The Rodgers Contract and his future in GB

FlaPack

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think Marks point on wait and see is the most logical approach at this point but any organization needs to look at this on a long term basis. If you can't compete is he worth $33.5M as a cap hit in 2021? Many on this board, rightfully so argued that Flacco was not (in relative terms) and thats valid. So it begs the question when the contact starts to show a cap savings (2021 or 2022) do you move on then or maximize the value and explore it next year? I know its not a popular discussion or decision but it a reasonable discussion

Good question. First as stated I am waiting 6-8 games into next season. Now let me add in there the caveat that I am assuming Rodgers picks up a new offense quickly. If he is still regressing through next season then as an organization you have to think about making the switch withing the next 24 months.

I am drafting a Finley or Thorson this yr regardless for two reasons. 1. For the worries as discussed 2. The new wave of offense fits a Thorson more then a Rodgers right now. Better get ready for the inevitable switch regardless.

This really is a question with many variables and has no correct answers at this moment. Too many unknowns in the equation. tc(

I thought giving Rodgers an extension this year was a bad idea. There was way too much left on his old contract to be in that kind of hurry.

Good question. First as stated I am waiting 6-8 games into next season. Now let me add in there the caveat that I am assuming Rodgers picks up a new offense quickly. If he is still regressing through next season then as an organization you have to think about making the switch withing the next 24 months.

I am drafting a Finley or Thorson this yr regardless for two reasons. 1. For the worries as discussed 2. The new wave of offense fits a Thorson more then a Rodgers right now. Better get ready for the inevitable switch regardless.

This really is a question with many variables and has no correct answers at this moment. Too many unknowns in the equation. tc(
Imagine the marketing possibilities in an area with a heavy scandinavian population of you could nickname the guy playing in the great white North "Thor" :)

I think Marks point on wait and see is the most logical approach at this point but any organization needs to look at this on a long term basis. If you can't compete is he worth $33.5M as a cap hit in 2021? Many on this board, rightfully so argued that Flacco was not (in relative terms) and thats valid. So it begs the question when the contact starts to show a cap savings (2021 or 2022) do you move on then or maximize the value and explore it next year? I know its not a popular discussion or decision but it a reasonable discussion
I think you do play Rodgers in 2021 just because you save only 9.5 million can you get a better QB at that point to start for $9.5 million? It's probably unlikely but in 2022 I see then he is totally on the block to be cut or traded as his dead money to cap space has a gap of 25.5 million

Here's my analogy: I'm a hockey fan. Last year the NY Rangers looked at their conference, looked at their roster, looked at current contracts and decided it was in their best interest to trade off some of their best players and rebuild. They have an aging HOF caliber goalie named Henrik Lundqvist who has been the face of the franchise since 2005. Management sat down with him and told him like it was - we're trading off vets, we're rebuilding with youth, we will add players in FA as we can but the mandate is the future, not this year or next. They said we respect you, we know at this point in your career you want to be part of a winner - we love you here and want you to be a part of this team, but if you want us to trade you, we will do it. Henrik committed to staying with the Rangers, and so with everyone on the same page, they moved forward and the chips will fall where they may.

Shoulda/woulda/coulda with Rodgers' contract is useless. He's under contract. He is the age he is. Before anything is done and any coach hired, I really believe that Gute and Murphy need to sit down with this guy and have a heart to heart. They need to know where his head is. They need to LEAD. Say this is our vision for the team, this is where we're going. You mean a great deal to the franchise and we want you here, but things are going to be different. If you aren't on board with that, no hard feelings, we will find a trade partner. If you are on board, you need to be all the way on board. You do this before you hire a HC because those good HC candidates need good information about the situation they're walking into.

This situation can work out for good in a number of ways, and for bad in a number of ways. I don't believe any one factor sets that in stone one way or the other. Step 1 IMO though needs to be communication.

Back