Player Watch List

Been watching a bunch of college games this year but am just starting to get familiar and don't have names and what year they can enter down yet. Sorry will improve on this as time allows, as also very busy with life.

Wolverines.... Seems to have a couple of playmakers in the LB group.

Pass rusher/LBer....outside if the big names which probably don't have a shot at, the one on Northwestern looked pretty good to me..his name.begins with G .

2 WRs stood out....Victor from OS, and number 9 on Penn St. Likewise also like the TE from Penn.

For future watching like the QB from Penn St so far.

So many holes, picks don't fill them in year one. It takes at least into second year to be truly effective. It's the learning curve.

So, we draft next year, get some potential, but we know nothing until the fall of 2021, and by then, there are more holes needed to be filled because of guys who are sent packing. We always seem to be sticking corks in holes in the dike, not making a real fix.

Until there's a change in the entire front office, and coaching, the philosophy of mediocrity won't change.

Not quite sure what to make of TW's response, but going with what I think Terranimal was asking.....

Try to catch a Clemson game. Three of their DL, Ferrell, Wilkins and Lawrence could be first rounders. Not convinced of the 4th, Bryant (he just doesn't create plays on his own). Like Burns from Florida State, a little skinny, but very quick and he's supposed to have high football IQ. Two Miami players also caught my eye- Joe Jackson DE and Quatermaine LB. 'Bama has a kid I like also, Mack Wilson, OLB. Pretty Edge oriented, but that's were I think we need to go in the draft. Rashan Gary from Michigan seems to be a Pettine type DL.
College has been a lot more fun to watch than the NFL this year.

Not quite sure what to make of TW's response, but going with what I think Terranimal was asking.....

Try to catch a Clemson game. Three of their DL, Ferrell, Wilkins and Lawrence could be first rounders. Not convinced of the 4th, Bryant (he just doesn't create plays on his own). Like Burns from Florida State, a little skinny, but very quick and he's supposed to have high football IQ. Two Miami players also caught my eye- Joe Jackson DE and Quatermaine LB. 'Bama has a kid I like also, Mack Wilson, OLB. Pretty Edge oriented, but that's were I think we need to go in the draft. Rashan Gary from Michigan seems to be a Pettine type DL.
College has been a lot more fun to watch than the NFL this year.

Nice list. Watched Clemson vs Syracuse and A&M. My thing is are they as good because of the sum of the parts or could they be that dominate one on one without the support? I know they should go high but I actually think they looked better last year, just me. Gary is my favorite player on your list but my fear he goes Top 10 and out of reach. Let me add Winovich from Michigan. Guy just makes plays and has a motor

I was indicating that it takes two to three years for the results of a singular draft to start showing results. By the time that starts to happen, there are new weak spots on the team. You can end up constantly trying to patch holes without gaining ground because guys leave, or end up failing.

When you're patching holes, you're playing to stay at the top rung of mediocrity because the top cant be reached without some miraculous event where all your key players stay healthy and you don't need to bank too much on reserves.

My belief, when you are at that point, you'd be better off tearing the whole roster down and rebuilding from scratch. When you saddle yourself with a contract that's huge - Rodgers as an example - you've pretty much committed yourself to patching holes, and hoping he's good enough to make it work.

I was indicating that it takes two to three years for the results of a singular draft to start showing results. By the time that starts to happen, there are new weak spots on the team. You can end up constantly trying to patch holes without gaining ground because guys leave, or end up failing.

When you're patching holes, you're playing to stay at the top rung of mediocrity because the top cant be reached without some miraculous event where all your key players stay healthy and you don't need to bank too much on reserves.

My belief, when you are at that point, you'd be better off tearing the whole roster down and rebuilding from scratch. When you saddle yourself with a contract that's huge - Rodgers as an example - you've pretty much committed yourself to patching holes, and hoping he's good enough to make it work.
Wel l that’s the nature of the NFL. Unless you get a QB or other pick on a 5th year option that it. And then you have a team like LA who has that luxury and committed to spend on defense.

And what do you consider mediocrity? If it’s a anything but a deep run (NFCCG) each year then honesty expectations are too high. The league with the CBA is not set up for that type of success. Sure the exception may be NE but that’s a bigger discussion.

Yup, "patching holes" pretty much seems to be the nature of the NFL these days. NE is the exception to some degree; not that they aren't patching, but rather that they are better at patching than any other team.

As TW states, you have to wait 2-3 years before you know what you have in your rookies, and then a year or so later you have to decide which ones you won't be able to re-sign. Or if you do re-sign them all, you have to decide which veteran starter(s) to ditch to make room in the CAP. New holes seem to show up every year - losses in FA, retirement, and major injuries.

What the Packers seem to lack is efficiency in patching them. Just look at CB. They have invested 5 top picks in the last few years at the position. With better choices, maybe a couple of those picks could have been used at OL or OLB and there'd be less holes.

Teams that can't compete for championships are fodder for those that can. For over two decades the Packers were fodder. To those of us who lived through those horrible years, the lack of movement by the front office resembles the Packers of those days. They raked in the money, had black ink, and that was all that mattered.

Until Harlan, Wolf, and Holmgren came along, the BOD was happy to just maintain the status quo. But, the profits were slipping, and things had to be done to maintain respectability. They invested in assistants in the front office, and on the sidelines, and all facets of the business and game to create a "new era," where failure to reach at least being a championship challenger was a lost season.

Since most of us who lived through that era and supported the team seem to be of less importance to the organization, and as a voice as to what they do, we may be doomed to history repeating itself.

Teams that can't compete for championships are fodder for those that can. For over two decades the Packers were fodder. To those of us who lived through those horrible years, the lack of movement by the front office resembles the Packers of those days. They raked in the money, had black ink, and that was all that mattered.

Until Harlan, Wolf, and Holmgren came along, the BOD was happy to just maintain the status quo. But, the profits were slipping, and things had to be done to maintain respectability. They invested in assistants in the front office, and on the sidelines, and all facets of the business and game to create a "new era," where failure to reach at least being a championship challenger was a lost season.

Since most of us who lived through that era and supported the team seem to be of less importance to the organization, and as a voice as to what they do, we may be doomed to history repeating itself.

Wolf, Harlan and Holmgren had a much different landscape to deal with in regards to the CBA and Salary Cap. It made a major difference. I don't think in todays cap ear you can afford the same team was we had in the White / Favre era. And if you are using the standard as the NFCCG as a standard of "Championship Contender" the scorecard on that is McCarthy 3 Holmgren 3. Part of the problem is this team/organization has had a run of success only next to New England. Its fan base is spoiled. In this salary cap era some expectations are just unrealistic. Do I think we are in for the dark ages again post Rodgers no. Will we have a few 8-8 type seasons yes, its the nature of the league in this era. And who knows how the new CBA will impact the league in the next 10-15 years?

Back