Post Game Thread Bears upset Packers 17-13

Ugly night in GB. Favre and Starr were great at half.

The Packers are a slightly above average team. There are 2 or 3 solid teams, a huge pack of OK teams, and a few bad teams. Green Bay will finish over .500 but right now they are not doing anything to distinguish themselves.

They better not get swept by the Lions.csr(

Here's a news flash... Nothing will be fixed! Players won't be benched!

They have a static routine in GB that's been in place since McCarthy has been here.

As soon as the season ends, McCarthy, the OC & DC all review game footage from the past season. They give their player reviews to TT. Then, TT goes on the hunt for players or try to chisel the player's contract down.
In the mean time, McCarthy, the OC & DC then view game footage of opponents as soon as they area announced. They make a decision on a game plan for those teams, including plays, down and distance, coaching trends, qb trends etc...

They do this for each team and compile a playbook complete with base packages, hybrid packages, twists, base plays and those that are specific to particular teams.

They get past the draft and start installing the playbook into the team during mini-camps, while beginning to shake out the roster for the best players.

By the time training camp begins, the playbook has been fully installed. By the end of camp, the players have been sorted out and the roster has been set.

By the start of the regular season, there are no more competitions for positions. They are all fully focused on three game plans at all times. The game plan for the upcoming game. A partial game plan for the game two weeks out, and introducing parts of the game plan for the game three weeks out. This goes on all season.

With the system statically in place, now understand the meeting & practice schedules are also static. Structure is extreme. The only room for fixing timing and chemistry is when players take it upon themselves to come in early and work on what they think will help.

Before the Vikes game, Rodgers & receivers came in early all week to work out issues. But Packer practice & what they do every week was not adjusted to fix issues. Meet to review game footage, point out the issues, count on the professionals to fix issues on their own.

Move to footage on next opponent and attend meeting to discuss the game plan. Practice game plays for upcoming games, and some of the next two.

It's cyclical and static.

My point is that McCarthy, Clemons and Capers can't make adjustments because their season is cast in stone.

If they made bad game plans, there is no fixing it. They can't make many, if any changes because the players are not ready for it. The players do not have every play in a giant playbook memorized. Only the current game and two games after.

Makes it nearly impossible to make adjustments. If they do, it likely will take two weeks to begin changes and introducing them for the third game down the line. But then, if the changes didn't work? Try again. Not long before the season has eroded.

THAT is the structure of the Green Bay Packers. That is why they are inflexible. That is why once the season starts, the team has to play out the season as it is structured... good or bad, the season simply plays out.

The only things left to chance is injury and player execution.

But, all that structure negates flexibility. And none of this even touches on the GM's job or position coaches.

And I believe that is why McCarthy has those dumbfounded looks on his face. He (and the OC & DC) failed their homework! These game plans and plays were supposed to work!

But they don't. They can't make changes now. Their screwed! They know it and feel powerless to change it. They are victims of their own efficiency!

They can make quick changes and adjustments, but, that is excessive work and totally upsets the routine. They could lose their balance and go out of control.

Just frustrating to watch week after week

Woke up this morning still in shock we laid an egg against the Bears on Favre inductee night. This team right now lacks any chemistry.

I'll fully eat crow on this one. I wrongly believed that emotion would take this flawed team above their norm for one night. So much for that. This team loves to get pantsd on national TV.

We had 177 yards rushing tonight
R you know he had a valid point. You don't just stop running the ball when your getting 5-7 yards a carry. Could have had 300 last night if they stuck to it.

Here's a news flash... Nothing will be fixed! Players won't be benched!

They have a static routine in GB that's been in place since McCarthy has been here.

As soon as the season ends, McCarthy, the OC & DC all review game footage from the past season. They give their player reviews to TT. Then, TT goes on the hunt for players or try to chisel the player's contract down.
In the mean time, McCarthy, the OC & DC then view game footage of opponents as soon as they area announced. They make a decision on a game plan for those teams, including plays, down and distance, coaching trends, qb trends etc...

They do this for each team and compile a playbook complete with base packages, hybrid packages, twists, base plays and those that are specific to particular teams.

They get past the draft and start installing the playbook into the team during mini-camps, while beginning to shake out the roster for the best players.

By the time training camp begins, the playbook has been fully installed. By the end of camp, the players have been sorted out and the roster has been set.

By the start of the regular season, there are no more competitions for positions. They are all fully focused on three game plans at all times. The game plan for the upcoming game. A partial game plan for the game two weeks out, and introducing parts of the game plan for the game three weeks out. This goes on all season.

With the system statically in place, now understand the meeting & practice schedules are also static. Structure is extreme. The only room for fixing timing and chemistry is when players take it upon themselves to come in early and work on what they think will help.

Before the Vikes game, Rodgers & receivers came in early all week to work out issues. But Packer practice & what they do every week was not adjusted to fix issues. Meet to review game footage, point out the issues, count on the professionals to fix issues on their own.

Move to footage on next opponent and attend meeting to discuss the game plan. Practice game plays for upcoming games, and some of the next two.

It's cyclical and static.

My point is that McCarthy, Clemons and Capers can't make adjustments because their season is cast in stone.

If they made bad game plans, there is no fixing it. They can't make many, if any changes because the players are not ready for it. The players do not have every play in a giant playbook memorized. Only the current game and two games after.

Makes it nearly impossible to make adjustments. If they do, it likely will take two weeks to begin changes and introducing them for the third game down the line. But then, if the changes didn't work? Try again. Not long before the season has eroded.

THAT is the structure of the Green Bay Packers. That is why they are inflexible. That is why once the season starts, the team has to play out the season as it is structured... good or bad, the season simply plays out.

The only things left to chance is injury and player execution.

But, all that structure negates flexibility. And none of this even touches on the GM's job or position coaches.

And I believe that is why McCarthy has those dumbfounded looks on his face. He (and the OC & DC) failed their homework! These game plans and plays were supposed to work!

But they don't. They can't make changes now. Their screwed! They know it and feel powerless to change it. They are victims of their own efficiency!

They can make quick changes and adjustments, but, that is excessive work and totally upsets the routine. They could lose their balance and go out of control.

Just frustrating to watch week after week
Great post ! It would explain a bunch.

I'm starting to think I'd have a realistic shot at playing WR in this league instead of DB, or at least WR in this division. For another team.

I'm pretty good at running wide open around the middle of the field.

I would like to mention something. Our defense has actually played pretty good over the last three games. It seems frustrating because teams convert so many 3rd and tens on us. Last night CB Rollins actually had his hands on the ball three times and couldn't corral it, two missed interceptions and the fumble Cutler out fought him for. Otherwise they've surrendered 18,13 and 17 points in the last three games. They've been put in some bad situations from turnovers and special team gaffs. Sorry, just looking for some kind of silver lining.

I agree, Dubz.

We cannot complain too much about the defense. They actually have played well all year except a few games. At least that side of the ball plays with some emotion and passion.

At this point anyone talking about the post season is just unrealistic. It's obvious that the offense is off and although they may get it together for a game, it's not going anywhere. There is no enthusiasm or emotion on the offensive side of the board. It's also obvious that the coaches don't know what the problem is.
Part of the problem is the injuries and another is the depth is not good.
The defense kept us in the game but the offense did not show up again.
We have Detroit next week and they are improving while we are not. Don't really have answer, so I will just watch the games with no expectations and wait for the season to be over. Even if they limped into the play-offs we don't have "it" to go anywhere.

To bad. I was really excited about the team until all the injuries started.

Back