Post Game: Green Bay Ties Minnesota 29-29

Last thing and I promise I will be done with this. :)

I re-watched the game and this is what I saw:

Offense- I had no issue with the play calling. We actually balanced the pass and run very well. The drive deep in our own territory was taken away by referee calls. No PI on Graham and offensive PI on Adams. Both horrible calls which would have gotten us over the 50. Maybe a fg, td, or at least tilt field position. But no go due to the referee bad calls. The red zone was our issue; however, two trips were subject to very iffy calls. The holding penalty on Taylor and the catch by Adams. I watched the replay of TD to Adams and that could have been called a catch. He had the ball secured and his knees were down in the end zone. The refs should have at least replayed it to ensure it was not a TD. We did have some o-line break downs at bad times. Bulaga had two in the red zone areas that stopped drives and led to sacks. Adams catches that TD or did he and the holding penalty is not called (IMO should have not been) we have two TD's instead of FG's. Otherwise, the O played well.

Defense- Even though we gave up 22 points in the 4th, I point to two plays. The deep ball to Diggs and the TD to Thielen at the end of the 4th. House got beat, yes but Brice was at fault. He was looking to the middle and right side of the field and moved up to help out on another route that he shouldn't have. That left the deep ball wide open. If he does his job that ball is knocked away or picked. The Thielen TD was a combo of Alexander and Brice's fault. Alexander had perfect position but did not look up at the ball. Could have been a pick or knocked away. Brice played the ball perfectly but let it go right through his hands. More Brice's fault because it would have been a tough play for Alexander. We need a safety! The D actually played pretty damn well except for those two plays and the overtime. Cousins was really good yesterday. He was very accurate and made some really good throws even when they were covered. If not for the stupid Clay call, Cousins would have had 3 tds 2 ints and about 280 yards passing. Not that great considered how well he was throwing the ball.

This is just my take. Yes, we made some mistakes but we did win that ball game. I do not complain about referees at all normally but wow that game was bad. I am optimistic about this team. I think if we stay healthy Graham and AR will get even a better connection and this D could be pretty solid later in the year. Besides safety. :)

I know. I have green and gold colored glasses. ggg(ggg(

The D actually played pretty damn well except for those two plays and the overtime.

I think what you were seeing was that MP was playing to take away the run and not give up the big play over the top. It worked for a while, sort of, but it allowed them to pile up yards and go on long drives. If that's the D plan, then the O needs to also go on long, time consuming drives and finish them off with TDs because the D is still conceding yards and completions and running around and getting tired. And eventually they just wore down up front and when King was replaced by House it really hurt them because House can't run like King - so then they lost the battle up front AND over the top, and that's when they really broke late.

You are absolutely right though, Brice blew it on those two big plays. On the Diggs TD he allowed House to take on Diggs 1 on 1 while shading to the other side and essentially triple teaming Treadwell (?!), which is really just a low football IQ play. On the Thielen TD he came flying over and was right there, but he has to play the ball. He just stopped looking at it and was looking at the other players - again, low football IQ play.

Last thing and I promise I will be done with this. :)

I re-watched the game and this is what I saw:

Offense- I had no issue with the play calling. We actually balanced the pass and run very well. The drive deep in our own territory was taken away by referee calls. No PI on Graham and offensive PI on Adams. Both horrible calls which would have gotten us over the 50. Maybe a fg, td, or at least tilt field position. But no go due to the referee bad calls. The red zone was our issue; however, two trips were subject to very iffy calls. The holding penalty on Taylor and the catch by Adams. I watched the replay of TD to Adams and that could have been called a catch. He had the ball secured and his knees were down in the end zone. The refs should have at least replayed it to ensure it was not a TD. We did have some o-line break downs at bad times. Bulaga had two in the red zone areas that stopped drives and led to sacks. Adams catches that TD or did he and the holding penalty is not called (IMO should have not been) we have two TD's instead of FG's. Otherwise, the O played well.

