The "position and "players" we need to draft in 2020 Thread.

OT - If Bulaga stays healthy and keeps playing at the level he has been it's not beyond belief that he might get an extension in GB. Before the season, I would not have said that. But so far, his performance speaks for itself. If they do decide to try and extend him, my guess would be the Packers would structure it in such a way that they could walk away from him after year two with minimal cap damage (that's my way of saying they would fully guarantee the first two years of a 3 or 4 year extension).
If Gute does make a play to keep Bulaga, then OT might not be the top priority in the 2020 draft. I'm liking players like Terrance Steele (Texas-Tech) who can start their career as a swing OT. With 36" arms, he may be better suited for L-OT, so that may be where he eventually lands depending on what the future holds for D-Bak with his next contract extension. Drafting a player like a Terrance Steele would mean that they would likely draft OT again in 2021. Doing so would make sense from both a run/pass standpoint with the new ML offense.
WR - Currently stands out as the biggest problem area for this team. The draft would be the most logical way to address this problem but it's not impossible to imagine that they could shop for a free agent WR as well, but I doubt it would be a marquee type name. Packers need a genuine #2 quality WR to complement Adams and they should be looking somewhere in the first two rounds to find one.
ILB - I can't see them wanting to let Martinez get away, in free agency, unless he is expecting to break the bank. He deserves to get paid, but the question is, "How Much?". There are ten NFL ILB's who are paid between $10M to $18M per year salaries. Is Martinez part of that group? The next nine ILB's paid between $8.5M and $6M per year salaries. How much he and his agent value his worth is going to be the determining factor here. Gute may end up drafting a replacement for Martinez, AND signing a mid level FA as well, should Martinez shop himself out of Green Bay.
TE - Just not impressed with the 2020 draft class, unless some underclassmen declare that boosts the talent pool. Gute may be in the FA market for another TE because I agree that Graham and Lewis just aren't in the plans for the future.
QB - This should be in the higher priority category. Taking a potential AR replacement in 2020 gives Gute cover in three ways. 1) A quality backup should AR go down with injury again, 2) Trade bait for a higher draft pick down the road, should this pick develop properly AND should AR stay healthy and play out his contract, and 3) Drafting now gives the kid 2 or 3 years to learn/develop like AR did under Favre.
RB - Mid-round pick that's someone who has similar skill set to AJ, but I could also see going free agency for someone like Kenyon Drake (who's only 26). Packers need more depth at this position. It's something I harped on back in spring at draft time.
DL/DB - Need an upgrade at backup NT. Can't have Clark playing more snaps than he should. Lancaster is try hard guy, but if you can draft an upgrade.........you do. CB and S have depth/talent to groom, but if there is a player on Day 3 that can compete/ungrade this group then you should take him.
OLB - With Tim Smith and Greg Roberts in the mix, should GB make an effort to extend Fackrell, or draft someone in the bak half of the draft.
I know we talk a lot about drafting players who have played their drafted position's in college rather than drafting and converting (especially DE coverted to OLB), but I thought the draft profile for Za'Darius Smith was very interesting.

Strengths
Linear build with well-defined upper body. Plays like his hair is on fire and is more than happy to mix it up with tackles in the trenches. Strong at the point of attack. Can stack and shed blockers using arm extension and power in hands. Will do the dirty work for a defense and is considered a good team-first player.
Weaknesses
Can't bend and trim the edge in pass rush. Stiff hips with limited change of direction. Body is likely maxed out. Traits and athleticism unlikely to excite NFL teams. Not a plus athlete for the position. Didn't churn out consistent production. 4-3 power-end only and might not be a viable pass-rushing option on third down for some teams.
Draft projection Round 3 or 4
Sources Tell Us
"He will play hard for you and has a chance to be a tone-setter in camp, but I don't think he's going to be more than just a worker bee and depth player." -- AFC national scout
NFL Comparison
Anthony Weaver
Bottom Line
Effort-oriented power end with a willingness to battle and fight at the point of attack. He's not big enough to play end in a 3-4, so he'll have to become an above-average run thumper as a 4-3 power end.

Just say'in, if you can identify the traits that would make sense converting a guy, like was done with "Z", then you should not dismiss it out of hand just because it didn't work with someone like Nick Perry.

I think they need to draft AR's (eventual) replacement in this next draft.

One QB I've got my eye on is Jamie Newman (Wake Forest)………..IF he declares as an early entrant since he's a red-shirt junior.

He's got a good arm and can run as well (6-4/230). He might be the right kind of QB that ML could build his offense around, but he needs a couple more years to develop and he could have that playing #2 to AR.

Here's his stats from cfbstats.com

Jamie Newman

Re: Blake Martinez: according to pro football reference, Blake has given up a 90% completion percentage when targeted in coverage. Can't play modern football that way. Time to move on.

Re: Blake Martinez: according to pro football reference, Blake has given up a 90% completion percentage when targeted in coverage. Can't play modern football that way. Time to move on.
But he's second in the NFL in tackles. So at least he's tackling the guy after he gives up the completion. ;)

Guy I take if he's there is moses. He could be that impact ILB we meed.

My thought of the day: If the draft is so deep in WRs, would that bring down prices of UFA receivers? Maybe not the top names who'll get absurd deals to sell tickets, but the WR2/WR3 types...

My thinking: Could draft a receiver with a high pick AND complement with a moderate FA investment.

OK, 3 games left. Three games that will tell us a lot. I'm expecting tough games against 3 divisional opponents and all 3 will likely be close. They could win all 3 or lose all 3 though a loss to the Lions would be a HUGE red flag for me.

