The New NFL??

Terranimal

Reaction score
What a wild off season. We have seen lots of player moves and record setting contracts.

While that in itself is nothing new, what is what Elite WRs are now getting paid. It used to be the priority in order was franchise QB, LT to protect him, pass rusher, and Shut Down Corner. But with what those Elite WRs got is the new trend.

Seeing star players traded is another new trend. Saw this with Elite WRs like Adams and the Cheetah traded from teams where the Franchise QBs command a big share of the cap pie to either teams with QB on a rookie deal or starting vet has a low cap number like Carr does.

Will be interesting to see moving ahead what and how Buffalo does after paying Diggs and Allen last year.

Another possible and disturbing trend is the Watson trade and signing to a NBA type contract w having a fully guaranteed contract money.

The other new possible NFL trend is what am calling the Rams model of trading away draft capital and going all in for a short 2-4 year run at getting to and winning the Super Bowl w veteran players for the short term and jeopardizing the long term of the franchise verses the draft and develop ways.

Imo I still believe the model that works is the one the Pats had during the Brady era. That is drafting and signing cheaper free agents or rolling the dice on players given a second chance.

Of course currently we have two things against us for that. One is Green Bay is a small city and can't change that. The second is while Rodgers is considered one of the best QBs, he hasn't got back to the Super Bowl and prove in Big Games he plays big and comes through, unlike Brady who is considered clutch in the games.

What a wild off season. We have seen lots of player moves and record setting contracts.

While that in itself is nothing new, what is what Elite WRs are now getting paid. It used to be the priority in order was franchise QB, LT to protect him, pass rusher, and Shut Down Corner. But with what those Elite WRs got is the new trend.

Seeing star players traded is another new trend. Saw this with Elite WRs like Adams and the Cheetah traded from teams where the Franchise QBs command a big share of the cap pie to either teams with QB on a rookie deal or starting vet has a low cap number like Carr does.

Will be interesting to see moving ahead what and how Buffalo does after paying Diggs and Allen last year.

Another possible and disturbing trend is the Watson trade and signing to a NBA type contract w having a fully guaranteed contract money.

The other new possible NFL trend is what am calling the Rams model of trading away draft capital and going all in for a short 2-4 year run at getting to and winning the Super Bowl w veteran players for the short term and jeopardizing the long term of the franchise verses the draft and develop ways.

Imo I still believe the model that works is the one the Pats had during the Brady era. That is drafting and signing cheaper free agents or rolling the dice on players given a second chance.

Of course currently we have two things against us for that. One is Green Bay is a small city and can't change that. The second is while Rodgers is considered one of the best QBs, he hasn't got back to the Super Bowl and prove in Big Games he plays big and comes through, unlike Brady who is considered clutch in the games.
This narrative that GB is a small market team is a myth. A myth from a financial perspective. Each NFL team gets $400m+ from the NFL via shared revenue to create competitive balance and parity. Now how you spend it and structure contracts is another discussion. Teams for decades have kicked the can down the road in order to create short term cap space with longer term financial pain. Now this organization does it. Yes it’s the price of success. Now GB has its challenges as Mark has eloquently said “Wisconsin is an acquired taste” and it’s not for everyone.

As to what model works who knows. Look how many teams have made 3 or more SB appearances in the last 20-25 years. I can count them on one hand and one is GB. The others are Pittsburgh , Denver and NE and 2 of those have had some recent rough years. NE is an outlier and I doubt any organization will match its success in our lifetime.

As to contracts it is and always will come down to structure. Sure QB’s will argue for the Watson model but how many get it? Hardly all and the bad QB pool will also dictate that. The other gorilla in the room is the cap. The league is a money printing machine and that’s not stopping anytime soon. The cap will significantly increase in the next 2-5 years and create more contracts that set the bar. It’s a business. It will come down to how organizations manage structure and cash flow.

