Warriors get a pass

TW

Reaction score
Even if the Raptors win the next game and take GS out 4-1, the Warriors get a pass on the loss. Playing without their best player, and the sequence of injuries that have hurt various players throughout the entire playoffs - What can one expect?

Getting significant depth on a roster can sometimes be deceiving. You may think you're ready to take on all comers, but in the end, each style of basketball can create a different test. That's exactly what derailed the Bucks this year. A different style, in Toronto's physical game, and movement off the ball. They were constantly on the move.

What puzzled me - reference the Bucks - was that they seemed to be the best team in the league at wearing their opponents down, and even did so for the first two games against Toronto. What caused it to end, and why didn't the coaching staff address what was obviously spacing problems on the floor? It's like they were satisfied with being out-muscled.

What puzzled me - reference the Bucks - was that they seemed to be the best team in the league at wearing their opponents down, and even did so for the first two games against Toronto. What caused it to end, and why didn't the coaching staff address what was obviously spacing problems on the floor? It's like they were satisfied with being out-muscled.

Said this since the series ended. It came down to defense and bench. Toronto did a great job of exposing what the Bucks did all year. Milwaukee switched on the pick probably 90% of the time and Raptors did a great job of putting Lopez and Mirotic on Lowry and Van Vleet. Bud then went to Brogdon and it helped but how many times did you see Lopez one on one vs Powell ? Too many.

As to bench Powell, Ibaka and Van Vleet straight outplayed Connaughton, Ilyasova and Brown. Hill was the only exception. Look at Van Vleet from 3 (defense switching).

While spacing was an issue so was poor 3 point shooting and decision making. Giannis made so many poor reads so did Bledsoe. One play stood out...Giannis drives, Mirotic wide open next to him on the wing but makes a cross court pass OB to Middleton. Happened a lot. And Brogdon was outplayed also after game 2. In a way he was exposed a bit.

VanVleet is a better player than I thought. I watched him play three games when he was going to Auburn in Rockford. One against Hononegah, and the other two against Boylan. He was an exceptional ball handler and had a soft shot, but I never envisioned him becoming as good as he has in the NBA.

When I watched him play on TV while at Wichita State, you could see glimmers of what he could do, but he never seemed to turn it loose. To think Golden State dumped him and he ended up with the Raptors? Karma!

VanVleet is a better player than I thought. I watched him play three games when he was going to Auburn in Rockford. One against Hononegah, and the other two against Boylan. He was an exceptional ball handler and had a soft shot, but I never envisioned him becoming as good as he has in the NBA.

When I watched him play on TV while at Wichita State, you could see glimmers of what he could do, but he never seemed to turn it loose. To think Golden State dumped him and he ended up with the Raptors? Karma!
I think we underestimated the entire Toronto team and yes agree with you on Van Vleet

When did he plays for GS? He was a UDFA and signed with Toronto after W. State

The way I gather what happened is that GS wanted to sign him into the developmental program at about $20k a year, and he wasn't interested. He wasn't drafted so, a free agent to go where he wanted. From a source I know of he, would have rather gone to Europe to play for a year for a decent salary, but things worked out better for him. Golden State never followed up with him on getting him into their camp, so it was their loss.

He's been a life-long Bulls fan, and has worn #23 everywhere he's played. He's stayed connected to Rockford.

The way I gather what happened is that GS wanted to sign him into the developmental program at about $20k a year, and he wasn't interested. He wasn't drafted so, a free agent to go where he wanted. From a source I know of he, would have rather gone to Europe to play for a year for a decent salary, but things worked out better for him. Golden State never followed up with him on getting him into their camp, so it was their loss.

He's been a life-long Bulls fan, and has worn #23 everywhere he's played. He's stayed connected to Rockford.
All I can see is he played in the G League in 2017 for the Toronto. G League salaries are set for 35,000 per year.

I took a look at what some guys made from training camp and yikes J.P. Tokoto $100,000?? Must be some camp guaranteed $ but for him?

Maybe their offer was $20k camp guarantee? Not certain, but I do know they could have had him if they'd gotten the offer right. The biggest problem was (I'm guessing here, not facts) could have been that he wanted to stay close to his roots, so the Bulls and Bucks would have possibly been his first choice.

His Son was born in Rockford, and they've been living there as well. He has family in the health services industry in that area, and his wife is his high school girlfriend, so I'd imagine getting a low ball offer out of GS wasn't something that would interest him.

All I can say is that I know from a reliable source that he turned down an "offer" from GS. They let him walk away over a few bucks the way it sounds.

Back