Not a lot has changed for me on the personnel side.

- OT remains the #1 need. Bulaga stayed healthier than expected. Maybe they re-sign him to a workable deal. Light is just a body at this point and isn't starter material. Even if Bulaga's back, I draft an OT early.
- ILB has moved up to #2 for me. Martinez might be a guy you can work around but you need another guy next to him. The shortcomings in the middle of the field just seem to look worse as the weeks go by. If Martinez comes cheaper I'd still look to re-sign him but you need to find a guy to play next to him. Burks looks like a flop. Summers and Bolton are "options", but I'm not banking on either of them to be more than depth guys.
- WR might still be need #1 but in a deep draft, maybe I don't look as hard at that position early. I still think they are missing 2 guys. Allison in the slot is not a fit. They need a slot receiver. I think they also need a versatile #2 type. Lazard is a nice piece, just like MVS, but to me neither has the skills to run a full route tree. They are #3/4 guys. Kumerow is just a guy you might want to keep around at the back end of the rotation. St. Brown has some physical talent so it's too early to give up on him. But we haven't seen nearly enough to say he can be a consistent #2.
- DL/DT has become more of a priority. That group has just been underwhelming. Lowry and Lancaster are OK and might be nice rotation guys but you could use another stud up front. Not giving up on Keke yet but he doesn't seem like an answer and Adams is just a guy at this point. I consider one as high as Rd 1 depending on how things fall. It becomes even more of a need if there is a shake-up and a move to a 4-3 is contemplated.
- TE is still hard to call because Tonyan and Sternberger have been injured and so you don't know what you've got. Graham and Lewis both gotta go. Draft a guy in the middle rounds or pick up a journeyman free agent and see what you've got next year.
- QB is a position I'd probably address with a "value/development" type guy. They will be drafting way too late to get one of the top guys.
- RB is good right now though I would take another flier on a guy after Rd 4.
- OLB need is low but you can't turn down value at a premium position.
- DB looks OK, so not much need there other than depth guys, though I'm looking hard at adding a CB later in the draft.

OK, 3 games left. Three games that will tell us a lot. I'm expecting tough games against 3 divisional opponents and all 3 will likely be close. They could win all 3 or lose all 3 though a loss to the Lions would be a HUGE red flag for me.

Not a lot has changed for me on the personnel side.

- OT remains the #1 need. Bulaga stayed healthier than expected. Maybe they re-sign him to a workable deal. Light is just a body at this point and isn't starter material. Even if Bulaga's back, I draft an OT early.
- ILB has moved up to #2 for me. Martinez might be a guy you can work around but you need another guy next to him. The shortcomings in the middle of the field just seem to look worse as the weeks go by. If Martinez comes cheaper I'd still look to re-sign him but you need to find a guy to play next to him. Burks looks like a flop. Summers and Bolton are "options", but I'm not banking on either of them to be more than depth guys.
- WR might still be need #1 but in a deep draft, maybe I don't look as hard at that position early. I still think they are missing 2 guys. Allison in the slot is not a fit. They need a slot receiver. I think they also need a versatile #2 type. Lazard is a nice piece, just like MVS, but to me neither has the skills to run a full route tree. They are #3/4 guys. Kumerow is just a guy you might want to keep around at the back end of the rotation. St. Brown has some physical talent so it's too early to give up on him. But we haven't seen nearly enough to say he can be a consistent #2.
- DL/DT has become more of a priority. That group has just been underwhelming. Lowry and Lancaster are OK and might be nice rotation guys but you could use another stud up front. Not giving up on Keke yet but he doesn't seem like an answer and Adams is just a guy at this point. I consider one as high as Rd 1 depending on how things fall. It becomes even more of a need if there is a shake-up and a move to a 4-3 is contemplated.
- TE is still hard to call because Tonyan and Sternberger have been injured and so you don't know what you've got. Graham and Lewis both gotta go. Draft a guy in the middle rounds or pick up a journeyman free agent and see what you've got next year.
- QB is a position I'd probably address with a "value/development" type guy. They will be drafting way too late to get one of the top guys.
- RB is good right now though I would take another flier on a guy after Rd 4.
- OLB need is low but you can't turn down value at a premium position.
- DB looks OK, so not much need there other than depth guys, though I'm looking hard at adding a CB later in the draft.
Lazard and MVS and St. Brown and Shepard I let them go through TC see what they look like. If they are good enough they can be on the roster as back end guys nothing more I expect. Allison I will not resign. Kumerow is a ERFA I think still so you probably bring him in for depth during TC but I am not expecting him to be on roster he offers and has given nothing in 2 years. I will see what's out there in FA as a veteran #2 for WR but also looking to take a WR in the second or third round also.

DL you might be able to add a decent vet for a decent price as it seems there will be quite a few decent DL on the FA market this year. LB seems very thin in FA and would have to look to the draft to improve there.

Spent a minute at Watersfootball trying to get a pulse on what others are thinking by looking at the 7 most recent mock drafts (walters, drafttek,sportbank,cbs,mynfldraft,fanspeak brad and williams,free agent forecast,). Walters had the only OL in Solomon Kindley Georgia. Free Agent had us getting Marvin Wilson DT Florida State. All the others had us grabbing a WR, Ruggs x2, Reagor x2, Shenault, and KJ Hamler. I also checked Scott Wright, he has us picking a ILB from Utah state. Looking at the positions I would agree with most of assessments of our needs, but much can and will change with FA this year. I also notice that they all had us picking at 28, which is clearly an oversite that will be corrected after the SB when we will be picking from the 32 spot.

Back