Defense- Even though we gave up 22 points in the 4th, I point to two plays. The deep ball to Diggs and the TD to Thielen at the end of the 4th. House got beat, yes but Brice was at fault. He was looking to the middle and right side of the field and moved up to help out on another route that he shouldn't have. That left the deep ball wide open. If he does his job that ball is knocked away or picked. The Thielen TD was a combo of Alexander and Brice's fault. Alexander had perfect position but did not look up at the ball. Could have been a pick or knocked away. Brice played the ball perfectly but let it go right through his hands. More Brice's fault because it would have been a tough play for Alexander. We need a safety! The D actually played pretty damn well except for those two plays and the overtime. Cousins was really good yesterday. He was very accurate and made some really good throws even when they were covered. If not for the stupid Clay call, Cousins would have had 3 tds 2 ints and about 280 yards passing. Not that great considered how well he was throwing the ball.

This is just my take. Yes, we made some mistakes but we did win that ball game. I do not complain about referees at all normally but wow that game was bad. I am optimistic about this team. I think if we stay healthy Graham and AR will get even a better connection and this D could be pretty solid later in the year. Besides safety. :)

I know. I have green and gold colored glasses. ggg(ggg(
Fortunately we have that "Aaron Rodgers narrative." Green Bay has a ton of fans everywhere, and they merchandise well. That favors us in the playoffs.

Even so, I'd prefer authentic competition. It is upon US as fans to demand authenticity. Ratings are down, and while politics plays a part in that, this type of bullshit is also a large part. The league is listening AND reading these forums. It's on us to call out the bullshit.

Goes back to Bill Belichick's idea - give coaches two challenges with the chance for a third, and make any three plays reviewable. Simple, elegant, fair. NFL will never go for it because they cannot stand to have refs judgements challenged.
Wouldn't matter. My wife and I were at the Fail Mary game in Seattle. They had the booth review that last HIDEOUS call and they upheld it. The NFL is a multi billion dollar game and they are going to try and sell this crap as legit no matter what.

They're actually acting like they're proud and going to send the Matthews call as a how-to-call-it tape??? Goodell has ruined this game, imo. I'm done with it.

I want my $700 back for the weekend in Seattle a few years back as well, Roger. What a ridiculous load of poorly sold garbage this league has become...

I don’t blame your anger Wolfman. Goodells’s NFL hates and has nothing but contempt for fans. “You want hard hitting football? F$&@ you, watch this crap and give us your money and attention. Never forget that we hate you.”

Thielen TD was a combo of Alexander and Brice's fault. Alexander had perfect position but did not look up at the ball. Could have been a pick or knocked away. Brice played the ball perfectly but let it go right through his hands

Aaaaarrrrrrgh....

In real time I saw that and couldn't beleive Brice didn't get that ball. And I've now seen the replay a dozen times and I have no idea what he was doing. He probably started thinking, didn't want to hit JA.

But if he keeps running (or does what he did and actually extend that arm) he prevents the game tying TD. What a moron.

I know what my db coach would say if I put that on my film, and I would have been internally flipping out at my HS kids while trying to tell them what they did wrong

Aaaaarrrrrrgh....

In real time I saw that and couldn't beleive Brice didn't get that ball. And I've now seen the replay a dozen times and I have no idea what he was doing. He probably started thinking, didn't want to hit JA.

But if he keeps running (or does what he did and actually extend that arm) he prevents the game tying TD. What a moron.

I know what my db coach would say if I put that on my film, and I would have been internally flipping out at my HS kids while trying to tell them what they did wrong
Wrong coverage again same as last year..... Corners playing one coverage the safeties are in another.

Wrong coverage again same as last year..... Corners playing one coverage the safeties are in another.

Which brings up an interesting point. It appears this year's defense may not be any better, or even as good as, last year's. I say this only because of issues like this, where the defenders are not on the same page. Then I think about Brice, with limited experience, and Alexander, a rookie, and see where they could have botched it simply because of a mistaken read.

In the end, where does the blame lay for the errors? Is it correctable, and can we get a consistent push on the D-line, with the personnel we have? If not, this could be a long season.

Serious question - if the coverage they were in allowed the S to be in perfect position to intercept or knock down the pass, how was it wrong?

Back