Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something about the structure had to be much different. Pack brought up the “cash out” aspect of these deals back in 2018 when GB couldn’t swing the deal for Mack - they already sent a boatload of cash out the door that month for Rodgers, would have to do the same for Mack - and it’s one of the prisms through which I view deals now. Now in 2022, then sent a ton of new money to Rodgers already, they’re giving new money to Campbell and Smith and maybe Douglas; they’re also preparing to throw a boatload of new money at Alexander. I just can’t see it being possible to put that Adams deal in there as well.

Two things about yesterday.

The fact that AR knew this was likely is interesting. His freind and favorite receiver decides to move on but he signs a deal anyway. Kind of surprising. I'd have thought that would make him want to move on as well. Not completely sure what to make of that.

If the Packers offered Adams the same money, it's still not the same since Nevada does not have a personal state income tax, so net money is still more. Not sure how much it plays into it, but have always suspected that the Packers need to overpay for guys partly because GB isn't exactly the most desirable location and partly the taxes.

Something about the structure had to be much different. Pack brought up the “cash out” aspect of these deals back in 2018 when GB couldn’t swing the deal for Mack - they already sent a boatload of cash out the door that month for Rodgers, would have to do the same for Mack - and it’s one of the prisms through which I view deals now. Now in 2022, then sent a ton of new money to Rodgers already, they’re giving new money to Campbell and Smith and maybe Douglas; they’re also preparing to throw a boatload of new money at Alexander. I just can’t see it being possible to put that Adams deal in there as well.
And let’s remember technically they paid out cash to Rodgers both in august and now so that also adds to the tab. Also some of these restructured deals were converted from base to SB so more cash out.

This for decades has been a very conservative organization, cash out = cap to allow flexibility. This was the perfect storm, Rodgers , Bak, Adams, Alexander and Clark all due in a cycle of 24 months. This is not defending anyone but that’s not an easy balancing act

I talked about this scenario (how to get the most from Adams and Rodgers to best move forward without them) a couple months ago in this thread. Steps:
  1. Restructure Rodgers for a more 2022 cap-friendly deal;
  2. Slap a non-exclusive franchise tag on Adams. This allows Adams to seek out offers from other teams with the tag condition that the new team (Raiders) owes two 1st round draft picks to the original team (Packers), and that the original team can match the offer (Adams stays with Packers) or decline (Adams goes with Raiders and Packers get two first round picks from Raiders for Adams.);
  3. Restructure player contracts and let go players as appropriate to get under max team salary by 3/16/2022;
  4. The Packers now have the option of matching the offer from the new team. In this case the Packers used the franchise tag so that they could trade him. If they let him become an unrestricted free agent Packers would not have been able to get anything for him. I doubt the Raiders were willing to give up two first-round picks for him under the non-exclusive franchise tag scenario. So the Packers outright traded him. Also apparently the Packers more than matched the Raiders offer which would have forced Adams to stay under the non-franchise tag and an unhappy Adams would still be with the Packers for another year. But I think it was done to show Adams, "Hey, if you want to stay, we want you. I believe this was an outstanding move by the Packers in this situation. And that all interested parties were well aware of this happening.
  5. I did have a Step 5 in my scenario. Packers now trade Rodgers to the team Adams went to for their QB/picks. I might be wrong here. sh))

The report from the GB folks was it was the same $$ not more, please stop using NFL network and ESPN for sources, they haven't been right about anything in GB for at least 3 years.
To be fair it was confirmed by his agents. Again “more money” is semantics. Was it guaranteed at signing money ? Was if total APY? Agents can and will be very coy on negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back