Politics and Football don't mix

"The Steelers will not take the field for the national anthem today. Team is in "100% unification" on decision."

wow. just wow. i get the fact that there is a problem with the way our nation's police force treats people of color (not just blacks, by the way). sometimes i'm embarrassed to be an old white male. i also get the fact that everyone - including people who get paid millions of dollars to play a game - has a right to express an opinion. but what i do not get is how you can show absolutely zero respect for the flag of this nation based on this one unresolved aspect of our nation's evolution.

speak out about racial injustice. do what you can to effect change in a positive way. but don't spit in the face of every serviceman and woman who has sacrificed to make sure that you have the right to express your opinions. don't ignore all of the opportunities that you have been given because you live in this nation and are good at playing a game that people like to watch.

i'm sure that the steelers organization believes they are doing the right thing, but in my opinion they could not be more wrong.
You're dead wrong RB... first did you read the whole statement or just the part about then not coming out ??

From Tomlin >

"You know, these are very divisive times for our country and for us as a football team it's about us remaining solid. We're not going to be divided by anything said by anyone. ... "[I told our players] if you feel the need to do anything I'm going to be supportive of that -- as Americans you have that right. But whatever we do we're going to do 100 percent, we're going to do together. We're not going to let divisive times or divisive individuals affect our agenda."

On Saturday, Steelers president Art Rooney II issued this statement: "I believe the commissioner made an appropriate statement and I have nothing to add at this time."

Watch the video here >>>>https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/201...ers-anthem-locker-room-no-participation-video

That's leadership by a HC

the nfl commissioner comes out and says that what the president said shows a lack of respect for the nfl. the immediate thought that popped into my head was "is the nfl even worthy of respect"?

according to the nfl's own personal conduct policy, "it is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. we are all held to a higher standard and must conduct ourselves in a way that is responsible, promotes the values of the nfl, and is lawful."

that's a great thought, but who here believes that the nfl actually upholds this policy? sure there are individual players who live up to those lofty goals. but it certainly isn't the entire league.

any way, if roger goodell thinks that all of these millionaires showing disrespect for the country that gave them their millions is holding themselves to "a higher standard" and conducting themselves "in a way that promotes the values of the nfl", then i think it is time for congress to revoke the anti-trust exemption that bestowed upon them and allowed them to build the empire that now exists.

"Steelers LT and Army veteran Alejandro Villanueva stands near the tunnel during the national anthem. The rest of the team remained in the locker room."

so much for "100% unification".

21768381_10155897931204171_6728973701383457994_n.jpg

"The Steelers will not take the field for the national anthem today. Team is in "100% unification" on decision."

wow. just wow. i get the fact that there is a problem with the way our nation's police force treats people of color (not just blacks, by the way). sometimes i'm embarrassed to be an old white male. i also get the fact that everyone - including people who get paid millions of dollars to play a game - has a right to express an opinion. but what i do not get is how you can show absolutely zero respect for the flag of this nation based on this one unresolved aspect of our nation's evolution.

speak out about racial injustice. do what you can to effect change in a positive way. but don't spit in the face of every serviceman and woman who has sacrificed to make sure that you have the right to express your opinions. don't ignore all of the opportunities that you have been given because you live in this nation and are good at playing a game that people like to watch.

i'm sure that the steelers organization believes they are doing the right thing, but in my opinion they could not be more wrong.

I believe you are right, rb, if for no other reason than this: when you stay inside for the anthem, when you turn your back on the anthem and the flag, you are in effect ceding the anthem and the flag to Donald Trump. And I think that's wildly inappropriate. Trump challenged these players and said his vision of America is the right one. Instead of answering the challenge, they are saying Yes, you're right, it is. That's a radical, revolutionary statement that I am not on board with.

I would rather they not come out at all then make a spectacle of the anthem and ceremony. That's why I like the Steelers approach. It's a Football game not a platform for anyone's political grandstanding.

Off Topic but my hometown lost another true american hero ...

http://www.clinehansonfuneralhome.com/m/?p=memorial&id=2011326

He received the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star, and four Purple Hearts; he was also awarded the Presidential Unit Citation, Combat Infantryman Badge, 7 Major Campaign Ribbons, and the French Legion Honor Award.

4 purple hearts...he went back 3 times after being wounded.

But we honor a bunch of million dollar tit babies who cry because potus called me a bad name mom Baby)bh(

Players need to stop this BS. Fans don't pay good money or watch games on TV to see millionaire's putting their poltical beliefs on the field. This stupid kneeling is doing nothing but dividing the country. Perhaps if they get out there and do stuff to make social changes in the community and help try to work with police and the community to improve things it would be a better choice.

Back