The Kickers

Those were the days. Lou "The Toe" Groza, O-lineman. No toes on kicking foot. His shoe was flat across the front like a rectangular shaped mallet. Some teams wanted it outlawed but the league wouldn't do it. Kind of a cross between; "The guy ain't got no toes! Give it a break!," and "He ain't that good anyhow!"

The fact is, he was a 55% kicker, but they let him kick because he was a solid lineman, and it saved a roster spot.

Though give Crosby credit outside of the NE and Indy kicker he is the 3rd longest tenured kicker with his current team in the NFL.

Reactions: TW
I like Crosby because he's been dependable. One bad year shouldn't define his career. He's been steady for the most part, and money when it came to the big kicks. Also, one of his friends works for one of my sons, so there's a lot of interesting conversations that come up.

I like Crosby because he's been dependable. One bad year shouldn't define his career. He's been steady for the most part, and money when it came to the big kicks. Also, one of his friends works for one of my sons, so there's a lot of interesting conversations that come up.

Kickers tend to fall off a cliff though. Even the good ones. Best to be ahead of that than behind. There have been a few exceptions of course.

It's all a matter of self-confidence. Over half the success of kickers comes between their ears, not off their foot. The good ones see the kick, and go over it in their minds, before the ball is even snapped. Lose that level of confidence and you lose your concentration.

Back