Ron Roenicke Fired

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Brewers have released Roenike from managerial duties earlier this evening.

Official replacement hasn't been named, but what I've heard says Craig Counsell will be the new skipper on Monday morning.

Ron Roenicke just saw the Crew win back to back games for the first time this season, and has the team off to a 7-18 start, tied for 2nd worst club record after 25 games.

ESPN Milwaukee has reported that Fox Sports insider Ken Rosenthal broke the story that Craig Counsel to be named new Brewers manager.

Dear lord. I can understand canning Roenicke. He should have been fired last October. But why Counsel?? sh))

It's not gonna matter who your manager is. If the FO can't get better overall talent and develop better prospects on the farm they aren't going anywhere.

And the ceiling is pretty low anyway because MIL will never have enough $$ to really compete...

The problem is not the manager or GM or even ownership. Is revenue. Milwaukee is $70 in revenue less than STL I knee many want MKE to be like them but it's not happening. MLB is not a draft abd develop league. For small market teams it's about catching lightning in a bottle for 2-3 years then start over.

Other problem is we have $$$ tied into a very average player in Braun. It's going to hold this franchise back for years

Now fire Melvin. He is inept.

Roenicke needed to go, but I don't get the timing. This team in not getting back in the race. They need to wheel and deal and rebuild. Why saddle Counsel with this. Let Roenicke manage while you gut the team in June/July. This year is a lost cause anyway. No reason to have Counsel's name attached to this miserable season. Should have left Roenicke in place for now, fire him in Aug. Let Sedar take over until the end and then announce Counsel in the off-season if that's the way you want to go.

Good point on timing 57. Was odd but my sense is that there were some internal clubhouse issues dating back to last year and rose up again this spring.

Thing is there is no quick fix. Brauns contract which looked brilliant a few years ago will set this team back. They are basically stck till after 2020. This team is abd always will be revenue strapped. It's the reality of it.

I'll never understand why Roenicke wasn't fired after last season's disastrous collapse tbh. I just hope Counsell can get the guys to play fundamentally sound baseball for a change.

If and hopefully when Melvin is fired a new GM won't have any loyalty to Counsell though a new GM would probably give him all of next year before he would let him go.

Back