Silverstein: Packers' loyalty to Brett Hundley misguided

Brett Hundley was who he showed on tape for 3 years at UCLA. Today we give credit to Packinatl because he called it from day 1. MM thought he found another Aaron Brooks whom he claims to have brought up in New Orleans. Keep in mind it was Green bay( Ron Wolf) who drafted Brooks NOT NO or MM. A fact that seems to get left out of that story.

Point being I am not 100 % sure MM is the QB guru he's made out to be. Keep in mind he drafted Alex Smith over Rodgers in SF before coming to GB.

Hundley dropped for a reason in his draft class. Now we know for certain why.

I am 110% sure MM is not the qb guru some think. He has a horrid track record with anyone not named Rogers.

I've never believed McCarthy is a QB guru. The track record pretty much proves it. None of the guys they've brought in have amounted to much other than a leaky back up for teams. Just comparing his and Thompson's time in GB to that of Wolf and Holmgren tells the story I see. No comparison. We also need to remember that Rodgers was drafted prior to McCarthy becoming head coach.

As far as what Rodgers learned from McCarthy, I believe it was more from assistant coaches who understood playing QB, not McCarthy. We have to remember that both Thompson and McCarthy were looking to trade Rodgers to the Raiders in 2008(?), for Randy Moss, so I'm not convinced they had a clue as to how good he really was.

Like Mark stated, the fact that McCarthy was in on drafting Alex Smith in San Francisco, stating he was by far the better QB, should go a long way telling us exactly how brilliant he is when it comes to finding top QBs.

But it's not being called a new or different injury. From what I've read and heard, they just put him back on IR with the same collarbone injury. There was no claim by the Packers that he re-injured it. Is that not correct?

And this is what I was alluding to in another thread. I wasn't sure how IR worked but it seemed a little fishy to me and not within the spirit of what IR is there for.

...It's up to Murphy to make the right moves now, and if he can't pull the trigger, it's time for him to hit the road too. We cannot watch this team deteriorate through ignorance.

murphy's too busy building hotels, medical clinics and sledding hills to be bothered with football stuff.

I'm no fan of the current staff right now but sometimes it seems like piling on when things go bad, me included.

- I think MM is a good QB coach. A "guru", I'm not so sure about. I think he should get some credit for turning Ahmad Brooks into a better QB. I think he should get some credit for reigning in Brett during the end of his time here. I think he did help make a guy who looked a little lost when he first got here into one of the best of all time. Sure much/most of this is due to the players, but you can't completely cut MM out of the process. As for Alex Smith and AR, well, there was a GM and HC who were part of the decision. MM as the OC was probably consulted but is likely not the guy making the call.

- I think MM is a stubborn HC/OC with a questionable system. I think he needs someone around him to call him on some of the crap he does and get in his ear when he loses focus. Problem is, he's probably to the point where he won't listen to anyone else. I think Philbin used to be that guy. There is nobody like that on the staff right now. MM needs to move on and take a break from football for a year or two.

- While I think the whole group needs to go, I'm OK with the purging of the defense if that is all that happens this year. Capers needs to go. We can go back and forth about crappy players and TT's drafting but other than a few real turds like Thornton, he's drafted a bunch of guys early for Capers and the coaches have gotten no nearly enough out of them. The vast majority were drafted by Ted in the rounds where they were supposed to be drafted. It's not like all of them were reaches. Has he drafted some square pegs, yes, but good coaches would be able to adjust what they do enough to get something out of them. TT is surely part of the problem, but the more I see, the more I realize that Capers and his assistants are just not coaching these guys to be their best. Time for new voices on defense.

- While I think the whole group needs to go, I'm OK with the purging of the defense if that is all that happens this year. Capers needs to go. We can go back and forth about crappy players and TT's drafting but other than a few real turds like Thornton, he's drafted a bunch of guys early for Capers and the coaches have gotten no nearly enough out of them. The vast majority were drafted by Ted in the rounds where they were supposed to be drafted. It's not like all of them were reaches. Has he drafted some square pegs, yes, but good coaches would be able to adjust what they do enough to get something out of them. TT is surely part of the problem, but the more I see, the more I realize that Capers and his assistants are just not coaching these guys to be their best. Time for new voices on defense.

totally agree with this.

I've never believed McCarthy is a QB guru. The track record pretty much proves it. None of the guys they've brought in have amounted to much other than a leaky back up for teams. Just comparing his and Thompson's time in GB to that of Wolf and Holmgren tells the story I see. No comparison. We also need to remember that Rodgers was drafted prior to McCarthy becoming head coach.

