Talking Football: observations AR, MM vs NFL

Terranimal

Reaction score
Catching all the talk I can about NFL national talk shows, local, former coaches and players. These are my summations.

Rodgers:

Time to quit making excuses for him. Speaking on myself here. With eyes open and of course from how other QBs are playing and things said, it got me thinking.

Mark highlighted a play where AR missed an open player in the flat and threw incomplete down the field. Don't think it's a matter of going for the big yardage over a 5-10 yard one. His O Line has been porous, everyone outside of Adams has had the dropsies so there's that for excuses.

However, great QBs make average players look good and good players look great. Favre did this for years. Breed is doing it now as all 4 WRs are undrafted free agents.

Rodgers needs a reboot. Favre concentrated on one WR in beginning of his career and later would throw to 8 different ones in a game I remember. Rodgers is going opposite direction, as he's always looking for Adams. He needs to do like other greats and help these guys know where they are suppose to be and start building their confidence.

Was just critical on Rodgers and rightfully so as he does share some of the blame but we all know the real culprit here is McCarthy. As leader of this team and Offense it's job to give the players he does have a chance to be successful, to make adjustments, and adapt his system when it becomes stale and predictable.

Coaches like Reid, Payton, McVeigh and others have evolved and if they see something working they try it.

This isn't the dominant Lombardi era where he dared teams to stop the sweep. And even Lombardi didn't always run the ball. In McCarthy's case it's opposite as he stays with same plays and ignores his run game. League wise the amount of motion plays to slow down defenses is around 38% and has been going up over last 5 years.

McCarthy said last season's end he was going to revaluate his Offense and change things. To me don't see it. Defenses seem at times to know what is coming still. Just changing cadences doesn't do it or fool anyone. When announcers can tell whether it's a run or pass by where the TE ends up, so can a DC on watching film and having his players ready.

It's my opinion that McCarthy has turned into Sherman 2.0 and regardless how the season ends, needs to go. He has seemed to be too stubborn in his ways and play calling. The rift and losing respect of his QB and not holding him accountable is his job. Players not being ready to play when he first got here said his asst coaches were also good coaches and clearly aren't when players stepping in aren't ready and players cut because they were deemed not good enough are starters and back ups on other teams.

When the negatives out weigh the positives the it's time to make the change

Rodgers is going opposite direction, as he's always looking for Adams

Didn't he have an interview a few weeks ago where he said Adams needs to get the ball more and maybe he should just get him 30 targets a game?

There seems to be a circular firing squad in GB... Everyone saying it's not me. MM routinely blames execution (i.e. it's not the plan it's the players) Arod has been passive aggressive about the game plan (i.e. it's not me it's the game plan)..

And also you notice a deafening silence from the vets about turning this around. Nobody seems to be upset about it. Just a sort of ya it sucks ... The people who were vocsl aren't here anymore so I guess that might be why?

It’s multiple issues:

I don’t sense Rodgers is engaged mentally as in the past. Is it McCarthy? Danica? Both? He rents in GB now, not a year round guy anymore. Body language is not good. And that overthrow to 17 was not even close

McCarthy has not been the same since his brother passed. Maybe football is not as important as in the past and life beyond football is? I am in the minority in that he does he does not go to Cleveland. He sits out 1-2 years.

Talent: I’ll use a college analogy. It’s like 3 - 4 bad recruiting classes in a row. Plus the core, Cobb, Nelson, Matthews got old and there was not talent behind them

Organization: Conservative to the core. Did we really go hard for Mack? I have my doubts. The only way I extend Rodgers this year is that you are convinced the core you have now can win now or 1-2 years. I know hindsight is 20/20 but they should have let it play out at least this year.

It’s multiple issues:

I don’t sense Rodgers is engaged mentally as in the past. Is it McCarthy? Danica? Both? He rents in GB now, not a year round guy anymore. Body language is not good. And that overthrow to 17 was not even close

McCarthy has not been the same since his brother passed. Maybe football is not as important as in the past and life beyond football is? I am in the minority in that he does he does not go to Cleveland. He sits out 1-2 years.

Talent: I’ll use a college analogy. It’s like 3 - 4 bad recruiting classes in a row. Plus the core, Cobb, Nelson, Matthews got old and there was not talent behind them

Organization: Conservative to the core. Did we really go hard for Mack? I have my doubts. The only way I extend Rodgers this year is that you are convinced the core you have now can win now or 1-2 years. I know hindsight is 20/20 but they should have let it play out at least this year.

Think maybe with Mack maybe just maybe it came down to the question are we a couple of players away to make it to the SB or do we need those picks and cap room to sign some players?

At least I would like to think this was more the reason then too tight of purse strings.

Either way it is a different day then when signed White and then other free agents wanted to play with White and Favre as they bought in that both gave them a chance at a ring.

Back