it’s going to be keeping teams out of the end zone. That’s one area we have done a good job. You don’t like it too when you have No. 12 on the other side of the ball … you want him back out there. We have to get off the field. When we have opportunities to do it, we have to take advantage of it.
Here he is essentially admitting that they are "not dominant." I know, but it's a little disconcerting to see him outright admitting that.

Someone should ask him WHY. They played very well, first 1/4 of the season imo.

On Rashan Gary:
He’s graded out well when he’s been in there. He’s had some good rushes and gotten some pressures. Like Kyler Fackrell, he’s a victim of two other guys in that room playing extremely well and getting production. He’s on a progression, he’s on a path that we feel he’s made improvement from Day 1 and we’re certainly confident that’s going to continue. … He has the ability to play (inside or outside). That’s what I see in his ability, a guy who can rush outside early or bump inside.

That's cool, but I'd like to get specifics about how Gary has improved. Get him on one of these shows with LeRoy Butler and let's see examples of his improvement on film. "Before and after" clips.

He did state that Gary could move inside. Size to stuff the run, speed to cover. Might need a year to get good at coverage tho.

Gary can also put his hand in the dirt, which he did in college. Kingsley Keke has been getting more reps on the Dline. Seems like Montravius has faded since the early games.

Link

Why should dominating be off the table? To me it says either you're players or your scheme is not good enough or maybe both. Sorry I am not wanting a DC who says yeah being ok on defense is fine because we have a good QB to bail us out if we get in trouble.

Because the they have been not been dominate thats why its off the table. They "looked" dominate the first 5 games of the season because 2 guys got to the QB and also forced come turnovers. How many times have we discussed ILB play and even S play to some extent. How many times have we discussed lack of depth on the DL and just DL play overall?

I find it funny that people bashed McCarthy for not being accountable and making his players accountable but when the DC speaks the truth and does not sugar coat it people get their undies in a wad.

They played "well" the first half of the season, but why? Well take a look at the game logs of both Smiths first 5 games over last 6 games. While the stats are good they are not "dominate" like the 1st half. Is part of it scheme yes but the talent level all year have been questionable

They played "well" the first half of the season, but why? Well take a look at the game logs of both Smiths first 5 games over last 6 games. While the stats are good they are not "dominate" like the 1st half. Is part of it scheme yes but the talent level all year have been questionable

IMO that difference is directly attributable to Kenny Clark. Look at his difference in play the first 4 games or so compared to the rest of the season. Hell, last year without the influx of talent at edge and in the secondary this D was performing the same as this year because Clark was just a problem in the middle. Develop that interior pass rush again and watch the numbers for Z and Preston shoot up again.

Interesting stats danno, it's really been the key to that 9-3 record. My take on the D is that you can basically gain 7 yards against them on every play, until you get inside the 10. They simply don't contest you on plays. They don't fight for every inch, they concede every inch. It's the Fabian strategy. Sure Hannibal is running roughshod throughout Italy but he'll wear down and we really just need to land a punch every now and then to keep him off balance.

It's the Fabian strategy. Sure Hannibal is running roughshod throughout Italy but he'll wear down and we really just need to land a punch every now and then to keep him off balance.

The Battle of Cannae is probably more appropriate, as the Senate fired Fabian for his strategy. Hannibal giving ground in the middle and then suddenly stiffening, encircling, and slaughtering is more apt for our defense.

Kenny is getting healthy of late. Keke is getting up to speed in place of Montravius. Now we need Cambell to get solid at hybrid S

The Battle of Cannae is probably more appropriate, as the Senate fired Fabian for his strategy. Hannibal giving ground in the middle and then suddenly stiffening, encircling, and slaughtering is more apt for our defense.

Whatever the analogy, I don't think the D is going anywhere until we find our Scipio Africanus, who takes the fight to the enemy and knows how to deal with those elephants. That's not Pettine.

Back