As far as what Rodgers learned from McCarthy, I believe it was more from assistant coaches who understood playing QB, not McCarthy. We have to remember that both Thompson and McCarthy were looking to trade Rodgers to the Raiders in 2008(?), for Randy Moss, so I'm not convinced they had a clue as to how good he really was.

Like Mark stated, the fact that McCarthy was in on drafting Alex Smith in San Francisco, stating he was by far the better QB, should go a long way telling us exactly how brilliant he is when it comes to finding top QBs.

I'm not picking on you TW, but sometimes this bandwagon starts rolling downhill and people start rewriting or omitting things so their own narrative is supported. 1- Fair comparison to Wolf/Holmgren, but....remember that Holmgren was a hair away from benching Favre in favor of Brunell. 2- MM is credited with reining in Favre which helped prolong Brett's career towards the end. 3- Nobody really knew what we had in Rodgers yet in 2008. 4- Yes, MM was OC in SF when they took Alex Smith #1, but he was not the GM or HC. I'm sorry, but I'm a huge fan of the draft so I remember this clearly, San Fran defended their pick of Smith over Rodgers because Smith was the superior runner at that time. Aaron wasn't known for the athlete he later developed into. They said it was close, but they felt Smith had better legs. They never said Smith was by far a better QB. They allegedly hadn't made up their mind until a few days before that draft, but it's the draft and I don't know how much faith you can put into anything they claim.

My point is that Hundley is just too inaccurate and they were unable to fix that. He had good mobility, good arm, but he just can't hit anything over 15 yards downfield. Makes me sad because I was excited when they took him, thought they could coach him up, just didn't work out. MM is not a guru. Hundley was a round 5 pick. Would like to see us make a little better investment a little earlier in the draft.

Reactions: TW
Dubz - I can't argue with anything you said, except what I recall from the draft, when the 49ers took Smith, and indicated that they believed Rodgers lacked the arm strength and mobility that Smith had. In fact, that statement, along with the views of a lot of people was that Rodgers wasn't as good. He dropped to the Packers, and regardless of what anyone indicates, the Wolf/Holmgren tandem did know how to find good QBs. Look at the cadre that ran through GB.

At the time the Packers took Rodgers, they pretty much indicated that he was the heir apparent to Favre, and that's exactly why they picked him in the first round. You don't pick back ups in the 1st round.

Of course the media surrounding football has a tendency to "write their own story," and that's kind of what happened with Rodgers. The arm strength, mobility, all issues, yet, if you looked at his play from HS through college, he had decent wheels, and could throw the ball on the move. That's why I thought from day one that he would be Favre's replacement, because the things I saw wrong (I did miss a couple of them), was all coachable. All too often, the media gets on the band wagon of running QBs because they're "different." We saw that for years in the NFL, and it's why guys who have failed miserably keep getting the call in the first round, and flunk the test, on the field.

The issue surrounding the benching of Favre, in favor of Brunell was more of a "threat" to get him in line, to do what he was supposed to on the field. He was a loose cannon, and in all honesty, never did change. That's why we lost some games we really should have won. He thought he was Superman. If he had benched him, it would have been one game, maybe two, and a different Favre with a new attitude, might have stepped up. You're never too good, nor too important, that if you don't do what's best for the team. Sadly enough, Holmgren eventually let him get away with way too much.

My problem with Hundley is that he had absolutely no field vision in college. He was not a good passer, he was good in the short game, and a great runner. That's what the Packers saw. Mobility. They should have looked at the whole package, related to the Packer offense, not get a big head thinking they could teach field smarts. It don't happen. It's instincts.

The 49ers chose Smith based on one year of solid work at a school that played half their schedule against teams that were pretty weak to be honest. New Mexico, Wyoming, Air Force, and Nevada-Las Vegas as an example. His competition level wasn't there. He did get good press from his two bowl wins against Pittsburgh and Southern Mississippi, but neither were powerhouse teams. Rodgers, on the other hand, played better teams throughout his two years in D1.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, but to be honest, I just never saw Hundley as the guy to back Rodgers. I didn't feel he had the vision to play the position. On the Smith vs Rodgers issue, I always felt Rodgers was better, and laughed when I saw the 9ers pass on him. I told my son, who was watching with me; "They'll be sorry for this one. This guy has played against crappy teams, Rodgers didn't."

Anyhow, that's my take on it all. Like I said, I don't really disagree with you. We see the same things, and mostly about the same.

Back