The "position and "players" we need to draft in 2020 Thread.

At least Ted's not sitting here end of 1st round being offered a bag of magic beans for his pick.

The need at OL hasn't really changed much for me, but the relative health of Bulaga and the late addition of Veldheer has made it seem less concerning than at was a couple of months ago. I have no grand illusions of Veldheer, but it was nice to see a veteran step in last Sunday and not have it be an adventure on every drop-back. I now wonder if they consider bringing back both of those veteran guys next year, which could really stabilize the OT spot for a season (or two?). I think you could keep both of them for less than Bulaga and Taylor were costing you this year - unless the OL market is crazy this off-season.

With Patrick being signed on a more "long-term" basis now, it seems a foregone conclusion that Lane Taylor is out. I'd actually consider re-signing both Bulaga and Veldheer to short deals you can easily dump, and drafting a guy early to compete at OT. Spriggs is done for me and I only bring back Light as a camp body because he doesn't cost anything. I also consider drafting an interior OL guy later in the draft to add depth.

Spent a minute at Watersfootball trying to get a pulse on what others are thinking by looking at the 8 most recent mock drafts (walters, San Diego Trib, NFL Geek, cbs-Wilson, mynfldraft,fanspeak-williams, NBC, Draftblasters). OL was the winner this week. Solomon Kindley - Georgia x2, Josh Jones- Houston and Tyler Biadasz -UW. In second place was WR, Reagor-TCU x2, and Devonta Smith - ALambama. Finally a new position to first round ILB Kenneth Murray - OK. Looking at the positions I would agree with most of assessments of our needs, but much can and will change with FA this year. I also notice that they all had us picking at 29, a improvement over last weeks position but clearly not high enough ;) .

I dont understand the Kindley pick at all. I dont think he even sniffs the 1st round and 2 we are married to turner and set at LG for a long time. Just a silly projection imo

I will say this, I like some of walters intel at his site (the site pop up are a mess) but for all the time I have been tracking the Draft (~14 years) Walter has not even come close to getting out 1st round right. Charlie mocks are a bit more realistic. The only way I would draft Solomon Kindley is if he heads and shoulders better then all other remaining draft picks.
I am grabbing 8 most recent drafts once a week to see if statistically in 5 weeks if I can see a trend in who we might be selecting. I know garbage in garbage out, but this is the best garbage I can grab in a short period and that should have some variability. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. :cool:

I don't think the Packers will trade up for anyone this year. I think they know they're two drafts out from being highly competitive. This year is possibly an omen for the future, but they're going to need to replace quite a few guys who will be jumping through free agency. If anything, they might even trade down to get an early 2nd round pick, and an early 4th. Possibly even a deal that involves one pick this year, and one or two next year. To do that, could mean trading a roster guy and our #1.

That said, I'm still curious to see how they handle our free agents.

Gonna wait and enjoy the next few months. Who knows? We could actually end up drafting #32, and that I could handle. It's what you gotta to do to end up there that counts.

Back