Three problems that are costing the Bucks every game

TW

Reaction score
First is the insistence to shoot 3s, no matter what the score. Up by 18, and throwing up bricks is just plain stupid. You work the clock and get good shots at short range, instead of continuing to pop from long range when you're hardly hitting 30% out there. Secondly, they need to make free throws. They are horrible at the line, from the perspective that the guys that get there are bad foul shooters. It's not too often that you have to bench your best player at crunch time if the other team intends to intentionally commit fouls, to extend the game. Such is the fate of Giannis.

Third, defense. What happened to last year's amazing defense?

I have watched all 4 games and #1 its 4 games in so I am not going to panic or overreact. #1b issue is defense. They continue to have the inability to guard the pick and roll, very similar to the Toronto series. Not sure its effort but one thing I see is that Matthews is a liability on defense where Brogdon was not. I don't think its the entire issue but it shows. Defensive rotation continues to be an issue. They are allowing 117.5 PPG and issue #2 they cant rebound sans Giannis, 3rd in the league on rebounds allowed

As to shooting 3's that the system, "Five Out" which in its simplest form is to creates driving lanes, takes defenders out the paint, its about spacing kick out to wings In a perfect world we could use one more athletic wing over 6-6 ( Jimmy Butler type) to get into the paint or take a defender one on one but we signed Matthews, Korver, who have made money in the league behind the line. Middleton is not especially quick, clearly Lopez and Illiasova is not either. And until #34 can hit a 15-20 foot shot consistently defenses are going to sag back and take away the midrange shot. I said it last week I would get Gannis more sets on the block instead of at the top of the key but the more you watch this team the offense all that creates is double teams and more perimeter looks. They shot 35% last year from 3 and thats the pace this year. They are getting open looks.

FT's yeah are an issue but its 4 games in so lets see how that looks 20-25 games in.

Coach Bud stated the early season problems pretty well, a couple of days ago. They weren't scoring in the paint, and they began to constantly work on it in practice, just a few games into the season. The results are obvious. The Bucks have become a better team for it. Even their 3s have improved because they are forcing teams to play driving lanes, and creating fouls.

He reiterated that the inside game was lacking because they didn't emphasize it like they should have from the start.

At this point in the season, they may well be the elite team in the league. They can put anyone down if they choose, on a given night. Now they need to maintain that killer attitude on the court.

The defense the last 12 games has been spectacular. First 12 games they held teams to under 100 only 2x, next 11 4x. Rotations have been better and I have really liked the minutes The Big Ragu has a given them and Bledsoe has been playing with pace and in control.

Bledsoe's injury ended up being a blessing. It increased the playing time for several players, and they've responded well. This could end up being a record breaking season for Bucks records.

Bucks are shooting 35% from the three point line. That is actually better than shooting 50% for 2s.

35/100 3s equals 105 points
50/100 2s equals 100 points.
This is why Coach Bud has them firing up the open 3s.

Bucks are shooting 35% from the three point line. That is actually better than shooting 50% for 2s.

35/100 3s equals 105 points
50/100 2s equals 100 points.
This is why Coach Bud has them firing up the open 3s.

You're absolutely right. In fact, the Bucks are at 48.3% on the two, and 35.4% on threes. That extrapolates to 97 versus 106. That's a darned big difference.

I think Bud's purpose for working the paint more was to create better opportunities for the 3, instead of having them contested too much. Based on rank within the league, the Bucks are #2 in 2 point FG percentage, and #16 in 3 points attempts. They are also #1 in points scored, and #1 in rebounding.

This is a team that needs to be reckoned with. They're going to make a lot of waves.

The game is so different than what it was back when the Bucks won their only championship. They're not even comparable.

Just the eye test but I think a lot of points in the paint are coming from Bledsoe playing under control....he’s getting to the rim more efficiently than last year and when he gets to the rim he can dish off to Giannis of Lopez, score or kick the ball out. Fun team to watch.

I do believe Bledsoe is a big part of it. Last year it was really only Giannis slashing to the rim. Now we're seeing more players doing it, and Bledsoe leading the charge.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Brogdon was more of a slasher. Bledsoe wasn't. He's accepted the role now.

I do believe Bledsoe is a big part of it. Last year it was really only Giannis slashing to the rim. Now we're seeing more players doing it, and Bledsoe leading the charge.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Brogdon was more of a slasher. Bledsoe wasn't. He's accepted the role now.

I remember Chuck and Shaq having discussions about this last year and both said how Bledsoe goes so does Milwaukee and they nailed it. It’s not just how he gets in the lane but he’s controlling pace.

Back