Thank you for listening to my TED Talk

This narrative that GB is a small market team is a myth. A myth from a financial perspective. Each NFL team gets $400m+ from the NFL via shared revenue to create competitive balance and parity. Now how you spend it and structure contracts is another discussion. Teams for decades have kicked the can down the road in order to create short term cap space with longer term financial pain. Now this organization does it. Yes it’s the price of success. Now GB has its challenges as Mark has eloquently said “Wisconsin is an acquired taste” and it’s not for everyone.

As to what model works who knows. Look how many teams have made 3 or more SB appearances in the last 20-25 years. I can count them on one hand and one is GB. The others are Pittsburgh , Denver and NE and 2 of those have had some recent rough years. NE is an outlier and I doubt any organization will match its success in our lifetime.

As to contracts it is and always will come down to structure. Sure QB’s will argue for the Watson model but how many get it? Hardly all and the bad QB pool will also dictate that. The other gorilla in the room is the cap. The league is a money printing machine and that’s not stopping anytime soon. The cap will significantly increase in the next 2-5 years and create more contracts that set the bar. It’s a business. It will come down to how organizations manage structure and cash flow.

Thank you for listening to my TED Talk
Agree the biggest issue in GB is it's a small cowpoke town. Very little to do esp if you are a person of color as there is likely even less that will fit into a young twenty something lifestyle. You will have to overpay a FA to come to GB because they will have little to do besides hang out with all the other players.

Just like each era has adapted before, so to will happen in the future. The FO money men will become adept at managing the contracts and, as many already know, it's a copycat league. It's going to be fun and interesting to watch how the cap is handled through the contractual terms.

Just like each era has adapted before, so to will happen in the future. The FO money men will become adept at managing the contracts and, as many already know, it's a copycat league. It's going to be fun and interesting to watch how the cap is handled through the contractual terms.
The 30,000 gorilla in the room is the guaranteed contracts. Yeah I think QB’s obviously have a case there based on the Watson deal but how deep does that go? The pool is so bad do you gamble and hope one falls or do you get the “Cousins Contract” that ties your hands. Now the WR deals might get tied to the QB deals. Does Diggs or Adams put up those numbers with say Darnold at QB? Doubtful. That’s the tricky part

The 30,000 gorilla in the room is the guaranteed contracts. Yeah I think QB’s obviously have a case there based on the Watson deal but how deep does that go? The pool is so bad do you gamble and hope one falls or do you get the “Cousins Contract” that ties your hands. Now the WR deals might get tied to the QB deals. Does Diggs or Adams put up those numbers with say Darnold at QB? Doubtful. That’s the tricky part
Will slowy see guaranted deals become norm. Elite QBs will get them more and more. At some point other players will get them. Will be years though before it becomes common place.

Will slowy see guaranted deals become norm. Elite QBs will get them more and more. At some point other players will get them. Will be years though before it becomes common place.
I would agree on “elite “ QB’s but other players i don’t see as common place. The cap will not allow for it to become the norm, yes some will get paid but it’s the norm no

I would agree on “elite “ QB’s but other players i don’t see as common place. The cap will not allow for it to become the norm, yes some will get paid but it’s the norm no
Elite players at all top spots will likely see it at some point talking about maybe top 3

Elite players at all top spots will likely see it at some point talking about maybe top 3
But all teams don’t value every position as elite for one and injury risk by position will factor in. A center or guard is most likely not going to see anything full guarantee, same with DL unless they can pressure the QB. I cannot see the top 3 at each position getting that payday

But all teams don’t value every position as elite for one and injury risk by position will factor in. A center or guard is most likely not going to see anything full guarantee, same with DL unless they can pressure the QB. I cannot see the top 3 at each position getting that payday
All depends I can see a LT getting a deal like that or if you have a all pro every year guy like Aaron Donald. It won't happen a lot but it will happen more as more and more guys get it teams that are desperate to sign a top player will give the agent what he wants to get the deal done.

Back